Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
lossa OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
690 timing?

hi all, im after some advice

i have a 08 690, its had cam follower failure, so rockers have been changed and timing chain as well as the big roller bearing, i didnt lock the engine down and ive lost the timing:(

so im in need of help to set it back up, i set tdc using the flywheel, used the timing marks on the cam and rotated it a few times to make sure the valves dont hit the piston, it really struggles to start, the pump primes and ive got spark, so im thinking it must be a timing issue??

can we start at the fly wheel and go from there, i cant see any timing marks except for a hole on the inside of the rotor

help!!!!
lossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Sweet jesus

Sweet Jesus, you are noob. Let's get things in order first, beer and bacon sandwiches all around, PRONTO.
In the future please mention the make of your motorcycle when asking for help.

You MIGHT get a better response under, bikes, Orange Crush ASSUMING that 690 is a KTM, I am just guessing. You might here too.

Lastly, there are three holes in the camshaft sprocket. Position the middle hole straight up at the 12:00 position. It should be DEAD CENTER on the camshaft bracket screw.

Check you Private Messages.

Good luck, and I wouldn't start in until you are sure it is lined up, and not just from me, I don't own a KTM.

Eric
Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,616
Moved to Thumpers......

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #4
lossa OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrat View Post
Sweet Jesus, you are noob. Let's get things in order first, beer and bacon sandwiches all around, PRONTO.
In the future please mention the make of your motorcycle when asking for help.

You MIGHT get a better response under, bikes, Orange Crush ASSUMING that 690 is a KTM, I am just guessing. You might here too.

Lastly, there are three holes in the camshaft sprocket. Position the middle hole straight up at the 12:00 position. It should be DEAD CENTER on the camshaft bracket screw.

Check you Private Messages.

Good luck, and I wouldn't start in until you are sure it is lined up, and not just from me, I don't own a KTM.

Eric
lol not a noob, just stuck, ive done hundereds of singles before, this has me stumped, thanks for the pm:)
ive got the manuals already, i didnt read them first, i should have read it first, even my berg hasnt caught me out lol

it trys to fire, the plug is piss wet through, im assuming the fi doesnt need timing, me thinks its spraying on bdc, manual isnt that helpful if youve lost the flywheel pos

any other ideas?

lossa
lossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by lossa View Post
lol not a noob, just stuck, ive done hundereds of singles before, this has me stumped, thanks for the pm:)
ive got the manuals already, i didnt read them first, i should have read it first, even my berg hasnt caught me out lol

it trys to fire, the plug is piss wet through, im assuming the fi doesnt need timing, me thinks its spraying on bdc, manual isnt that helpful if youve lost the flywheel pos

any other ideas?

lossa
I don't think it is firing on BDC, the ignition pickup is not related to cam position, it reads off the crank IIRC. Don't the bikes fire on both the "approaching TDC" cycles? Have you checked the 2 wires that go to the coil? On my 690, it is easy to get the coil's spade connector between the connector and the silicone cover instead of in the grip of the female connector.

Good luck,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote