Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
downlowiss OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Cry Rear Ended a Texter Today... Her fault but I'm sure I would be held liable in court

First off... I'm okay and the bike from what I can tell is OKAY. Thank god!

On my way to work this morning a woman(on her phone) pulled out of her parking spot in front of me abrubtly and I didn't have enough time to stop. I slowed it way down and ended up rear ending her. I was fortunate enough to hold onto the bike and not go over the handlebars but it was close. Back tire came off the ground and I got an interesting perspective looking back at my bike upsidedown but held on tight and pulled myself back down into the seat. I couldnt get my feet down quick enought and dropped the bike at a standstill(not the first time.) I was not injured and the bike appears to have survived minus some minor scrapes on the clutch cover and left handguard and a broken clutch lever. I picked it up and rolled off to the side of the road and threw it up on the center stand. Could find nothing broken or twisted or bent. Spun the front wheel and it didn't appear to be bent or out of round... brakes and tires faired well too. My question is, Should I be looking for something deeply internal or hidden bushings/bearings to have taken the impact and be out of round. I started it up and finished my commute with no issues(even took it up to speed on interstate after some slow turns and stop and go's). I thought, and I say thought because I was a little shaky still from the collision the steering felt loose but like I said with the front wheel off the ground I could feel no side to side or verticle play? I know the front forks went full compression upon impact... Should I redo the front forks? I plan to look at the manual when I get home to check some clearances and stuff by the numbers but thought maybe someone could shed some light on some areas I might be overlooking here...

Thanks!
downlowiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 678
Prepare to be harassed by inmates about this being your fault.....

IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Freebee

You walked away. +1. Parking lots suck.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:18 AM   #4
MSL77384
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Steering head bearings and bent fork bits and pieces would be my primary concerns. Glad you were able to make the report.
MSL77384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:39 AM   #5
jjxtrider
questionable

Oddometer: 102
I think people backing out of spots are supposed to yield to "traffic". Doesn't really matter not much harm but a little scare.

XT600 x 5, KLR650, XL600 , KTM525, LTR450,
jjxtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:47 AM   #6
R0CKETMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
The post crash "test" ride should have unveiled any issues with wheel. I doubt the fork seals are impacted.

You and the bike survived seemingly unscathed.

Ducati Multistrada 1200s Pikes Peak
KTM 200xc
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Not your fault. The reversing vehicle is responsible to ensure they are backing out safely.
jj
Old 07-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #8
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,129
Did she pull out or back out? Parking lots do suck. Here, they're private property, the cops don't get involved with accidents in them other than a report. You'd need insurance or a civil suit to get her to pay.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
It would help to know what you were riding, but generally it'd be wise to measure the forks to verify that they are straight (typically the chromed bit will bend before the aluminum bit). You can lay a straight edge against the leg with the forks at full extension to get a good idea of it. Might as well do the same on the aluminum bit of the fork as well if it's got a straight part to reference on the outside. A sign of bent forks would be more stiction than usual. Bounce the forks up and down, if they are more sticky than usual something's amiss.

Wheel beings are almost certainly just fine.

You might also check the steering neck area, typically the tubes that connect to the headtube will be the first to suffer in a collision like that, usually right at the head tube or within a few inches of it. Remove what you have to to get a look at that area. Look for flecking paint, bends, and cracks.

I'd guess that all is fine and you have no damage other than the visible stuff you mentioned, but best to make certain of it.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #10
downlowiss OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
It would help to know what you were riding, but generally it'd be wise to measure the forks to verify that they are straight (typically the chromed bit will bend before the aluminum bit). You can lay a straight edge against the leg with the forks at full extension to get a good idea of it. Might as well do the same on the aluminum bit of the fork as well if it's got a straight part to reference on the outside. A sign of bent forks would be more stiction than usual. Bounce the forks up and down, if they are more sticky than usual something's amiss.

Wheel beings are almost certainly just fine.

You might also check the steering neck area, typically the tubes that connect to the headtube will be the first to suffer in a collision like that, usually right at the head tube or within a few inches of it. Remove what you have to to get a look at that area. Look for flecking paint, bends, and cracks.

I'd guess that all is fine and you have no damage other than the visible stuff you mentioned, but best to make certain of it.
Thanks for the great response... sorry for my lack of detail... so I'm riding a 2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC. I will have time thursday to take apart the front end for a looksie... So to answer someones question it was a city street and she was paralell parked... I saw her wheels turn out to the street and slowed down a bit and figured she had seen me so continued on... all in an instant I see through her mirrors and window as im getting closer shes looking straight down at the phone in her hand and at the same time ad I startgrabbing brake she shoots onto the street..m she must have looked up and seen me and panicked and just stopped right in front of me... if she would have kept driving its a good chance we wouldnt have collided... oh well... yeah I put the bike on the centerstand... compressed the forks and they feel fine and smooth and the wheel spins perfectly... my concern and like I said I may just be tripping myself out it feels like the handlebars turn from left to right with more ease than usual... would that be a head bearing? Im gonna dig in my manual and find some measurements and look for obvious signs... thanks again all and just glad I walked away... definatwly an interesting perspectuve looking at the bike upsidedown out in front like that... thought I was going thru her back window for sure.
downlowiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,197
Rear Ended a Texter Today... Her fault but I'm sure I would be held liable i...

Yeah. Just because the forks move OK doesn't mean that they did not get tweaked. I hit a Bambi on my FJR a couple of years ago and both fork tubes got tweaked back a little. Did not realize it until after doing some fork maintenance and did not put them back in the same relative orientation. Found that the steering pulled one way until I figured this out and got them indexed the same way

By the way. That deer was definitely at fault but it was underinsured.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,571
Why would you be liable? Were you travelling fast or something? Pulling out into traffic without yeilding sounds like it's her fault, especially if she is distracted by messing with her phone (Harder to prove).

You did good identifying she was pulling out, a little more defensive driving might have saved you, but then again, not paying any attention might have been a whole lot worse. Congrats on walking away with minimum damage, and more experience.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,571
Uhh.....did you file a police report or just ride away? Did you share insurance or anything?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #14
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Why would you be liable?.
Because the system is flawed.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #15
Sause
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
Prepare to be harassed by inmates about this being your fault.....

+1 This is the only part of this forum that pisses me off.
Sause is offline   Reply With Quote