ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #76
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer
 
EricD10563's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Central Arizona
Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiboy View Post
Why buy a Harley? I have to say that i'm not sure why.. I bought a brand new Sportster last month, and while it has some qualities that I like, it has many that I dont.
Put simply, a Jap bike, or BMW or Triumph etc, is ready to ride straight out the crate.My Sportster wasn't; suspension upgrades needed to be done, stage 1 tune etc just to get it to perform at the same level as a rice burner..
Harley's (at least in the UK) are seriously expensive and having to spend more cash on them to get them to a decent level of rideability is not on.
They look good, sound nice and appeal to the non biking public but I can't help thinking that HD's marketing dept is where most of the budget is spent..
Take a R1200RT, ST1300, FJR1300, Triumph 1050GT etc out for a long test ride and then take out a Harley for a spin and judge them objectively as motorcycles and see what conclusion you come up with..
They do have a good marketing department department, got you to buy one didn't they?
__________________
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 97k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #77
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 6,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiboy View Post
Why buy a Harley? I have to say that i'm not sure why.. I bought a brand new Sportster last month, and while it has some qualities that I like, it has many that I dont.
Put simply, a Jap bike, or BMW or Triumph etc, is ready to ride straight out the crate.My Sportster wasn't; suspension upgrades needed to be done, stage 1 tune etc just to get it to perform at the same level as a rice burner..
Harley's (at least in the UK) are seriously expensive and having to spend more cash on them to get them to a decent level of rideability is not on.
They look good, sound nice and appeal to the non biking public but I can't help thinking that HD's marketing dept is where most of the budget is spent..
Take a R1200RT, ST1300, FJR1300, Triumph 1050GT etc out for a long test ride and then take out a Harley for a spin and judge them objectively as motorcycles and see what conclusion you come up with..
I owned a 2007 Sportster for four years and never upgraded squat. Best bike ever. I still miss it. If it's not ready for YOU right out of the box, that's one thing, but it's not an objective observation.




Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
the only thing I could come up with after two Harley test rides was that Harley owners never go around corners with much momentum. I dragged the pegs leaving the parking lot....

....oh and welcome to the nuthouse

You just have to learn to ride it. Going quick around a corner is not about lean angle, it's about where your center of gravity is. Riding one bike is not the same as riding another. Harley's and other cruisers require a different style to hustle them around corners... a more... active style, we'll say.
__________________
Because so much is riding on your tires.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #78
Rinty
Studly Adventurer
 
Rinty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Oddometer: 549
I only own one bike, a sport tourer, and don't wan't any more bikes, but if I did, the next one would be a cruiser and one would be a vintage bike.

The cruiser would be a SuperGlide Sport. I once rented a Harley Low Rider for a trip, and it was a lot of fun.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #79
ukiboy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 51
Well, I weigh 185 lbs and as stock the bike's suspension bottomed out front and rear. That was on normal roads, riding in a normal way.. And the fact that hardly any Harley remains totally stock speaks volumes about the shortcomings.

Most jap, German, Italian or Brit bikes remain in the same condition as when they left the factory; most Harley's don't. That's just a fact.. As totally standard they can't compete with the competition.
ukiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #80
ukiboy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
They do have a good marketing department department, got you to buy one didn't they?
Yeah, their marketing dept is second to none! I always fancied a Harley and last month I made my dream a reality. Happy enough with my sporty but unlike many hog owners I'm not blind to the harsh realities ;-)
ukiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #81
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 6,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiboy View Post
Well, I weigh 185 lbs and as stock the bike's suspension bottomed out front and rear. That was on normal roads, riding in a normal way.. And the fact that hardly any Harley remains totally stock speaks volumes about the shortcomings.

Most jap, German, Italian or Brit bikes remain in the same condition as when they left the factory; most Harley's don't. That's just a fact.. As totally standard they can't compete with the competition.
I weighed 215 when I had that sporty, once I set the preload on the rear right, it almost never bottomed out.

