User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
1985 Yamaha 490

Found one of these on the local Craigslist. Been sitting along time. Would need a good going through. They're asking $600.

Given it will probably need a rebuild, is this s good deal for a starter bike for the kid. Would be a father/son project thing. What about parts availability?
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Rot Box
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Is it an IT or YZ? Either way I don't think $600 is too far off so long as its mostly complete and running. I would pull the top-end and inspect the piston. The 490 was known to ping (pre-detonate) and too much of that will cause premature wear--check for cracks on the skirt and such. There are a few things you can do about the pinging Eric Gorr's head mod is popular and I recommend a tuned in Keihin PWK carb. Replacement wear items are out there however plastics might be tough to find.

I think it would be a fun project as long as you're willing to spend the time and money on an old bike. Be sure to take us along for the ride if you do pick it up
Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Two-stroke 490 father/son project? Did you not save enough for college?
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
A big bore 2-stroke is not a starter bike for anybody. That thing will lift the front wheel in at least the first 4 gears.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,772
If it's got the original carb I can't imagine it would be easy to tune. It's not an easy bike to kick over. That was kind of a sticking point with my XRR, whenever you tried to diagnose something, it was a 2-3 step process just to check....if it started at all. It got old, quick. But maybe that's just me being a pussy.

If you are young, have a good right leg or don't give a shit about such things, there are worse projects to do, great bike!
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 789
I used to race a, 82 yz490 and it was actually a great bike except for the lack of any kind of decent brakes
do you hate your son or something?
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi View Post
Given it will probably need a rebuild, is this s good deal for a starter bike for the kid.

Seriously, this bike is no more a starter bike for anyone ( kid or not ) than a .44 magnum
is a beginner pistol for a person who is interested in becoming a marksman.

If you goal is to have fun riding with your son, pick a different bike. Those old 2-stroke
race bikes had absurd levels of power and lousy brakes and they could hurt you very
quickly ( I used to race Huskies in the open class, I speak from experience ).

I don't mean to rain on your parade but I don't want to read a tragic story a few
months from now about what happened with the bike, either.

FInd a Honda XR200 and enjoy riding a simple safe bike which has close to
perfect power for a beginner. You can always go bigger later once the rider has
developed some skills.

It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
A big bore 2-stroke is not a starter bike for anybody. That thing will lift the front wheel in at least the first 4 gears.
You mean all four gears?

To cheaply fix the ping just run 2 OEM copper head gaskets stacked which will also help with the kick starting and tame her down for better hook up hard pack or anywhere but perfect dirt.

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
Rutsref
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Thumb Yam 490

Hey Dad, Kudos for you! Great project assuming it's complete and especially if it's in running condition. Also assuming.. 1. You are familiar and willing to pull apart the carb and "boil it out" as it'll likely have been sitting for years with crap fuel in it. 2. You can afford to do the top end and possible crank. (again alot depends on how long (if at all) it's been sitting, and where, outside in the elements or in a cozy garage dry etc) 3. As far as power goes, not knowing your son's age size and experience makes it impossible to judge whether he's able to ride it. That being said, I've owned these in the past and they have very mellow powerbands, easy to kickstart, and will chug up any hill as good as a fourstroke if jetted properly. Also, since they are aircooled they are SUPER easy to work on. You can rebuild one with a rock and a screwdriver in the back of a pick up truck in 20 minutes. And they are quite bullet proof unless you race them and thrash them mercilessly.
GOOD LUCK and go for it!
jw
Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,370
another bike that falls into the old school category of leg breakin' man killer. ok as a rebuild project, but as for a ride... you first
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,761
The jetting needs on a YZ490 can change quickly with temp/altitude differences.
Yamaha gave Broc Glover one,its still brand new as he could never bring himself to ride the pinging monster.
,they arent the best example of an early big bore 2 stroke.
mid 80's is old enough for parts to be an issue,ebay has some but not too cheap.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,007
I have a 1986 YZ490 that was ported by Pro Circuit and I finally figured out how to do away with the pinging. Yamaha lists different slides for the carb. I installed the next one up with more cut away. BAM! No more pinging. Out on the fire roads going over rises at 75mph lofting the front end is BIG fun.

I call this bike The Widow Maker. I let a fella borrow the bike and the next time I saw him he had a broken collar bone and a fractured elbow. The bike needed a new set of bars.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Good advice all. Some pretty funny stuff too. Here's the bike, it looks like a four stroke with a left side exhaust but I'm not an expert. Looking for a cheap starter.

http://redding.craigslist.org/mcy/3560390732.html

Sent using the Craigslist app. Get it Free in the App Store

Sent from my iPhone
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
creaky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Agree wholeheartedly with the detractors. I had an '86 YZ 490 some years ago, head mod, heavy flywheel, Pro Circuit exhaust system aimed at low end of the power band. This bike kicked my ass frequently when I wasn't looking, finally got rid of it after two years of self-abuse. As said, ridiculous power that was difficult to control, no brakes. NOT a beginner's bike.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the world infamous "Yamahop" from the rear suspension which would send you over the bars with absolutely no warning whatsoever.
'96 XR400
"Once you go over the hill, you start picking up speed!"

creaky screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 03:19 PM
creaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah this is all good stuff. He is motivated enough to sell his Xbox and BMX bike.

Bob Tosi screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 04:28 PM