User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
navyrider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Heidenau puzzler

I am having an issue with the rear tire on my GS Adventure. The tire, a newly mounted Heidenau ( tubeless) will not hold pressure when I run at interstate speed for an hour or so, it completely loses all pressure. The bike can sit and hold 40 lbs for 5 days or I can drop the pressure to 30lbs , ride dirt all day and no drop in pressure. I ran the pressure up to 40lbs , sprayed windew on valve stem, around the rims and no bubbles. This senario has happened two times within the the last 3 weeks.

Could the problem be related to when the tire heats up, at this point I am just guessing. Thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks !!!!!
navyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,588
Sounds very unsafe to me. I would send Heidenau an email. I think they should replace the tire.

And, really look over the valve stem. Any chance of a crack that is opening up at speed? Personally, I run steel valve stems.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,145
Use steel valve stem caps with the rubber insert so that they form an airtight seal when screwed down securely on the valve stem. Otherwise the centrifugal force of the wheal spinning can open the schrader valve enough to let air escape when at highway speeds.

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Yeahbaby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Have you checked the valve stem itself. This year on the highway north from Yakima, I was running normal speeds minding my own business. I had a sudden deflation of a brand new tire. WTF, When I stopped I could find no nail or punctures. Couldn't figure it out. When I brushed my hand against the valve stem, voilà. Found the problem. Not a split or tear on the valve stem rubber a one would think. The metal stem de-vulcanized from the surrounding rubber. With the remaining air in the tire, it actually was spit out on to the ground. Yes, I have witnesses! Try to explain that one. So for now on, every 2nd tire will get a new valve stem.

When you start loosing your mind over a woman remember this one simple fact.................it's just the hairy end of a gut!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeahbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
I recently read a random post regarding air loss on the Heidenau's when mounted on spoke wheels (as opposed to the stock cast GS rims). Something about a slightly different set of dimensions at the point where the bead sits.

Might be a rabbit trail...might be something to look into.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
best thing to do is to put 60 psi or so and submerge the entire wheel and tire and look for bubbles. a large container with water and roll the wheel around with the rim and tire under and find the leak. by increasing the pressure it will simulate the conditions of heat and stress when on the road. or take it to where it was installed they should do the same thing.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,209
It could be a problem with the bead seating properly on the rim. Try breaking the bead, rotating the tire on the wheel a little bit and reseting the bead...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
rgb2cmyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post
I recently read a random post regarding air loss on the Heidenau's when mounted on spoke wheels (as opposed to the stock cast GS rims). Something about a slightly different set of dimensions at the point where the bead sits.

Might be a rabbit trail...might be something to look into.
I'm one of the people who've had issue with the slow leak on Heidenau's. But it's always been the front wheel on spokes that's the issue, and especially acute when off road where I could lose 20psi in a couple hours if that, yet ride home without issue.

This might be related, but I'd spend a little more time on the valve stem before chocking it up to the same slow leak that other's have experienced because this sounds a little different.
09 R1200 GSA (Totaled by SS Sandy)
06 Husky TE450, 04 R1100s BCR, 03 F650CS
rgb2cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
PaulGinAZ
FNG

Oddometer: 259
Is it the front or rear (or both) that is causing the issue?

I had a problem with a front K60 on my spoked wheel 2007 R1200GS that would cause the tire to lose just about all of its' air pressure within an hour or so of riding on the street. It turned out that there was a seating procedure that Moto-Amore' (the distributor of Heidenau in the US) ended up revising and sending out after a rash of these failures started to crop up.

With a fresh new tire you are supposed to seat the tire at 60 PSI and then ride around roughly a mile at low speeds and then reduce your tire pressure to the appropriate amount. I found that the bead on these tires is so hard that the slight flat spot that shows up on every spoked wheel where they weld the rim together doesn't allow proper seating if you just pump them up to 34 PSI and then roll forward after your initial mounting.

After I contacted Moto Amore' about my issue they suggested that I dismount the tire, remount the tire after inspection and then try what I outlined above after careful inspection of the rim bead. You may want to scuff up the area around the flat spot and see if that helps along with a little bit of silicone sealant on that area as well.

My tire now stays within a few PSI every week and that is good enough for me considering how strong the sidewall is on these tires.

Hope that helps.
-1989 VW Syncro Tristar TDi (long-term project)
-Too many bikes and cars in my sordid past to list...
PaulGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
B-Nice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thanks NavyRider for the putting this question out there. I replaced the valve stem and put a step cap with a rubber washer insert and I will see how it works. I am on my third set of Heidenau K60's and this is the only problem I have encountered so far. Otherwise, they have been AWESOME!
B-Nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #11
mikerd400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
I had a set of Heidenaus mounted last year and my front would lose pressure. The tire was defective. The bead had a couple of imperfections, which would not seal on the rim. I used soapy water on the tire and the bead to find the leaks.
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
Proud to be Riff Raff 2011!

Riff Raff 07, 08, 09, and 10!
mikerd400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #12
koenig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Weird Leak

Funny this should come up now. Jumped on the bike the other morning, flat rear tyre. Inflated the tyre dropped it into the horse trough and found it leaking around the bead. This tyre has done 14000kms without a problem. Go figure. Otherwise a great Hiedenau fan. Wonder what the new Metzlers will be like. (I like elephants)
Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 AM   #13
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,298
I would be concerned. Mitas has recalled all 2011 and 2012 production of 19 inch tubeless E07 tyres as they can suddenly lose all air pressure. I had one fitted, fell off and busted my leg.

Not saying Heidenau has the same problem, but if it keeps losing air as you say, I would'nt be riding on it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #14
koenig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Wicked Avatar love

gsd4me; wonder if your avatar and my avatar would like each other. Bit off topic but funny anyway.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,228
This thread is going to the dogs.