ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Tsilatipac OP
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 416
O'ahu 6/24-7/1

Hi everyone. My 15-year old and I are booked for a trip to O'ahu 6/24-7/1. Looking to Scuba, hike and see the sites. Anyone have recommendations?

Good scuba charters?
Best Hikes?
Best burgers
Best way to see Pearl Harbor?
Etc

Thanks for any advice

Cheers, Carl
Tsilatipac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsilatipac View Post
Hi everyone. My 15-year old and I are booked for a trip to O'ahu 6/24-7/1. Looking to Scuba, hike and see the sites. Anyone have recommendations?

Good scuba charters?
Best Hikes?
Best burgers
Best way to see Pearl Harbor?
Etc

Thanks for any advice

Cheers, Carl
I don't do any of the boats - too much of a production mentality. Rent some gear in Haleiwa then go just past Waimea bay to Three Tables/ Shark's cove, across the street from the Foodland market. Not too deep so you'll get plenty of bottom time and lots of critters to see there. Or check out Hawaii Shark Encounters for something different.

An easy hike to get to from Waikiki is the Manoa falls trail. Unfortunately, its really overrun with tourists these days, but just before the falls, another trail goes off to the left that very few go on called Aihualama. This will take you to a nice lookout over Nuuanu valley, or you can continue and make a loop out of it, coming out at Tantalus. Look here: http://hawaiitrails.ehawaii.gov/island.php?island=Oahu
Something more strenuous would be the trail to Mt. Kaala, highest mountain on the island. You can find info on various blogs, this is an all day thing. Also be aware that you have a very good chance of having your car broken into any any trailhead. Manoa falls can easily be reached by bus, otherwise never leave anything in there.

Burgers? Probably Teddy's, but I'd forget the burgers and try out some plate lunches, or all kinds of other food you won't come across in So Cal.

Best way to see Pearl Harbor is to look out the window when you plane is on approach to HNL! There are NPS boats that will take you out to the Arizona Memorial and the Missouri, but do that early in the day as those tours are very crowded later.

In for something really "off-road"? Check out a tandem flight from one of my flying buddies: http://www.windlines.net/2002/01/tandem-flights.html for something truly spectacular, if the weather cooperates!
Aloha
Old 05-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
Tsilatipac OP
Adventure Seeker

O'ahu 6/24-7/1

Thank you for the info. I'll look into it. I used to paraglide. That is a great idea. Thanks for the beach dive info. I will definitely plan on that. I don't like production type organized events. I'd rather beach dive or kayak dive, my own schedule...

Cheers, Carl
Old 05-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
goldentaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Kua Aina in Haleiwa has great burgers. Teddy's was good too.

Kimukatsu on Lewers and Lauula st. has great Tonkatsu ( breaded pork cutlet similar to Jagersnitzel) Here they shave it paper thin bread it and fry in low temp oil. It melts in your mouth. The Fried Chicken app was very good as well.

Marukame Udon at 2310 Kuhio in Waikiki is great. There can be a long line until 8:30-9ish if you don't mind a late dinner you can wait till then.

If HUGE portions are your style try the Side Street Inn off of Kapahulu. Food is good and portions are very big.

Waahila Ridge State Recreation Area is a fun hike up to Mt. Olympus.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mount-olympu...owalu-honolulu

https://goo.gl/maps/Pm2HI

J
Old 05-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
Tsilatipac OP
Adventure Seeker

Thanks GT.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
plate lunch

Had my first plate lunch at this place Keneke's Waimanalo, HI.

I'm sure it wasn't too good for ya but it sure was tasty

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
Tsilatipac OP
Adventure Seeker

Trip is getting close! I'll be staying at Ala Wai Gardens.

Don't have an organized itinerary but, planning to see the following:
  1. USS Missouri
  2. Arizona Memorial
  3. Pacific Aviation Museum at Pearl Harbor
  4. scuba at shark cove
  5. scuba at three tables
  6. boat dive (would love a referral)
  7. Manana Trail hike to falls
  8. Any fairly flat running trails near waikiki area? i like to run early before kids get up. 5-10 mile runs..?

Still need more ideas and things to do. Any open water swim courses with distance buoys? Any inmates on here have their own dive boat...I've got gas money...
Old 06-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
goldentaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Check out Diamond Head. From Waikiki it's 3miles to the crater parking lot. The trail up is prob a mile and half up and back. View is nice esp. in the morning.

J
Old 06-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,408
I can recommend visiting the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, a.k.a., the Punchbowl. Do it after visiting the Pearl Harbor Arizona memorial.

Spend some time on the North Shore. If you want to understand the Hawaiian culture a bit more, it is worth spending a day at the Polynesian Cultural Center in Laie.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:40 AM   #10
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
boat dive

Aaron's Dive shop. Kailua. Small shop, good people, ez to dive with. Reasonable prices. They'll pick you up in Waikiki. The windward side is great. Across the street from Aaron's is Maui fish tacos. Grab a couple - don't order two,just get the combo with beans, etc. Cheaper than ala carte.
You won't be sorry.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #11
Tsilatipac OP
Adventure Seeker

Trip was great. Thanks for all of the tips. Did a boat dive near Waikiki. Did shore dives at sharks cove; came out to a man getting CPR...sad. Hiked around and up diamond head twice. Did several other good hikes. Did the wiamea bay 1.2 mile swim, cholo race. Visited Pearl Harbor. Great week with my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk