Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
Aventeren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Question South American to US Shipping Thread

Howdy--

I'm currently in Santiago about to head south (to ride the Carretera Austral and Routa 40 en route to Ushuaia), and I need to find a good way to get my bike back to the US. My plan is currently to ride back up to Santiago instead of Buenos Aires (largely because my wife has told me that I need to leave one cool South American city, Buenos Aires, that we can both explore together for the first time), so I need the option to be out of Santiago/Valparaiso/San Antonio.

I'm interested in tracking down boat options and air options.

I need the bike to get to LA (via air) or Seattle (via boat).

What do the ADV Gods have to say? Does anyone have any current info?

I did run across one thread on boat shipping. Here is what I was told by GastonUSAChile:

Mike, we are shipping a container with several motorcycles to California, U.S. . This will happen around end of March to April .
Our basis includes Santiago-Chile storage, customs, loading and assistance w/ paperwork at destinaiton (L.A. , Seattle).
We must count with 5 or more motorcycles in order to make it feasible. which by that time surely we'll have.

We have exprience in these type of shipping and we are just exporting a container from Valparaiso to Seattle next week with 8 bikes.

The cost is around $1,600 for everything in Chile+freight plus $200 +- sharing the cost at destination. This is based on 6-10 bikes.

The good thing is you arrive in Santiago to our warehouse and leave the bike and docs, then we ship them once we gather all the bikes ready to go.

Please, sned me an email to SAMERICAXPLORER@GMAIL in order to keep our contact and communication.

Spread the word!

Thanks
Gaston E./SAMX

Maybe we could covert this thread into a sticky thread that others could use to post their current information for the benefit of all?

Okay, I'm going to go and drink a cup of coffee and then ride all day to Pucon (top of the Lakes District in Chile). I'll therefore be gone for the day.

Thanks!
Aventeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
It would be worth a ride back to Colombia imho;
I think RtwPaul has some of the latest on one of the cheapest fares out of SA to USA and its from Bogota, Colombia to Miami, FLA. On the opposite coast but for the money saved it should/could make it worth it. Something like a little under 1K for the bike all in.

Lynn(sp?) Cargo and ask for Veronica. A pm to Paul should go a long way
You can get back to the lower 48 just about as cheap as crossing the GAP
Besides everyone should go ride Colombia again and again.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Aventeren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dang, I would love to go all the way back up to Bogota, but unfortunately I would arrive back to the US to divorce papers--plus the cheaper shipping costs back to Miami (wrong coast) from Bogota, will be totally eaten up by gas through Chile and Peru alone--not to mention lodging, food and beer...plus Miami to the West Coast. So although I love the idea (), I need to figure out a way to ship from Santiago to the West Coast.

This has been the challenge to me all along on this trip: no tango mucho tiempo.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
1Man2Wheels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
If your'e thinking of shipping from Santiago, it might be worth speaking to Martina at Villa Kunterbunt in Valparaiso. She runs a bikers only hostel there and can handle martime freight.

I stayed at the hostel last year and while I was there she arranged shipping for several bikes back to Europe, but can arrange for US ports also. The website is http://villakunterbuntvalpo.blogspot.com/. (German only but she speaks English too.)
1Man2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
MotoDiscovery http://www.motodiscovery.com/ is a US based tour company that ships bikes to/from S. America regularly. It's been a few years, but in 2006 I could have shipped my bike back to the US from Santiago with them, in a container. I ended up going to BsAs and not doing it. Would be worth an email.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #6
Aventeren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, AndyT. I'll run this down and post up the most current info here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
MotoDiscovery http://www.motodiscovery.com/ is a US based tour company that ships bikes to/from S. America regularly. It's been a few years, but in 2006 I could have shipped my bike back to the US from Santiago with them, in a container. I ended up going to BsAs and not doing it. Would be worth an email.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #7
Aventeren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, 1Man2Wheels; I'll contact Martina and post up the most current info here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Man2Wheels View Post
If your'e thinking of shipping from Santiago, it might be worth speaking to Martina at Villa Kunterbunt in Valparaiso. She runs a bikers only hostel there and can handle martime freight.

I stayed at the hostel last year and while I was there she arranged shipping for several bikes back to Europe, but can arrange for US ports also. The website is http://villakunterbuntvalpo.blogspot.com/. (German only but she speaks English too.)