User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Houndguy OP
super noob!!!

Oddometer: 50
The scooter and the biker's wave

An email got me thinking. So I did what all Uber - geeks do. I blogged about it.

http://2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/2...-scooters.html

Comment, send love or hate mail whatever.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
JDHolveck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Read the blog. Loved it and put my comment on there.
JDHolveck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,134
I enjoyed the blog post and made a couple comments, as well. As I have written here, I just wave at the pretty girls.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,857
Interesting blog but......................

If Americans are so into power and speed, how do you explain the fascination with Harleys???

Speaking of Harleys, I usually wave at them and they almost always wave back. Today two Harley riders waved at me first

Yes, some motorcyclists still have a bias against scooters but many don't.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdholveck View Post
read the blog. Loved it and put my comment on there.
+1!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Chindog
Old Guy

Oddometer: 28
Nice blog! Thanks for posting the link.

On my daily commute, I pass a variety of 2 wheelers. I generally get a wave from the touring and cruising bikes, and many times they wave first. Sometimes my wave is snubbed, and sometimes my wave is late so they probably think I snubbed them. But most of the time on the road, it's friendly waves between fellow cyclists.
Chindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Slickvic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post

Speaking of Harleys, I usually wave at them and they almost always wave back. Today two Harley riders waved at me first

Not in Milwaukee Wisconsin they don't. There is clearly animosity towards scooter riders in these parts. In fact if I am just minding my own business and come up next to one on a 2 lane boulevard, 9 times out of 10 they will go out of their way to get away from me! I have seen it time and time again. It is just a plain weird situation here in "Harley-ville"
Old 06-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,134
My favorites are the ones who start to wave, see it's a scooter, then pull their wave back!! I can see how the PCX could be mistaken for a motorcycle as you approach it.

My wife and I pulled up next to a Harley trike at a stoplight on the scoots, the guy looked us up and down, then gave us a thumbs up... "Those look like a lot of fun," he said.

"Yep!"

The reaction is definitely different when we are riding both scoots than when I'm by myself: people are friendlier, or find us more approachable.

Wave or don't wave, I'm still having fun.

At one time, my wife and I both rode Goldwings. I remember how hard we laughed when we pulled up behind a car at a stop sign one time... and the woman driving looked in the rearview mirror... then locked her doors.

Perception.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,467
Around here Harley riders almost always wave. Its the sport bike riders who don't wave much of the time.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I have found that most of the time, if I am on a scooter, Japanese cruiser, Goldwing, or dual sport bike, Harley riders wave back. They will not wave to anyone on a crotch rocket, neither will I, and neither do most experienced riders around here.

Harley riders tend to ride in groups, have loud pipes, and dress in weird looking clothes, though it is what they have been wearing forever. They get called outlaws and pirates. But they rarely cause any problems.

Crotch rocket riders also tend to ride in groups, have loud pipes, and dress in weird looking clothes. But they are thought of as good honest, law abiding citizens, just out to have a little fun. NOT! They have become the new outlaws, the new thugs on bikes. While Harley riders mostly ride legally and safely, most crotch rocket riders are out to break every rule in the book. From riding at ridiculous speeds over 100 mph, swerving from lane to lane, cutting through traffic where there is barely enough room at highly illegal speeds, riding on shoulders and sidewalks, doing wheelies and stoppies, all of this on public roads, causing lots of accidents. Usually however it is them that gets seriously injured or killed. By behaving like that on the road, crotch rocket riders have distanced themselves from other riders. Other riders won't associate with them, and don't want anything to do with the bad image they give ALL riders.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I have ridden sport bikes in the past. But things were a bit different then. You didn't see all the crazy riding like you do today, at least not on the street. At least the cops seem to know the difference between crotch rockets and other types of bikes.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 151
I wave whenever possible. The vast majority of riders will wave back! I find that of those that don't it is usually the Harley riders that envision them selves as bada*s. You know them, old jeans, vest and dew-rag and of course no helmet. Normal Harley riders, with leathers, helmets and touring gear usually return the wave or even offer one first.

Of course on my Silver Wing it is not too noticeable that it is a scooter when approaching one.

When riding one of my trail 90's; even hard-core Harley riders will stop and talk to me! "My uncle used to have one of those" or "I learned to ride on one of those" that sort of thing.
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post
An email got me thinking. So I did what all Uber - geeks do. I blogged about it.

http://2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/2...-scooters.html

Comment, send love or hate mail whatever.
pretty simple why scooters get hate: a) automatic (save older vespas and lambrettas, and the genuine stella) takes no "skill"; b) upright and geeky riding posture -- no aggressive racer tankhump pose or chillin' out feet-forward cruiser slouch; and c) slower speeds on average mean "less risk".

all of these reasons are bs upon any examination, but it's enough. cultures and subcultures operate on stereotypes.

me, i ride my bv 350 like a hellion and i wave at everyone on motorized two-wheelers.
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
Yeah, they are...BS.

First, the variator/"automatic." What, pray tell, is so blingin' HARD about SHIFTING? I've got a CDL. I've driven a nine-speed tractor/trailer. And I do NOT want to be messing with gear selection when I'm out to enjoy a ride!

Somehow the same bikers that look at an automatic askance, never hold the same disrespect for a trike. Now a three-wheel setup tells me that the owner has a problem; that he can't keep his machine upright.

Now, many trike owners, especially Harley trike-owners, are older guys. They're due respect; so I can cut them some slack. But IMHO, they miss a lot by not being able to lean through sweeping turns...or any turns. A trike handles like a snowmobile; and I cannot imagine how someone stays on one in a hairpin turn.

No skill? The same skill-set. Lean into turns; steer with body English; aggressive enough to amuse but not enough to get killed.

Geeky riding posture? Maybe. I'm on a Burgman 650; and it's upright but not unlike the highway cruiser posture. Of course, I didn't go in for the ape-hanger bars; but then I didn't put straight pipes on it, either. So I guess I'm a wuss.

Slower speeds? The B-650 can top a hundred. That's enough to get arrested and spend the night in jail. How fast do they want to go? Fast enough to run a legal-speed cage down before they can see it? Fast enough to separate the cranium from the torso if there's an "incident" - even with road-gear (which Harley riders almost never wear)?

No...I think they look down at scooter pilots...because...

...because...

...they're....

...Harley owners. Which is the same thing as the other word I almost used.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
And as for the Wave? Not at all common where I'm at. Other parts of the nation, I got some, not that many. I think it's falling out of fashion; I wasn't getting that many waves when I rode a BMW, either.

To me it's silly. What does an overaged hippie with a bald spot and a ponytail and a fair amount of neurological compromise from too much bad liquor for too many breakfasts, have with some female college freshman on her Vespa? Not much.

If I'm ostracized for my ride (and occasionally was, even with my BMW) what they're telling me is not about me, but about them and they're tiny minds. And tiny parts on the other end.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #15
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
It's all good. Wave and I'll wave back. Ride a scooter and I'll wave first. Don't wave and I won't wave. Doesn't change my day an iota one way or the other.

BUT if someone riding a two-wheel conveyance is stopped by the side of the road, I always stop and make sure they're OK. That's the brotherhood part.
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote