User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
kag OP
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,388
My KTM 1190 Breaking Me In

Well was putting some miles on my new 1190 downing some gravel road riding and came up to an area that looked like just minor surface mud and left over snow on this very shady part of the dirt road, but the mud was much deep and slick as snot. Got it whoa'd up quite a bit but the ass end completely came out from under me. I knew I was going down and tried to kick away from the bike but it happened too quick.

My right foot was pinned under the bike and a very un-natural ankle. I used my left foot to push the bike just enough to free my foot. I knew instantly my ankle was broken. I rolled up on my side and did a quick check of myself and the foot and ankle was the only thing hurting badly. I got up and hopped a little around on the left foot looking around. Well out in a very rural area. I could call the wife and guide her in but then what to do about my bike. SO...I hopped over to it....still running. Hit the kill switch and then grabbed the bars and tried to lift it up using my good foot. Not working. I then planted my right foot with the broken ankle and used both and lift the bike up. I cussed some as it hurt like hell but the bike was up.

Now I had to get it through the mud area to the dry dirt. So I started the bike and feathered the clutch and hopped on the left foot, creeping it forward 6 inches at a time, sometimes less. I eventually got it up there to the dry dirt and killed it. Then carefully made my way around to the left side to put the side stand down. Too soft to support the bike so I had to hop and walk it up farther. Finally to an area that would support the bikes weight. So I then of course did the natural thing and took a couple of pictures.

I then through my leg over the bike and started it. Rode to a little country gas station as I was almost out of fuel. Hopped around there and put fuel in and rode to the nearest ER about 40 miles away.

Just got my new pair of Forma Adventure boots and to be completely honest if I had been wearing my old boots I would have had an open fracture and even more leg/foot damage.

Distal Tibula Fracture broken in 3 places with ligament tears. Waiting to see the ortho surgeon tomorrow.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
Ouch! You are one tough dude. Not sure if I could have done that. Hope the best for you with the surgeons.

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Sorry about your injury. I am recovering from a similar incident that happened back in October. The damaged was to my right mid foot (Lisfranc injury). I had to ride out too but was lucky to have some friends to help lift the bike to get me rolling. Surgery including plates, screws and external pins. Over two months of total non weight bearing but I am walking with an aircast now. So much damage for such a little drop.
I hope your surgery and recovery goes well and that your wife is as supportive and understanding as mine has been.

Peter
Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
kag OP
Wander Lust

Thank you

Glad it was not my foot except all the torn ligaments in it. But foot injuries take a long time to heal and hope your does heal well.

Not sure its tough or there really was no way I was calling my wife as she raised hell about me getting this bike. Hmmmm....nope not going to admit it. Plus there was no way she would have been able to get the bike out....I think at that point I was just pissed at myself.

Just dumb ass decision making ....30+ years riding, first true injury. But I always said its not "if" but "when".....

I had an Icon Helmet, First Gear Kilaminjaro jacket, Codura armored pants, and armored gloves on also.

Hoping like hell it heals well, we will see. I will admit the Forma boots really did save me from something far worse. The other boots I just sold, Gaerne Balanced Oils are great boots but do not have the protection these do.....IMO. Even the wife said the new boots was a good decision.....I sense opportunity for better gear with less resistance

After I got it up and up the hill out of the mud. Its in good shape.....it had me to break its fall. Need better tires to do this. Right pannier has a piece of the plastic mounting latch broken. The other side is the side the went down and is covered in mud

kag screwed with this post 01-20-2014 at 08:41 PM
Old 01-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
>"Need better tires to do this."

Yup. Geeze... your tires had no tread exposed in the mud.
Pretty heavy bike too.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Sorry about the injury, but good on you for taking care of yourself and getting out under your own power.
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,244
That sucks. Hope you heal up quick.

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,377
I think you need a bigger heavier bike to dirt ride.
Then maybe set it up with slicks and enter it in motocross events.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
kag OP
Wander Lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I think you need a bigger heavier bike to dirt ride.
Then maybe set it up with slicks and enter it in motocross events.
That's next week Captain

Old 01-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Yeah, you already had two strikes against you riding through that muck with those tires. I imagine it was quite squirrelly going through there.

Nice boots. I have the Balanced Oileds and like them a lot, but I agree they lack some protective ability compared to some other offerings. I like the Forma boots, though.

I find it amazing that NJ-Brett can achieve an average of over four posts a day since he joined advrider.com over three years ago. Unfortunately I can only assume from his insulting post above that most are similarly insulting and low value posts. He should change his handle to NJ-Brett-with-a-small-penis.
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
kag OP
Wander Lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
Yeah, you already had two strikes against you riding through that muck with those tires. I imagine it was quite squirrelly going through there.

Nice boots. I have the Balanced Oileds and like them a lot, but I agree they lack some protective ability compared to some other offerings. I like the Forma boots, though.

I find it amazing that NJ-Brett can achieve an average of over four posts a day since he joined advrider.com over three years ago. Unfortunately I can only assume from his insulting post above that most are similarly insulting and low value posts. He should change his handle to NJ-Brett-with-a-small-penis.

Roger that

I know I fucked up. The road and trails were actually really firm ....of course except the area that bit my ass as it was slick as snot. The main reason I wanted to post this all up was to re-enforce what i already knew and should of listened too.....a momentary lap in solid judgement can be costly. Plus good gear prevents event worse injuries when we ( I ) fail to use due diligence.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,762
I had a similar crash 5 years ago on my 990, I was wearing Forma boots which folded up pretty easily unfortunately for me. I now ride with Alpinestars Tech 10's which are mega strong.

Hope your ankle heals up quickly and your back on that awesome bike real soon
Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #13
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 234
I'm glad you made it out, that shows some balls.

A knob or two would have obviously helped out a bunch, but for some reason not all tires have them.

It looks like you were able to spot that from a decent distance, so I have to ask a few questions...

Were you over-riding your sight line or did you just misjudge the surface?

Would it have been better to lighten the front end and take that under acceleration?

Would you like fries with that shake?

Edit: Did you ride home from the ER? I would have shut up, for sure if you had.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #14
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,337
post the xrays!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #15
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingJ View Post
Did you ride home from the ER?
Would look pretty cool riding down the street with a fresh cast on the right leg and mud all over the bike. And when he gets home:

Wife: How was your ride, Hon?

Kag: Great! It was a beautiful day to go for a ride.

Wife: OMG! What's that on your right leg?

Kag: Oh, nothing. I just needed a little more support on my right leg because the brake pedal is still a little stiff from being a new bike.

Wife: Oh, OK.
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote