ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #1
Clem Kevin OP
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 928
Suggested rides between Nevada and New Mexico?

Hey there, a buddy and I wanted to try and swing a 5-10 day trip between the three states once it starts warming up a little. I'd really like to just stay off the grid other than for gas each day. I'm on an xr400 and he's on a klx300, both plated, both of us experienced but him much more. Anyways, I could totally search around and find some info, but I'm being lazy and I'd love some suggestions on what kind of options I have in the region. I'm more than happy to take Google Earth and GPX files to check out as well.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,663
See Southern Route and SMTS on GPSXchange.com

Also see something like WBNM an Inmate on Adv who posted several such loops.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:18 AM   #3
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
We have been doing a mostly dirt loop from central NM to southern Nevada and back most springs for the past ~5 years. Here are tracks from last year and links to ride reports.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981366

We manage to find lots of new stuff each year.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 AM   #4
Clem Kevin OP
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 928
Thanks wbbnm. Do you guys camp out? Do you have fuel drops or do you hit gas stations?
Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
We stay in motels.

All of the bikes have at least a 150 mile range in the tank and we usually carry an extra gallon which pushes it to about a safe 200 miles.

We have no chase trucks or gas drops. A drop would not be practical 500 miles from home.

I go to great lengths to plan the trips so we don't run out of gas. This includes making really really sure all the roads go thru. And there is a viable alternate if I am not sure.

The biggest gap on that trip is from Mesquite to Fredonia which is 185 miles and can stretch to 200 if we screw up.

There may be gas at Bar-10, but it is a long (~15 mile?) detour each way and they charge a lot, and may nt have any.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #6
TemeculaTim
Timeteo Viejo

Oddometer: 154
I did a lot of riding out of Las Cruces NM. while there for work last year. Followed parts of the original Butterfield Overland Stage Route from Mesilla to Tucson. Also spent a lot of weekends riding up into southern and eastern Arizona areas. Chiricahua's Mnts. and north of Tucson areas up into Mogollon Rim and The Gila National forest areas areas were cool. Also rode up into Southern Utah and loved the Escalante and Boulder areas along hwy 12. Check out Hells Backbone and the Notom Burr trail. Two bitchen rides in the area north of Lake Powell