User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #106
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

Oddometer: 876
BTW, VRV did apologize for the missing insulation and said it was not indicative whatsoever with how they build things. They also compensated me for material and a fair price for two days of work.

Although I think it will take a lot more than a weekend to take the rest of the interior apart to check for missing insulation... I feel they did the right thing by compensating me for what was found.
At this point I feel it was more of a lazy worker than something indicative to VRV quality. I am pretty happy with the trailer so far. And to be honest, I haven't seen anything close out there to what they offer. I just wish these types of things would not happen, especially when built in the USA. I certainly don't mind buying foreign, but I feel personally hurt when American quality is anything but excellent.

Long story short... I'd buy VRV again, but as with most purchases, I'd be ready to inspect it thoroughly.

PA Slammer
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #107
djb_rh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Slammer View Post
BTW, VRV did apologize for the missing insulation and said it was not indicative whatsoever with how they build things. They also compensated me for material and a fair price for two days of work.

Although I think it will take a lot more than a weekend to take the rest of the interior apart to check for missing insulation... I feel they did the right thing by compensating me for what was found.
At this point I feel it was more of a lazy worker than something indicative to VRV quality. I am pretty happy with the trailer so far. And to be honest, I haven't seen anything close out there to what they offer. I just wish these types of things would not happen, especially when built in the USA. I certainly don't mind buying foreign, but I feel personally hurt when American quality is anything but excellent.

Long story short... I'd buy VRV again, but as with most purchases, I'd be ready to inspect it thoroughly.

I picked mine up last week. They not only got it done in time, they got it done a week or two ahead of when they said. I haven't pulled anything apart to see how my insulation is, but so far I've been VERY happy with what I got for my money.

I didn't care for the VRV logo decals, but they are coming off quite painlessly. There's also NOTHING in the way of towel rods, hooks, etc, but that's fine as RV folks tend to jack that up anyway. I love whatever material they use for the "floor" of the ramp as you couldn't slip on that stuff if it was covered in snot.

Not thrilled they don't do airliner track recessed in the floor (not even as an option), but we'll figure something out there. So far everything they've done seems to make a good bit of sense. Gonna add the SeeLevel system to the tanks. Surprised they don't do ANY level system, but at the same time almost NO RV companies do anything but those three level systems that have a sensor through the tank. Those suck rocks, but the SeeLevel system is a full percentage based system that senses THROUGH the tank, no holes required. I never asked if that was an option, but I'd bet it is.

--Donnie
Old 04-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #108
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

Pics or it didn't happen!

PA Slammer
Old 04-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #109
djb_rh
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Pics or it didn't happen!
Hahaha, I forget everyone is so picture oriented sometimes. I already had them online, even!

Behind my Navion 24J:

CamoCot XL's fit across it, but not with the couch down (not my kid):

That four seat Rhino does fit inside, just barely. I didn't really think it would, didn't care if it did, but it was easy to try and it actually does.

There's a few more here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3264383...7633258182887/

--Donnie
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #110
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post

--Donnie

Interesting. I was just trying to figure out who manufactured that fold-down bed component.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #111
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

My VRV didn't come with one. I found a company on the inter web that makes them. Expensive and shipping was costly.

VRV said I could order one through them, but it was more expensive... :(

PA Slammer
Old 04-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #112
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

The bench / dinette is from Blazin Bel Tech. Very happy with it. Shipping cost was very expensive though! Still seemed to be the best I found out there for the price.

djb, NICE RIG! I LOVE IT!

PA Slammer
Old 04-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #113
djb_rh
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
djb, NICE RIG! I LOVE IT!
We're doing a lot of little mods along with the bike rack inside for its first trip in the middle of May. I'll post some more pics of what we've done right before we load up for that trip.

We have already removed the VRV graphics, installed a tall-boy propane tank, and got a variety of hooks and paper towel holders and other minor interior bits. Got some rug options and will add some sort of semi-permanent place to keep the rug inside, too. Creature comforts and all that. :)

--Donnie
Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #114
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Interesting. I was just trying to figure out who manufactured that fold-down bed component.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Try flexsteel. Used to supply all convertible furniture to Fleetwood.

Sent from my iPhone using stinking tapatalk which ain't got no emoticons.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #115
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

I'll check for a brand name on the unit.

PA Slammer
Old 06-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #116
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

Electrical HELP!

Hey Guys... haven't been playing with the trailer in a long while, but we're about to take a trip out west and we're taking our 3 boys and 3 of their cousins! Soooooo, I'm making a few purchases and doing a few things and I had a question.

I have a single deep cell battery in the trailer. The trailer will be parked for a few days at a site WITHOUT electricity. I would like to let the kids use the lights when needed (LEDs now installed) and let them watch a movie at night on the 12V/110V TV/DVD combo I installed and I would also like to plug in one of those Dometic 12V/110V fridge/freezers and allow that to run 24/7.

So here's my question, I was at Cabelas today and bought (don't know if I'll keep it, but...) a 20W solar panel that plugs into a cigarette lighter or you can run alligator clips or you can hard wire it. It was only $90 plus another $30 for an over-charge box. I know there are a LOT better ways of doing this, but would this suffice for now? A few LED lights for an hour or so, maybe an hour or two watching a DVD and the 24/7 fridge/freezer.

I know nothing about electrons and to be honest, I don't want to know that much. I already have too many hobbies that suck the life out of me and electrical engineering isn't going to make it's way to the top of the list too quickly.

Can someone knowledgeable ask me what you need to know to answer this? I know everything depends on duration and intensity of sunlight, etc... but I'm happy with a "it should be fine" or a "no way, it'll kill your battery in a heartbeat".

I don't have the info on the TV/DVD combo at the moment...

Here is the solar charger and over-charge box...
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104268780

Here is the fridge freezer...
http://www.adventurerv.net/dometic-c...5-p-14185.html

Here are the LED lights I put in...
1 1156-x45-T: 1156 LED Bulb - Single Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower 1156-CW45-T: 1156 Cool White
6 WLED-xHP15-TAC: 194 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower WLED-CWHP15-TAC: Cool White
1 G4-xHP45-TAC: LED Tower G4 Lamp, 45 High Power LEDs G4-CWHP45-TAC: G4 Cool White
Old 06-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #117
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Hey Guys... haven't been playing with the trailer in a long while, but we're about to take a trip out west and we're taking our 3 boys and 3 of their cousins! Soooooo, I'm making a few purchases and doing a few things and I had a question.

I have a single deep cell battery in the trailer. The trailer will be parked for a few days at a site WITHOUT electricity. I would like to let the kids use the lights when needed (LEDs now installed) and let them watch a movie at night on the 12V/110V TV/DVD combo I installed and I would also like to plug in one of those Dometic 12V/110V fridge/freezers and allow that to run 24/7.

So here's my question, I was at Cabelas today and bought (don't know if I'll keep it, but...) a 20W solar panel that plugs into a cigarette lighter or you can run alligator clips or you can hard wire it. It was only $90 plus another $30 for an over-charge box. I know there are a LOT better ways of doing this, but would this suffice for now? A few LED lights for an hour or so, maybe an hour or two watching a DVD and the 24/7 fridge/freezer.

I know nothing about electrons and to be honest, I don't want to know that much. I already have too many hobbies that suck the life out of me and electrical engineering isn't going to make it's way to the top of the list too quickly.

Can someone knowledgeable ask me what you need to know to answer this? I know everything depends on duration and intensity of sunlight, etc... but I'm happy with a "it should be fine" or a "no way, it'll kill your battery in a heartbeat".

I don't have the info on the TV/DVD combo at the moment...

Here is the solar charger and over-charge box...
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104268780

Here is the fridge freezer...
http://www.adventurerv.net/dometic-c...5-p-14185.html

Here are the LED lights I put in...
1 1156-x45-T: 1156 LED Bulb - Single Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower 1156-CW45-T: 1156 Cool White
6 WLED-xHP15-TAC: 194 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower WLED-CWHP15-TAC: Cool White
1 G4-xHP45-TAC: LED Tower G4 Lamp, 45 High Power LEDs G4-CWHP45-TAC: G4 Cool White
That charger will only put out 1.6 amps @ 12v 20/12=1.666666666666666666666amps. X 10 hrs 16.6666666 amphours

I wouldn't wast my money it will just cover normal drain on the battery.

My cabin is off grid before we went solar we would run a small generator (1500W) to watch a movie at (120v) at night and have a good battery charger (120v) 20 amps @ 12v = 2 amps @120v charging the battery 2-3hrs @ 20 amps and a good marine battery would last no problems we did have a 12v radio on most of the day.

Our generator was a quite one on a 100 ft cord (10 gauge) on the other side of the car could hardly hear it.

I'd spend a couple more shekels and get a small generator check the reviews though.

Mine is and old Onan and it never has had a problem except rusted out gas tank ( thanks ethanol)

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...9729-8787.html

seems to have good reviews

look at the HF $79.00 2 stroke ones seems to have fair reviews

tommu56 screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 09:24 AM
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #118
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

I totally understand that plain and simply, generators work... charge more efficiently and run tons of stuff.

I'd rather go with batteries at night and solar recharge during the day.

I'm just amazed that in this day in age, a more simple and efficient solar setup isn't an option. I can't even find a place to do a retrofit. Seems I have to become an electrical engineer and do the work myself. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not lazy, just busy.

Does anyone know of a business that does solar installs within a reasonable drive from Pittsburgh?

PA Slammer
Old 07-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #119
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
look at this kit it will do your basic needs but have to be self install

http://www.backwoodssolar.com/system...r-power-system

I got all my solar stuff from them they are a group.

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #120
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,243
I currently have one 120-ish Amp-hour 12VDC deep cycle battery (not a marine battery, but one specifically for deep cycle use). Literature states you should only use half of the capacity, so I have 60 amp-hrs available. I have two 85 Watt panels, but only have used one at a single time. My lights draw maybe 2 amps, stereo maybe 5 amps and refrigerator 5 amps (when the compressor is running). My solar charger is a SunSaver MPPT.

My last outing had a lot of sunshine (it was quite warm during the day) and my panel was flat on the roof. I started the two-night weekend with the battery completely full. During the first day on this particular trip, I got the battery to the float stage, but by morning time, the charger was telling me it was on the depleted side. But I don't have one of the battery "fuel gauges" yet either, so I can't say for sure exactly how much I actually discharged it overnight. The second day, the battery never got topped off with my solar system. I'm sure that dust from the race certainly affected the panel's efficiency.

Basically, that 20W system won't work for you. I plan on installing my second panel (in series) and a second battery to get me the storage and generation I think I need.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: