User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Jumpster OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
New Krista LED on GSA - Troubleshooting

I just installed set of Krista LED lights with the new GSA headlight jumper kit that should be plug n play with OEM wiring harness. Worked fine on first connection and then after tying off the wiring, now only right light works and potentiometer does not adjust brightness. Lights are powered by the Adventure fog light connector on the left side. I've checked and reconnected all connections and they seem right.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot or advice? I've called Clearwater but they're out for the day and I'm dying to wrap this up.
Jumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Steiney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I just did the same install on my GSA, no problems though. Disconnect everything and start over without the wire ties to see if they work again. It's possible that tying them up caused a wire to be pulled out the backside of a wire harness. Also, make sure the harness into the headlight assembly is all the way in and the factory harness that plugs into that jumper harness is secure as well. Can't think of anything else since it's such a straight forward install. Best of luck with it - you will definitely be shocked at how much light they put out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Check your Fog light fuses. I had a similar issue connecting new LED fogs to a GSA last weekend.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 568
Just a note. I just did an install on a GS with the new headlight plug n play harness. I did not have an issue at all with only one light operating but the volume control did nothing. I removed the headlight plug n play adapter and wired it up the old way, still no volume control.

Clearwater shipped out a new harness and all is now working fine. Maybe they had a bad run?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,724
GSA Fog Light fuses:

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Do all of the GSA's have the fuses in that spot?
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
Do all of the GSA's have the fuses in that spot?
Yup!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
jeanyves
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I had the same thing

Last August I order the same set ,they both initially came on then within less than 2 min then one went out ,had power and ground to it,call krista ,sent the light there and they found a bad soldering on one connection ,turn around time was very fast ,work flawlessly after that
jeanyves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
kk3an
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
You indicate you're running both Krista's off one side's connector lead only.

I'm also running Krista's on a '13 GSA - however one side is powered from the left lead, and the other from the right, with no issues whatsoever.

Dan
kk3an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpster View Post
I just installed set of Krista LED lights with the new GSA headlight jumper kit that should be plug n play with OEM wiring harness. Worked fine on first connection and then after tying off the wiring, now only right light works and potentiometer does not adjust brightness. Lights are powered by the Adventure fog light connector on the left side. I've checked and reconnected all connections and they seem right.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot or advice? I've called Clearwater but they're out for the day and I'm dying to wrap this up.
Can't wait for a night ride and check them out tomorrow? I know the feeling.

Honestly - if you don't have a multimeter handy, then I would tear everything apart and start again. If you had everything working correctly at first (key point here) and then it quit working after you tied everything up - then it seems you have a bad connection someplace - ground or what ever. Either that or a component just decided to go.

It's now midnight your time... yep... I'd still be up.

I have another setup other than the Krista's; in which each light is powered by each individual oem fog light wiring. See what Clearwater suggests on that one, personally I'd split them up.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Jumpster OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks All!!

You guys are absolutely amazing. Quick responses and good advice. That said, spent an hour with Clearwater troubleshooting and we've concluded a bad wire in the harness leading to the volume control and bad light. Both winging their way to CA and I await their return. Thanks for all your fast responses!
Jumpster is offline   Reply With Quote