User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #76
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
I'm not pissed off, I just think you went overboard a bit. Don't worry, I'll be going over mine closely.

As for the wood, please post a pic of what you're talking about. One of the big things they seemed to emphasize when I looked at these was "no wood." I expect zero biodegradable material in my trailer. *shrug*

As for the quality problem, at the very least we know they HAD a problem in 2011. And yes, you may have some claim as to how they've handled your problem.

As for "custom", your trailer is a custom order, period. They have floorplans with options, but they really build a pretty standard config en masse and if you deviate from that they have to step back a bit and do things differently. I know what you're saying in that they are all hand built and you're right, I'm just saying that any unit with no bathroom or kitchen is VERY rare on their assembly line.

Hey, I'm not pissed. And sure, I'm a little more defensive because I have a new one on order, I admit. But my expectations may still be a little lower than yours. I do expect "the best" as far as RVs go, but I honestly don't feel like the bar is still very high, unfortunately. The rest of the rants that have followed about quality in this country ARE true. Not even gonna try to debate that as people are right and it is a sad situation.

But never fear, I'll be going over mine closely. But I will say this...a big part of my decision to buy wasn't just the product, it was the dealer I have local to me. I can tell crap from people who care, and I feel like they will stand behind it even if Livin' Lite didn't. Hopefully I don't have to verify that, but it still means something to me...

--Donnie
Old 03-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #77
Claybuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Did you guys look into ATC at all? Seems they'll build to order about anything. On a similar all aluminum platform.
Claybuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #78
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybuster View Post
Did you guys look into ATC at all? Seems they'll build to order about anything. On a similar all aluminum platform.
Yes. They will. They're a tad heavier (bad for me!) and a decent amount more expensive. I'm *quite* sure they're better built, but at the end of the day the weight was enough that I was scared it wouldn't work for me and the extra quality I didn't NEED for the extra money it would have cost.

I have had SEVERAL ATC trailers, and they build excellent products. Still have two, working to sell one that I no longer need though (two car stacker with lift gate).

--Donnie
Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #79
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

Oddometer: 790
Anyway, to bring this thread back on track...

I don't have a wall apart right now to show what I think is wood paneling, here is a picture of a hole I just drilled. If this ain't wood, what is it? It's not plastic or metal. Maybe some compressed cardboard something. Regardless, same characteristics as wood. Perhaps a wood by product?

TV is installed...

New folding bed / dinette is done...

New cabinet is up...
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #80
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
My goodness...so far what do we have? You found one problem that COULD be chalked up as an honest mistake and are simply ASSUMING it's some kind of wide-spread problem without any evidence to back that up. You're already up to $300 they're offering you for that one mistake, which seems pretty reasonable, IMHO.

Sure, if you strip the rest of the walls and find it's half insulated or something, then we got a problem. I'm not saying that will or won't happen, but it's not kind to just start lumping Livin' Lite in with every other RV manufacturer *just* because of something that might just be one mistake.

And remember, what you bought was actually *custom* work. It's the one that's *most* likely to be messed up for what you got, anyway. Sure, there's less of it to be messed up, so you brought your percentages down some that way, but in reality, the less standard it is, the more likely what you did get gets hosed, IMHO.

I'm sure Livin' Lite ain't perfect, but so far from what I've seen they are WAY better than anything else going. You sure as hell won't find any wood and staples in there, which will be all over nearly everything else in that segment. As for the warranty thing, again, you're going off the deep end of assumptions without any evidence. *sigh* Besides, your trailer came with almost no "products" in it anyway. They can't refer you to anyone else when something breaks.

--Donnie
A single missing panel can be called a "mistake" An inexcusable mistake maybe but still a mistake.

But the poorly cut foam panels can't be called a "mistake"...it's just poor workmanship and laziness.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #81
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Slammer View Post

That's a pretty sharp setup. Did you pick that up at an RV store or is it from the trailer Mfg ??

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #82
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
A single missing panel can be called a "mistake" An inexcusable mistake maybe but still a mistake.

But the poorly cut foam panels can't be called a "mistake"...it's just poor workmanship and laziness.
So far all the pieces of insulation looked like they were cracked over a knee instead of cut to fit. I think the white styrofoam insulation is junk. I've been replacing it with the blue foam. I've been thinking of taping the joints with metal ducting tape as well.

