Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Latin America
User Name
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 AM   #16
Beastly Adventurer
Kiko's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Jalisco, Mexico 45825
Oddometer: 1,927
FMM= tourist visa for max of 180 days. You apply for a TVIP to temporary import your US or Canadian plated vehicle into Mexico.

FM3= temporary resident visa for 1 year and renewable > FM3's have been discontinued. Before, you apply for a TVIP as above and renew your TVIP at the border every 6 months.

FM2= temporary resident visa for 1 year and renewable with different features than FM3 > FM2's have been discontinued. You drive a Mexican plated vehicle with a FM-2.

FM2 and FM3 are no more. FM2 and FM3 visas are now referred to as Temporal Residente visas. Those who had these visas before are grandfathered under the old law. New visa applicants fall under new income requirement rules. If you have had a FM3 with prorogga 3 or 4 on the back of the card, then you are suppose to apply for permanent resident status. If your FM2 or FM3 has expired, you have to leave Mexico within 30 days and apply for a new visa in a Mexican consulate in the US or Canada for example. Temporal Residente visa holders can drive foreign plated vehicles in Mexico on a TVIP but must take the vehicle to the border every 6 months to renew the TVIP or obtain a letter from Aduana stating that the vehicle permit is good as long as the Temporal Visa is in effect, then you are supposed to take the vehicle to the border annually to renew the TVIP to coincide with your Temporal Visa renewal dates.

The other option is Permanente Residente. Permanent visa holders do not renew annually,. You can not import on a TVIP your Canadian or US plated car. You are required to either nationalize your US or Canadian vehicle or drive a Mexican plated vehicle. You've got 30 days to make the change.

Your car can and most likely will be impounded if you have no TVIP and you are carrying either a FMM or temporal residente status visa.

All Immigration laws changed as of November 12, 2012. Each state in Mexico has some leeway in the application of the new laws but basically it is as above. You mention you are coming to Chapala, and this is the way it is in Chapala.

You can own property with any of the above visas, but to sell property and avoid huge tax penalties, then you must have the equivalent of the temporal or permanente visas. Something to think about now rather than later.
Conmigo piscas, y no moloncos.

Kiko screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 04:14 AM
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
KLR650Teach OP
Joined: May 2007
Location: Penticton BC
Oddometer: 48

Kiko, as the first time down for the whole winter starting this November can I purchase one of the new Honda C-110's under a trourist vise, plate it with Mex plates, and leave it at the house we own in Chapala when we come back to Canada in the spring?

I was going to wait to apply for our residents visa until next year when we know more about how we feel about living for longer periods of time in Mexico. Would there be any benefit to getting the residents visa this year? Apparently the new permanent resident visa's don't have to be renewed annually and the temporary resident's visas do.

I think the C-110 would be perfect for the Chapala area and the odd trip to and from Guad via the back way.
KLR650Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #18
Beastly Adventurer
Kiko's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Jalisco, Mexico 45825
Oddometer: 1,927
Contact Spencer McMullen, an attorney in Chapala. I had a visit with him today about my Mexican Moto drivers license and he mentioned he is planning to sell his Honda XR125, Jalisco plates and in like new condition. He is from California and speaks perfect English if that is an issue, here is his contact info:

I think this is the bike he has:

Personally, I like the Tornado 250 better, but it costs more than twice as the XR125. You will need Mexican liability insurance 300k liability, and that may cost you 2000p a year, not sure for this bike. Don't buy a Chinese scooter. If you want new, Chavane Suzuki in Guadalajara has a good selection of 125s and they are affordable and bulletproof.

Permanente visa is a no brainer, one time and you are done. Temporal visas may cost you about 4000p each and are renewed annually.

Buena suerte.
Conmigo piscas, y no moloncos.

Kiko screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 04:33 PM
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015