User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
live4daride OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Who has owned a DR650 and a KTM690?

Hi guys, don't worry, I don't want to start another "which bike?" thread where we end up comparing postie's against Hayabusa .
As the title states, who's owned both? I am interested in hearing your thoughts and experience, as opposed to speculation, which there is plenty. How much better/capable, given the extra money, is the KTM ?

I have a reasonbly well set up DR, and a while ago rode a friends mostly standard KTM, and didn't think the DR was that far off. The KTM had a wider spread of power, but the DR would do very similar speeds on a given dirt road/easy fire trails.

I have mainly used the DR for road riding and fast dirtroad riding as well as going to the shops, work or taking the girlie for a double, and have constantly thought this was the best $4700 I have spent, and so far have not had any complaints about the bike. Recently i have been getting it on to more rougher fire trails and am quickly finding limits with suspension and weight and throttle response. ( I'm used to riding sports bikes at track days,enduro bikes, dirt track and speedway)

What I am thinking, is : Do i try and upgrade suspension, already have gold valves, heavier springs, rear shock revalve, so would be looking at different forks and shock, add pumper carby etc or go for a KTM?
live4daride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
ADVJake
i like stuff

Oddometer: 4,338
Owned a DR650 for an extended period, rode a KTM 690 for abit, back to back with an XR650R.
Theres not much in it, XRR vs 690.
They both have race heritage.

The DR is in a whole nother league, its designed to be a bush cruiser, rather than a racer.
Its easier to ride the KTM fast, the DR will do everything, but its subjective whether it will be as fun. Depends what riding does for you.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,627
Rossco ACT is your man, although he seems to be MIA these days, havent seem him on the forum now for quite a while!
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,236
Calling carmima to the batphone

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,224
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post
Rossco ACT is your man, although he seems to be MIA these days, havent seem him on the forum now for quite a while!
He could certainly describe how they feel when they detonate beneath you while riding them.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
He could certainly describe how they feel when they detonate beneath you while riding them.
I had dinner with the great man late last year and he said that he was thinking about moving on from the 690

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,090
B1 has owned both (and many many others) . He went dr to 690 ( which i dont think he was mad about ) and is looking at dr again .

He would be good to talk to .
Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by stujamur View Post
B1 has owned both (and many many others) . He went dr to 690 ( which i dont think he was mad about ) and is looking at dr again .

He would be good to talk to .
He hates the 690 that much he built a website about how bad he thought it was and I seen him ride both his DR and the 690 and he is much more at home on the DR

It all depends what you want outa a bike the two you have picked dont have much in common , no one else can choose for you , mickd has owned both bikes and im sure he would have differant views than B1

Beer'o'clock Baz screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 01:36 AM
Beer'o'clock Baz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #9
podge NT
Podge NT

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4daride View Post
Hi guys, don't worry, I don't want to start another "which bike?" thread where we end up comparing postie's against Hayabusa .
As the title states, who's owned both? I am interested in hearing your thoughts and experience, as opposed to speculation, which there is plenty. How much better/capable, given the extra money, is the KTM ?

I have a reasonbly well set up DR, and a while ago rode a friends mostly standard KTM, and didn't think the DR was that far off. The KTM had a wider spread of power, but the DR would do very similar speeds on a given dirt road/easy fire trails.

I have mainly used the DR for road riding and fast dirtroad riding as well as going to the shops, work or taking the girlie for a double, and have constantly thought this was the best $4700 I have spent, and so far have not had any complaints about the bike. Recently i have been getting it on to more rougher fire trails and am quickly finding limits with suspension and weight and throttle response. ( I'm used to riding sports bikes at track days,enduro bikes, dirt track and speedway)

What I am thinking, is : Do i try and upgrade suspension, already have gold valves, heavier springs, rear shock revalve, so would be looking at different forks and shock, add pumper carby etc or go for a KTM?

I have had both. I enjoyed the 690 as an enduro bike, then I tried to turn it into an adventure bike, Big mistake, spent thousands to have a totally impractible machine. Now I have an 800 XC for an adventure bike, great and a DR650 for the snotty stuff. I did 23500 km nearly trouble free on the 690 but never got to be comfortable with the headshake or the lack of comfort on a long ride.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #10
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
I have had both. I enjoyed the 690 as an enduro bike, then I tried to turn it into an adventure bike, Big mistake, spent thousands to have a totally impractible machine. Now I have an 800 XC for an adventure bike, great and a DR650 for the snotty stuff. I did 23500 km nearly trouble free on the 690 but never got to be comfortable with the headshake or the lack of comfort on a long ride.
see different views completly - hey podge looking at a rmx 250 for single track and hill climbs you know much about them ?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #11
podge NT
Podge NT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
see different views completly - hey podge looking at a rmx 250 for single track and hill climbs you know much about them ?

Not a lot I have a TTR 250 for that.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,953
Quote:
He hates the 690 that much he built a website about how bad he thought it was and I seen him ride both his DR and the 690 and he is much more at home on the DR.
well i don't need to say anything now you guys have said it for me. yeah, i didn't like the 2009 690r and sold it very quickly. posted positive and negative points of the kato here.

whereas this video sums up my thoughts on the DR...

it's all subjective though e.g. i never had problems with headshake but guys who love their katos do. checked out all the 690 threads around and it seems like there are roughly three equal groups:
- those who loved their kato right from the start
- others who really got into the bike once they spent the moolah to get it working for them
- the rest of us whingers who just didn't like it, or didn't want to spend the extra needed on an already expensive bike.

some will disagree, but generally the DR650 and the 690R both need suspension work to get them working for most riders.

weight-wise there isn't a lot in it, the 690 picked up some extra weight in 2012 and i think was 142kg dry (earlier models were 138kg), the DR650 is 145kg dry.

huge difference in engines, the 690R has almost double the power. the DR has great bottom end and chugs away from idle happily, the 690R needs mods to iron out its snappy lumpy engine response down low. the DR engine is great if you are happy with 34HP at the rear wheel, but you can't beat the kato for frenzied fish tailing in almost any gear once it's over 5000rpm.

i did ride B2's 690 after all the mods he did and thought i would have kept mine if it had been like that already. but would have had to sell a kidney to afford the mods. i still didn't like the close ratios of the gearbox but not much you can do about that. and that's a just a personal thing, half the reason i like big thumpers is so you aren't changing gears constantly. if you ride aggressively most of the time and like to keep a bike on the boil the gearbox works great imo....

i reckon the only way to be sure is get a decent ride on a 690 in a variety of conditions and speed and see what you reckon. perfection for me would be if they brought out the XR650 again with an e-start. heaven!

B1 screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 11:52 PM Reason: add link
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
podge NT
Podge NT

[QUOTE=B1;20709275

some will disagree, but generally the DR650 and the 690R both need suspension work to get them working for most riders.

Your right there my 690 cost $1000 to get the suspension done but the DR only cost $400. But the DR will never have the travel of the 690
Old 02-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
Wop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Hi B2.. I have one and know a little about them, what would you like to know?
Wop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,893
By swapping the forks and shock on the DR and selling off the originals you can get the DR going good for not a lot of $s, especially if you can do the work yourself. My DR with FCR and KTM WP CC forks and KTM Ohlins shock is great, and so much better than whatever can be done with the stock stuff.