User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #31
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
i look at it like this.

Oddly with less "relestate" and only two wheels, motorcycles do more with styling than auto makers. there will almost always only be room for one or two, so styling, handling and power are king.

when i was a kid, i started drifting towards Kawasaki's. had a '87 mojave 250 and loved it even though it was a heavy pig for a "sport" atv. still, i later ended up with an old honda 450, then a '92 250 nighthawk. later, i got a '91 Suzuki GZX1100G (naked) that was a phenomenal ride... except that it was just too dang heavy. when i was about 25, i fell in love with the 96-03 ZX7 and ZX9. ironic as it is, i later obained one through some horse trading. i have it and really enjoy it....

but.
although i enjoy owning a machine that has more skill than i do, i've always been an offroad kind of guy... so i have a very strong desire for a KLR 650. I wanted one when i was a teenager.. and i want one now. a guy up the road has one and i just cant afford another bike.

i find myself drooling all over new machines and lusting after them. knowing i have no ability to buy them.... and i cant even spare the dang time to RIDE them.... motorcycles are attainable treasures. they somehow manage to cram more character into a machine weighing less than 500 pounds than any auto manufacturer can with no weight limit and 4 wheels.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #32
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
For me, its been a combination of reasons. Probably the biggest reason is the fun I enjoy searching for that next bike or car. I love to read the reviews and search for something that might be just a tad better than my current bike. That combined with getting a bit bored with a bike has led me to most of my purchases.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #33
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
Is it boredom? Just want something new? Your bike's mission has changed?
I just came back from the Chicago Bike show. I have a Diavel which I love. i found myself lusting after the BMW RT and the K1600GT. I'd love to have both the Diavel and one of those machines, but finances, garage space and marital harmony preclude this. Perhaps I'm looking for something different in the what I want from a bike. I love the Diavel for day trips, but I'm getting much more intrigued with touring.

David
Boredom and or reality. The grass it always greener, which helps me realize/pick at the perceived shortcomings of my existing ride. I'm in the opposite boat from you. I have a new RT and I love the idea of a Diavel stablemate. Perhaps after I spend more time on the RT I'll want something else for intracity stuff (I bet that new Duke 390 will be light... or that Diavel).
Old 02-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #34
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
For me it's about changing needs. My 1st bike was about riding with my buddies, so I got a small cruiser, which worked well. Now, I learned I like to travel on 2 wheels, so I need storage, comfort, and wind protection, so I'm looking at adv bikes.

Some day... I'll probably start to wonder about going off road... god forbid...
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #35
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,614
I have only owned 4 bikes in 8 years so I don't change them very often.

The first bike was damage in a crash and insurance took it away. Then my 3rd bike I had to sell due to a bad economical situation, and bikes 2 and 4 I still have. Bike is a 2005 KLR that I had since new and the scooter is a 2011 I bought in December of that year.

I am hoping to add 1 more bike and NOT sell anything...

Damasovi
Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #36
camodog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I traded my VTX cruiser for my new V-strom because i didnt want to be limited to only highway use. There are too many beautiful places in Colorado that do not have paved roads. hell even our paved roads are not very nice. I would say comfort level is the same, and if it speed is what i desire, my gsxr will fill that void.
I strongly believe in multiple bikes, as i dont think there is one bike that can do it all.
camodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #37
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post
For me, its been a combination of reasons. Probably the biggest reason is the fun I enjoy searching for that next bike or car. I love to read the reviews and search for something that might be just a tad better than my current bike. That combined with getting a bit bored with a bike has led me to most of my purchases.
Obviously fixinbones and I were separated at birth...
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #38
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,371
I sell bikes mostly because they are worn out or they were not bikes I loved to begin with.
Some bikes are fun to try out, and if you get a used bike at a good price, you can sell it for no loss of money.

I never bought or sold a bike (or anything else) to upgrade a status symbol or to impress anyone, but always in search of the perfect bike.

What is my perfect bike?
Something vintage looking, about 350cc, light, trouble free, good on the street, good 2 up, good in the dirt on mild trails, all day comfort, air cooled.
They made some close bikes a long time ago, with flaws of the time, almost nothing new comes close.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #39
ysrebob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Many people in the western world are fixated on what they own rather than what they
experience. I say this not as a criticism but only as an observation.

Interestingly, much research has shown that owning stuff doesn't lead to happiness
or feelings of contentment. Experiences we find fulfilling, and meaningful connections to
other humans are the two most consistent sources of true happiness.