The fact that most harleys don't stay stock speaks more to people wanting a bike set up exactly the way they want it. People don't buy a harley for blistering performance. They buy it for intangible reasons that only Harley fans get. To buy one and then complain about buying upgrades is a bit crazy.
__________________
Because so much is riding on your tires.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #82
the kawasaki kid
Gnarly Adventurer
 
the kawasaki kid's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: New England
Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
I owned a 2007 Sportster for four years and never upgraded squat. Best bike ever. I still miss it. If it's not ready for YOU right out of the box, that's one thing, but it's not an objective observation.






You just have to learn to ride it. Going quick around a corner is not about lean angle, it's about where your center of gravity is. Riding one bike is not the same as riding another. Harley's and other cruisers require a different style to hustle them around corners... a more... active style, we'll say.
+1 my '08 1200C sporty was phenomenal right out of the box. Never modded it and never felt the need to. Mine loved zipping through twisties, but they're not crotch rockets and I was well aware of that when I bought it. I regret selling mine almost daily.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 View Post
I tossed her in a gas station garbage can,fuckin hoe.
the kawasaki kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #83
Rinty
Studly Adventurer
 
Rinty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiboy View Post

Most ... German ... bikes remain in the same condition as when they left the factory; most Harley's don't. That's just a fact.. As totally standard they can't compete with the competition.
Like, uh, BMWs?
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #84
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 6,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by the kawasaki kid View Post
+1 my '08 1200C sporty was phenomenal right out of the box. Never modded it and never felt the need to. Mine loved zipping through twisties, but they're not crotch rockets and I was well aware of that when I bought it. I regret selling mine almost daily.
After I sold mine I got Kawi C10. Found out it wasn't my flavor. I wanted to get another harley, but I couldn't afford one (2 kids and stuff) so I settled for a Shadow Sabre. Bags, boards, the whole deal. It actually fits me similar to my step-dad's roadking.

I'll get another... someday.
__________________
Because so much is riding on your tires.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #85
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SnappNBrrap's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Nashvegas, Tennersee
Oddometer: 172
dont, i would buy a Victory instead.

i dislike hogs but:

-they get really good mileage (not really sure how)
-they can be really pretty
-they are actually kind of reliable if you dont change a bunch of shit
-RESALE value

and the negatives (the ones that are factual)

-heavy
-not too great in the braking dept.
-people will hate you just because you ride a "murdersickle"
-you will be forced to buy tons of Harley shit or somebody will murder your dog
-they vibrate like crazy, just look at anybody sitting on a hog at a redlight
-they're expensive especially if you buy new, but i wouldnt trust a used harley so...
__________________
This Turkey, don't jive.

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #86
royal
Don't Follow
 
royal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Amherst, NH
Oddometer: 645
I've been watching this thread with some interest as I was kind of in the same boat this time last year. After owning various "Sport touring bikes" such as BMW RT1200, Honda ST1300, Kawasaki C-14, I felt I wanted to change things up a bit.

So, I bought a 2012 Electra Glide Classic. And I have to admit that this bike has put the fun back in motorcycling for me. I just can't help but smile every time I ride it. Now, to be honest, I ride it differently than I rode my previous bikes. I'm more relaxed, more into my surroundings, and just plain more comfortable. And just as importantly, as another poster mentioned in a previous thread, if you have a bike that when you park it and start walking away, you turn just to look at it again, then you have the right bike. With this one, I always look back. Never did with my previous bikes.

Harley isn't Honda, BMW, Kawasaki or Yamaha, but they aren't trying to be and I'm sure don't want to be. Maybe Harley is for you and maybe they aren't. But for me and what I want out of motorcycling at the moment, it sure fits my bill. And for reference, my bike is totally stock, I'm 51, 225 lbs. and 5' 11".
__________________
I'm wasted and I can't find my way home....
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #87
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Just Pass'n Through....
Oddometer: 1,204
The Japs make disposable bikes. Harleys have parts support to run forever....




.
Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #88
BCC
I know better
 
BCC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Southern NJ
Oddometer: 8,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal View Post
I've been watching this thread with some interest as I was kind of in the same boat this time last year. After owning various "Sport touring bikes" such as BMW RT1200, Honda ST1300, Kawasaki C-14, I felt I wanted to change things up a bit.