PA Slammer
Old 03-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #83
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspice View Post
That's a pretty sharp setup. Did you pick that up at an RV store or is it from the trailer Mfg ??

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=48
Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #84
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspice View Post

I got it on the internets, aftermarket. Took a bit of thought on how to mount it with the aluminum studded walls. I have 3 young boys; beds have to been trampoline strong!

PA Slammer
Old 03-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #85
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If this ain't wood, what is it? It's not plastic or metal. Maybe some compressed cardboard something. Regardless, same characteristics as wood. Perhaps a wood by product?

Fiberboard, looks like laminated MDF to me. Worst than wood if you want to hose the whole thing.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #86
Claybuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
So far all the pieces of insulation looked like they were cracked over a knee instead of cut to fit. I think the white styrofoam insulation is junk. I've been replacing it with the blue foam. I've been thinking of taping the joints with metal ducting tape as well.

PA Slammer
I was going to suggest that too. As well as going around all the edges of foam with expanding foam. Preferably closed cell. Then with taped seams, you'll have a vapor barrier.

Any more specific info on the bed setup? That would work great in my project.

Nice looking build BTW.
Claybuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #87
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

http://www.blazinbelltech.com/furniture.html#dinette

$525 PLUS about $215 shipping! The shipping part really almost crushed the deal, but I couldn't find anything as nice.

They delivered it to a UPS freight NOT a UPS shipping place. So you have to pick it up. I feel the shipping price is a lot! But, it is close to 100 lbs, so...

The dinette is VERY well built, and quite sturdy. I'm pretty happy with it. One thing to consider is what do you have in the wall to secure it. The wall mounts are 19 inches (I think) apart, not your standard 16 inch on center. However, the two inside mounts happen to be 32 inches (I think) apart and they lined up nicely with wall studs. The outside ones had to have a cross brace installed in between studs. Those have to be secured (welded) to the studs. I got lucky as my trailer already had them in.

I also decided to run 1 inch square at the mounts down to the floor as inner legs. You can see it in the pics. Lastly I ran my bolts all the way outside, to sandwich the outer wall, studs and inner wall together. It's over engineered for sure... but like I said, I have three little hell raisers that will "try" to rip it down for sure!

They go up easily and convert easily as well. My six year old had no problem showing me "How to do it."

It did NOT come with the table. I used the table from my Sprinter RV and just bought an extra pole and flush mount for the floor, which reluctantly made me drill a 3 1/4" hole to install. However, it turned out great. I still need to seal it though. I also bought a non-flush mount (for under the table). I will probably later down the road make my own table top. You know, someplace to put all the moto stickers!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #88
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybuster View Post
I was going to suggest that too. As well as going around all the edges of foam with expanding foam. Preferably closed cell. Then with taped seams, you'll have a vapor barrier.

Any more specific info on the bed setup? That would work great in my project.

Nice looking build BTW.
I was thinking that the expanding spray foam they use for home insulation would be pretty great...instant vapor barrier and pretty much as high R rating per inch as anything out there.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 AM   #89
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:

PA Slammer
I was just about to make this exact comment. I followed a cargo trailer build out on another site. The starting point was a new, major brand unit that was "fully insulated" and paneled at the factory. It was pretty clear that insulating consisted of sending a knuckle dragger in, with a bag of expanded poly sheets, and a five minute window to insulate and clean up. The foam was clearly snapped and stuffed with no attempt to measure anything. Some full height vertical panels were nearly a foot short of the top plate. In your case unfortunately, the insulation is pretty much decorative. With aluminum skins, and hundreds of lineal feet of framing acting as a highly conductive thermal bridge, the existing beadboard foam is doing little but buffering sound. The real benefit of a tightly installed job, using extruded board (blue styro) is the lack of air space in the wall assembly. This helps to prevent condensation. Good luck, it sure is an interesting project.
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #90
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:

Still researching where to buy some LED bulbs. The trailer has 5 lights each with 2 bulbs for a total of 10 bulbs. They are 921s. Any good leads on where to buy them; radio shack?

Consider LED lighting strips like this:

I prefer warm white for interior lighting. They have peel-and-stick backing and I stuck them right on the ceiling ribs of my trailer. Removed the light bulb from the OEM fixture and connected these wires instead. When installed full width, they provide an amazing amount of light with minimal shadows. And they don't draw much, either. I have a master light switch at the side door but still use the original light switch on each OEM fixture so I can select which "bank" is illuminated.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: