Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
GreenOrange OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
East Africa: suggestion and border crossing info?

Hello all, I have some question for you, if you can help:

- do you know some interesting but underrated/unknown place to visit or to stay in Rwanda (north west, central), Tanzania (Victoria Lake west and south, Serengeti) and Kenia (Mara, Victoria lake east and north)?

- do you know if the following border crossing are easy to cross or if they need longtime? Uganda/Rwanda (from Kisoro, or Katuna), Rwanda/Tanzania (Rusumo), Tanzania/Kenya (Isebania), Kenya/Uganda (Busia).

We'll ride rented motorbikes, the owner says there are no problem to cross these border as he will give us a document to take them abroad, but I would understand if we have to expect to waste lot of time or if these borders are *normally* hassle free.

Thank you all
GreenOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
RTW Motorcycling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I can't speak for Rwanda but in general Tanzania and Kenya are accomodating for tourists and see a fair bit of traffic and the border crossings are pretty straightforward, especially from an African perspective.

For specific border crossings per se, I'd post the same question over at HU.

www.horizonsunlimited.com
RTW Motorcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
GreenOrange OP
Adventurer

Thank you for your reply, RTW Motorcycling. It's good to read that these borders are not difficult, as I plan to cross them during long riding days.
About the HUBB, I wrote there too, but as these are very specific questions it seems to be difficult to find info.
Thank you again, bye!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
themotojourney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Kenya and Tanzania tips

The border crossing into Tanzania from Kenya should be smooth. They see a lot of overland traffic. The Tanzanian visa is $50, payable at the crossing. You then get a tourist permit which should be enough time to ride through and ride on.

As for places to stay; Arusha is the safari capital of Northern Tanzania as you know, so best to not stay to long with the wazungu hordes there.

I'm just starting a motorcycle blog at http://journeymanbiker.blogspot.com. It began as an online journal to document motorcycle touring, kit reviews and inspirational ideas for adventure. I've also travelled a fair bit in Kenya and Tanzania so do get in touch for any more advice.
themotojourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
bison37
brooklyn bison

Oddometer: 19
...ngorogoro crater in tanzania is gorgeous... if you're up for a ferry ride, Zanzibar is amazing...
bison37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
GreenOrange OP
Adventurer

Journey_man and bison37, many thanks for the info.
I'm working on the itinerary that is almost complete, and we decided not to spend too much time in Tanzania.
This is not lack of interest, but of time and money. We decided to concentrate the trip on Rwanda and, on the safari side, on the Mara where the period is the richest of fauna.
Maybe we'll visit Serengeti and Ngorongoro on a future trip: as a friend of mine says, we always have to miss something on a trip, to have a good reason to be back again.

Journey_man, I saw your blog: incredible picture today! And many compliments for your motorbike...