Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 907
Sort of a face plant, but I wasn't actually on the bike…..

A week ago from Saturday I was loading my drz into the back of my van for a hop up to the high desert to meet some folks for a ride. I had bought a Promaster van to convert into a mini-camper and had planned to carry the bike on a joe hauler on the back, but that wasn't quite working out yet, so into the back the bike must go.

I parked the van where the incline would be the least, secured the ramp with tie downs and rolled the bike up the ramp. Then got stuck at the very top (that sucker is heavy ) This is the second time I had loaded the bike using a ramp so I started to do what I did last time - very carefully sneak into the van and get around to the front of the bike to pull it in…..and I somehow screwed up and the front wheel turned right so the bike started falling pretty rapidly left.

I tried to save it until I saw/felt my knee go SIDEWAYS with some awful cracking/crunching sounds. Dropped the bike and ended up laying on the van floor unable to straighten my leg. I didn't have a phone on me so I then had to…..yell for help…..sigh

My neighbors were great, they got the bike back into the garage, locked up the house and called 911. Gotta a ride with an air splint and lots of morphine.

The damage: Tibial plateau fracture (actually lots of pieces) and tibia fracture going a little farther down. Surgery was last Friday - metal, screws and bone grafts to build up the tibial plateau so the end of the femur will ride correctly over a new metal plate. And…3 months of no weight bearing.

You'd think I'd at least be having fun riding the bike to get banged up this bad

Lessons learned:

If you're going to use a ramp:

1. If you're not sure you're strong enough to wheel it all the way up by yourself either get help or let the engine help you.
2. Look at number 1 about 100 more times.
3. If you only have hold of the bars, don't try to keep the bike from falling. And I so know better….. And even if you are on the side of the bike there are situations where you should let it fall.

I had a step stool, but it wasn't adequate.

I was standing in the van when the bike fell - I think I just had my right foot planted really well so when the bike came over the one "weak" part of my leg gave way. The bike never hit my leg. 320 pounds of bike + full gas tank is a lot of lateral force.

So, that is my tale of woe which is already moving into an extreme case of boredom. I've served 3 days of my 3 months.
xt250 "Little Donkey" - sold August 2013
Honda Rebel "The Wee Beastie" - sold May 2013
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 361
OUCH! Hope you heal up soon! It's amazing how heavy bikes can get when they are standing still.... Some of my worst "crashes" have occurred while the bike isn't even moving.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
BeMeUp
neverlost

Oddometer: 77
Got Milk?

Just saying.

Heal well and listen to Doc/ therapist for best long term results.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:20 AM   #4
Tinker1980
Banned

Oddometer: 333
Ouch!

I know that feel. One of the most dangerous things I do with a motorcycle or ATV, is load it into the back of a truck.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:35 AM   #5
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
I use the trailer more and more these days, just to avoid the drama of getting things up into or out of the bed of the truck.

Anyhow, something that can help is to get a cheap electric winch and use it in the front of the bed to pull said bike/atv/etc up and in. I have one of the older 12v HF models with a long control cable. I see they also have them now with a key fob remote.

May your knee recover well! Not a nice nice injury, and what a rotten time of year to get hurt like that, just as the riding season is starting.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
I use the trailer more and more these days, just to avoid the drama of getting things up into or out of the bed of the truck.
That's one of the attractive advantages of the Promaster van (aka Fiat Ducato) as a bike hauler. The floor is only about 18 inches off the ground, so much safer to load than a pickup bed and similar lift height to most trailers.
Safer, but still best done as a 2-man job as seen here.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post

Anyhow, something that can help is to get a cheap electric winch and use it in the front of the bed to pull said bike/atv/etc up and in. I have one of the older 12v HF models with a long control cable. I see they also have them now with a key fob remote.

May your knee recover well! Not a nice nice injury, and what a rotten time of year to get hurt like that, just as the riding season is starting.
I think a winch is a great idea. The funny thing is since I'm building out the back of the van I never wanted to put the bike in the back of the van in the first place Once I get all of the med bills paid I'm going to get a small trailer and call it a day.

Thanks for the well wishes
Old 03-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMeUp View Post
Just saying.

Heal well and listen to Doc/ therapist for best long term results.

Thanks for the well wishes and the good advice!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
Little Bike: Ouch! I feel for you! I broke my tib/fib and ankle in 2011. No weight-bearing for 3 months for me also. And I will add, as others have, follow your OS directions (no weight-bearing before its time ) and once you get to the point where you can start PT, do it. I couldn't start PT until I was PWB, but in the meantime, I kept up on exercises I could do without standing on my legs so I could maintain hip and knee flexibility in my injured leg.

If you haven't already, start adding extra calcium and dark greens to your diet. Pineapple is also supposed to be good for bone healing.

I'm not sure if you have a cast or not, but I found this cast cover to be great and much better than trying to cover a cast with plastic bags and tape. And then you can enjoy a real shower and not have to futz with a sponge bath:
http://www.drycorp.com/

Best of luck to you and heal up well!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #10
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
I'm not sure if you have a cast or not, but I found this cast cover to be great and much better than trying to cover a cast with plastic bags and tape. And then you can enjoy a real shower and not have to futz with a sponge bath:
Someone call Wolfman! There is money to be made here selling those with a Wolfman or Touratech logo.

CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #11
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 488
Oh no!
Hope you recover quickly and are back on two wheels soon.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
Little Bike: Ouch! I feel for you! I broke my tib/fib and ankle in 2011. No weight-bearing for 3 months for me also. And I will add, as others have, follow your OS directions (no weight-bearing before its time ) and once you get to the point where you can start PT, do it. I couldn't start PT until I was PWB, but in the meantime, I kept up on exercises I could do without standing on my legs so I could maintain hip and knee flexibility in my injured leg.

If you haven't already, start adding extra calcium and dark greens to your diet. Pineapple is also supposed to be good for bone healing.

Best of luck to you and heal up well!
Thanks for the info - I just doing some exercises from a pt today (rotating the ankle and such). I'm hoping to up the reps soon, too much makes my leg ache - ouch. Luckily I don't have a cast because of the surgery - it's really nice to be able to loosen up the brace when I'm just laying around (oh wait, that's what I'm doing 98% of the time ) I get an elevated leg rest for my wheel chair tomorrow so I can start getting out of bed and keep my leg elevated - yay!

Pineapple - yum….
Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
My wife had the same exact injury, fell off her horse the wrong way.

Three long long months and she is barely back to work part time now. She will have to go back eventually and get a new knee. She still limps pretty bad.

Do your PT, man. Elevate it alot. Don't get depressed, it gets better!
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
Little Bike: You're lucky you didn't get a cast -- so I assume you have a "Darth boot" instead? (My cast wasn't actually all that bad and I had it for only 4 weeks.)

Ah yes, keeping the leg elevated. Here's a site to keep you occupied as you are sitting around with your leg elevated:
http://www.mybrokenleg.com/
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #15
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,365
Damn....and I thought I did a bad thing loading my bike with a ramp. I rode it up the ramp with wet tires, and wiped out in the bed of the truck when I put on the brakes; 3-inch gash in my shin. Now I use a tri-fold so I can walk along with it under power.

I hope you heal quickly.