So, I bought a 2012 Electra Glide Classic. And I have to admit that this bike has put the fun back in motorcycling for me. I just can't help but smile every time I ride it. Now, to be honest, I ride it differently than I rode my previous bikes. I'm more relaxed, more into my surroundings, and just plain more comfortable. And just as importantly, as another poster mentioned in a previous thread, if you have a bike that when you park it and start walking away, you turn just to look at it again, then you have the right bike. With this one, I always look back. Never did with my previous bikes.

Harley isn't Honda, BMW, Kawasaki or Yamaha, but they aren't trying to be and I'm sure don't want to be. Maybe Harley is for you and maybe they aren't. But for me and what I want out of motorcycling at the moment, it sure fits my bill. And for reference, my bike is totally stock, I'm 51, 225 lbs. and 5' 11".
I'm older, taller and lighter, but other than that, I could have written this.
__________________
Living the fullest life means leaving a history of goodness behind you for others to remember.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #89
davevv
One more old rider
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Just north of Dallas
Oddometer: 2,365
If you want the upgrades on a Harley but don't want to spend the money for them, the simple answer is to find a used one with everything you want and buy that instead of a new one. You'll spend less than the price of a new one and get the upgrades free.

I bought my XL1200R last year with only 3750 miles and it already had the stage one on it. Less than half the price of any new Sportster. The Electra Glide had 11k miles and stage one upgrades, cruise, and ABS for roughly $7k less than a new one. I did have to put tires on the Roadster though, those 8 year old Dunlops were HARD.
__________________
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything"--Wyatt Earp
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere.
'04 Sportster XL1200R
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #90
JerryH
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
I think we're pretty sure by now that he's older than dirt since he keeps saying standard bikes have such uncomfortable rearset pegs
I will be 54 in a couple of weeks. I started riding at age 8 (on dirt) and got my first street bike at age 15, a used Suzuki GT380, and put 20, 673 miles on it. I got my motorcycle endorsement at age 16, on my birthday, before noon. I got my first new streetbike at age 20, a 1980 Suzuki GS450L, and put 38,145 miles on it. I have owned a total of 46 bikes (19 of them bought brand new) including the GT380 and my latest acquisition, the 2012 Zuma 125 (currently with just under 3,000 miles) The 46 bikes include 5 scooters and 3 mopeds. I put just over 20,000 miles on the mopeds, and have just over 24,000 miles on my '08 Yamaha Vino 125, bought new in '07. I average about 15,000 miles a year. I currently own 6 bikes, and ride them all. I actually have records for most of it, as I always counted the miles I put on a bike before selling/trading it. I put 81,000 on a 1993 Vulcan 750 in 10 years, and currently have 77,000+ miles on my '02 Vulcan 750. I probably have more miles on Vulcan 750s than anyone else in the world. It firs me PERFECTLY, not a single thing out of place. The 37,366 miles on Goldwings are 23,491 on a 1985 GL1200LTD, and 13, 875 on a 1995 GL1500SE. These are the numbers I have written down. All added up, all the numbers come out to just over 500,000 miles in 36 years. Many have twice that mileage. I have not ridden as much during the past several months, due to serious problems with arthritis, left knee and left shoulder in particular (I fell off a ladder a while back, on my left side, and did some serious damage) That is why I have been here so much (and why I cannot ride a bike with rearset pegs and low bars) I've been riding the scooters more than the motorcycles (no shifting and clutching) and was seriously thinking about giving up motorcycles, until I saw the new Honda CTX700. I am on the fence about selling the Goldwing, but will never part with the Vulcan 750. Even if I ever get where I can't ride it anymore, or it just plain wears out, I will park it in the back yard under a cover and leave it there. It is by far the best of all 46 bikes.

Oh, to the OP, get the Harley while you can. I have never owned a Harley, and have serious regrets about it. I feel I have really missed out on a big part of the motorcycling experience because of it. It's to late for me to justify investing in a big twin, though I might be able to handle a Sportster ok.

JerryH screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 03:32 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015