We're constantly bombarded with messages about new stuff we need to buy or how we
need to look, etc. It is all a scam designed to make a few people wealthy.

You don't need a BMW to go touring. All you need is time and enough cash to
keep your show on the road.

For a bit of proof that a tour can be done on a bike which might not
seem ideally suited to it, search ADVrider for the ride report written by
AntiHero. He rode around the US on a Ducati Panigale. Your Diavel
is the height of luxury in comparison.

Get on that Diavel and ride.

This is so true! Ditto for iPhone contracts, huge houses, and alot of the other things people succumb to (which thereupon chain them and their spouses to grinding overtime work weeks year after year after year to pay for). Material dissatisfaction seems to be a basic flaw in human nature.

I'm 40 now; must admit to having changed bikes every one-two years on average for my whole adult life despite claiming a "nonmaterialist" point of view. Usually the reason came down to lack of actual riding time: in periods when I was working too hard or had too many family obligations to really get out and RIDE much, I scratched the motorcycle itch by cruising this forum or reading craigslist ads alot... which inevitably led to bike lust and purchases.

Many of us (USA anyway) have gotton so busy/time-stressed that we compensate for a lack of recreation time by buying things for satisfaction, which then ramps up the pressure to work even more hours. It's hard to opt out of this way of doing things, too: I would gladly work fewer hours for less pay, but as with many folks neither my current career not earlier positions would even PERMIT this (would be perceived as a serious lack of commitment). A bad cycle.
ysrebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #40
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,582
I change bikes for two reasons.

First, I feel confident in buying a bigger/faster bike, and believe I hit my limits with the previous bikes.

Second, what I wanted my bike to do had changed e.g. less zipping around town and more long-distance touring.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #41
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
Ppl change bikes for the same reason my grandma changes cars every 6 months: they don't make a large comfortable one with lots of room, storage space, and power that's also very small, quick, and light and handles great and gets great gas mileage. everything is a tradeoff. most any bike you get is gonna be a compromise of some sort, so it's not gonna be perfect.

my current XR is a compromise. I want to keep it because: (1) it's awesome, (2) the engine is awesome, (3) it sounds awesome, (4) it is awesome to ride. I want something different because (1) it's not comfortable at all after 100 miles or less, (2) I want something heavier with some wind protection to tour on, (3) I want something lighter that's easier to ride, (4) I want more of a laid back cruiser riding position on a bike I can actually flat foot, and (5) I hate the cruiser riding position, I want my feet underneath me and I haven't been able to flatfoot a bike I've owned in 3 yrs, it's not an issue.

as you can see, it's an impossible conundrum. I just ride what I've got.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #42
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysrebob View Post
This is so true! Ditto for iPhone contracts, huge houses, and alot of the other things people succumb to (which thereupon chain them and their spouses to grinding overtime work weeks year after year after year to pay for). Material dissatisfaction seems to be a basic flaw in human nature.

I'm 40 now; must admit to having changed bikes every one-two years on average for my whole adult life despite claiming a "nonmaterialist" point of view. Usually the reason came down to lack of actual riding time: in periods when I was working too hard or had too many family obligations to really get out and RIDE much, I scratched the motorcycle itch by cruising this forum or reading craigslist ads alot... which inevitably led to bike lust and purchases.

Many of us (USA anyway) have gotton so busy/time-stressed that we compensate for a lack of recreation time by buying things for satisfaction, which then ramps up the pressure to work even more hours. It's hard to opt out of this way of doing things, too: I would gladly work fewer hours for less pay, but as with many folks neither my current career not earlier positions would even PERMIT this (would be perceived as a serious lack of commitment). A bad cycle.
there is a LOT of wisdom in this post. do we work at the same place?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #43
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,787
Here's to ysrebob!
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #44
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
I sell my slow bike to buy a fast bike because it is holding me back....

Then later I sell the fast bike because I am going too fast and go back to a slow bike...

And the cycle continues.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #45
Josh1466
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Changing bikes is all part of my secret plan to work my way into something expensive. I buy my bikes used, ride them a season or two, then sell them for what I paid. When I buy the next bike, I just tell the wife "this new bike is only X dollars more than what I made on the last one, and it's WAY better." This is also usually accompanied by some statement like "I'll keep this one a while, really..." The way I figure it, if I keep working my way up the ladder, she'll either get tired of it and tell me to buy whatever I want, or in 4 or 5 years, I'll be riding a MOTUS or a Multistrada anyway
Josh1466 is offline   Reply With Quote