Oddometer: 871
Those sound cool. Any pics?

PA Slammer
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #92
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,239
Here's a shot during daylight, both rear doors open. After I finish insulating the front walls, I'm going to insulate and skin the ceiling. The v-nose front cap is fiberglass, which lets in quite a bit of diffuse light that you can see here between the two hanging speakers:

Here's the modified OEM light fixture. I removed the leads to the original bulb base and attached them to the LED strips. The original light bulb is still in there. Should the LEDs fail, I can switch the wires back to the incandescent fixture. The switch operates this "bank" of lights:

And a night shot, both rear doors open, no flash (iso 1600, f2.8, 1/20 according to Canon). For this application, I prefer the warm white LED lights. The bright white ones are just too blue for my eyes. It's bright enough to read a book, cook/clean or wrench should you need to. Once the walls and ceiling are painted white, it will be even better:

With all of lights on as you see, they draw about 0.75amps. To use them, you need some soldering skills. The strip is a thin flexible "board", so a low-wattage iron is best. It solders quickly.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #93
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

You got me thinking.

PA Slammer
Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #94
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Battery charging

I would also reconsider the solar charging for your house batteries. A standalone solar system on your roof will keep your batteries topped off when the trailer is parked and you aren't using it, no matter where it's parked. So that means no need for a shore power connection at home.

Do the research on battery charging. It takes quite a high voltage to "push" current into a battery. Your trailer pigtail may be voltage limited due to resistance in the chassis wiring, so it won't even top off the batteries no matter how long your tow rig is running. Using a generator with a plug-in type of charger is not an efficient way to go if you have anything more than a single battery. With depleted batteries, it can take many hours to charge at the rate that most off-the-shelf chargers put out, like a Battery Tender. Think about it, we're talking Amp-hours here, so if you have depleted your battery bank by 25 Amp-hours, it will take 25-hours to recharge it at 1-Amp. And using a larger unit will put out more amps, but then it can cook your batteries. So, If you really want to use a generator, get a good built-in type of self-regulating charger on your trailer to maximize the output to the batteries (without cooking them) to reduce run time on your generator. It will also work if you have shore power available. Since the places I plan to go don't have shore power, I decided I didn't want to depend on running my generator that much, so I went with solar. I still have a generator for backup (if I can get it to start...), but I don't need to always take it with me.

The solar system I'm installing on my trailer runs my AC/DC compressor refrigerator, lights and stereo and still have juice left over to charge the batteries. Don't bother with the 10-50Watt "ready to go" systems you see on Amazon and other online retailers. Do some research and shop around. Good money on a good charge controller is money well spent. I actually found a fair deal on Craigslist at a not-so-local solar retailer/installer. Got me two panels and a cheap charge controller or about $200-ish, 130W-ish rated capacity). I spent even more money on a good MPPT controller that is quite intelligent and will allow me to configure my system in multiple ways and allow expansion in the future.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #95
VTvfr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Just remember, we live in the land of the perpetual gray sky

'07 990 Adv
'07 250 XC-W
(plated)
'03 600RR
(track duty only now)
'94 VFR750 (sold)
VTvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #96
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTvfr View Post
Just remember, we live in the land of the perpetual gray sky
True. But you also don't need clean clear sun to get power from it. Even overcast provides some juice, it's just reduced. There is a lot of real estate on the roofs of these trailers. Solar isn't perfect for everyone, especially those with high electric loads. But a properly sized and installed solar system and battery bank will provide plenty of power for most needs.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #97
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt hokie View Post
awsome

i wonder if its possable to just buy the fold out bunk componets, lots of possabilities for small light stuff.
Im sure it is. ive been looking around for a while to do to my camper shell since its 5' tall
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #98
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 809
How much for that setup? ive just been running the outdoor round tube style in warm white in my toy hauler for movie time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Consider LED lighting strips like this:

I prefer warm white for interior lighting. They have peel-and-stick backing and I stuck them right on the ceiling ribs of my trailer. Removed the light bulb from the OEM fixture and connected these wires instead. When installed full width, they provide an amazing amount of light with minimal shadows. And they don't draw much, either. I have a master light switch at the side door but still use the original light switch on each OEM fixture so I can select which "bank" is illuminated.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:16 AM   #99
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
How much for that setup? ive just been running the outdoor round tube style in warm white in my toy hauler for movie time!
$10-20 for a roll of 5-meters, some waterproof. Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-EVER-...led+strip+warm

Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #100
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,811
uh-oh.....tyme for an update!!!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #101
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #102
PorkChopExpress
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
I read the comments about fiberboard and MDF in the OP's trailer and because I have been considering a similar purchase, I contacted the company and this was their response:

"No, we do not use any wood or MDF in our toy haulers. Only azdel which is a
composite board made of fiberglass and composites.

The queen bed is 84" long by about 56" wide. The regular tip out is also
84" long, by about 48" wide. FYI

Scott Tuttle
President
LIVIN LITE Recreational Vehicles"
PorkChopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #103
norm67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
New cabinet is up...
[/QUOTE]

Where are the cabinets from?? Are you happy with them?
norm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #104
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

Can't remember the cabinet's manufacture right off. I can find out if you really want. However, they are very cheaply made. I bought it to store pillows and blankets. They are very flimsy. Looks decent though. Inexpensive.

The VRV cabinets are great. Very strong.

PA Slammer
Old 04-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #105
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

No real updates other than LED lights. I need to really polish it up though. Any good suggestions for getting aluminum back to shiny? Being that it sat on the lot for two years before I bought it, it has dulled a lot. Even the center caps on the rims are starting to rust a bit. And the step is steel and starting to rust a bit as well. I think I'll take it off and give it a coat of rhino liner! The whole trailer really needs to be cleaned and waxed / polished.

We did get to use it on a 4 day camping trip without bikes. They boys and a friend of theirs loved it. It gave them their own space.

I've been considering buying a Polaris 170 for the boys. It would probably fit nicely. Would love to find a used one in good shape.

MPG towing went from around 17/18 to 14/15...

PA Slammer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: