ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
Oz-Strom
Still trying
 
Oz-Strom's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Brisbane Australia
Oddometer: 748
I have owned both - 2006 DR from new, and a 2nd hand low mileage 2008 690E in 2011 for $10k with Wings muffler, pannier rails, safari tank and a few other bits. They are quite different bikes, but can do the same riding/terrain, just differently. The DR never really got me excited - more of a workhorse type of bike. I haven't spent much on the 690, and would have spent more on the DR trying to make it better for my purposes.

My 690 upgrades

- cheap fork fix with new oil and increased air gap (great to have adjustable suspension too for switching between riding loaded and unloaded).
- reshaped seat with better foam
- replaced the fuel pump with CW as a precaution and fitted external fuel filter
- pivotpegz
- hammerhead gear lever
- cheap screen (pinched it off my Aprilia Pegaso)
- B&B rear rack and a couple of tool tubes
- bar risers and steering damper

So similar upgrades (FX carb in lieu of fuel pump) for both really, except the DR needs more money spent on suspension which has to be done. I did the APC in 2012 on the 690 and it was a comfortable, fast (enough for me) and reliable. No headshake or fuelling/mapping issues to date.

For me it is a no-brainer. The 690 is such a better bike than the old school DR, and makes me smile every time I ride it. It has done 25k kms hassle free.
__________________
Cheers
Graham

Oz-Strom screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 05:18 PM
Oz-Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #17
carmima
All Orange :-)
 
carmima's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Rivers, NSW
Oddometer: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post
Calling carmima to the batphone
Just noticed the thread!! I'm a bit MIA these days too.

As ADVJake said, there really no comparison between a DR and a 690.

Without trying to be a smartarse, if you took a 690 for a ride and thought it wasn't dissimilar to the DR, then no amount of replies on here are going to be much assistance - sorry.

However as I'm here and replying, I'll make this observation. The 690 has more power to weight 'get up and go' than the KTM990. I owned a DR650 and went from that to the 690 and there was no comparison I could make, the 2 bikes are nothing alike. Especially in the power department.
While I owned the 690 I also bought a new 990, so was able to jump from one to the other and do actual back to back comparisons of power. The 690 had much quicker acceleration (to a point) than the 990.

Now to put that into some sort of perspective...would you consider the DR to be anything near equal to a 990?

I'm not saying the 690 is the greatest bike either. Value for money, the DR wins on just about any bike out there (in my opinion).

The addictive thing about the 690 is the power...however the rest of the bike is a sort of compromise (again, in my opinion), neither a MX'er or a very good enduro and nothing close to a great ADV bike - go buy a 640 for that.

The 690 is at home on fairly open fire trails and mild single track. It's best at being a suburban hooligan bike though (even without supermoto wheels). It's lightening fast from the lights and pulls wheelies in just about any gear. Great at doing stoppies and best for losing points off your license

Hope that might help
__________________

carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #18
podge NT
Podge NT
 
podge NT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Darwin NT
Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmima View Post
Just noticed the thread!! I'm a bit MIA these days too.

As ADVJake said, there really no comparison between a DR and a 690.

Without trying to be a smartarse, if you took a 690 for a ride and thought it wasn't dissimilar to the DR, then no amount of replies on here are going to be much assistance - sorry.

However as I'm here and replying, I'll make this observation. The 690 has more power to weight 'get up and go' than the KTM990. I owned a DR650 and went from that to the 690 and there was no comparison I could make, the 2 bikes are nothing alike. Especially in the power department.
While I owned the 690 I also bought a new 990, so was able to jump from one to the other and do actual back to back comparisons of power. The 690 had much quicker acceleration (to a point) than the 990.

Now to put that into some sort of perspective...would you consider the DR to be anything near equal to a 990?

I'm not saying the 690 is the greatest bike either. Value for money, the DR wins on just about any bike out there (in my opinion).

The addictive thing about the 690 is the power...however the rest of the bike is a sort of compromise (again, in my opinion), neither a MX'er or a very good enduro and nothing close to a great ADV bike - go buy a 640 for that.

The 690 is at home on fairly open fire trails and mild single track. It's best at being a suburban hooligan bike though (even without supermoto wheels). It's lightening fast from the lights and pulls wheelies in just about any gear. Great at doing stoppies and best for losing points off your license

Hope that might help
Well said
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...1IWs2Hg87TZcsW
Plan, what plan, there is no plan
podge NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #19
B1
Carbon-based bipedal
 
B1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arse-trailer
Oddometer: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmima View Post
It's lightening fast from the lights and pulls wheelies in just about any gear.
true... but while the DR isn't lightning quick it will wheelie in the first four gears too with standard gearing and no engine mods.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #20
carmima
All Orange :-)
 
carmima's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Rivers, NSW
Oddometer: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
true... but while the DR isn't lightning quick it will wheelie in the first four gears too with standard gearing and no engine mods.
That (I believe) depends on the size/weight of the fat arse seated on the DR
No offense meant
__________________

carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #21
B1
Carbon-based bipedal
 
B1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arse-trailer
Oddometer: 3,192
well i'm built like a string bean and usually stand on the pegs to save front rubber...
__________________
free enduro training vids for gumbies here
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #22
chrisamberely
USMC. (retired).
 
chrisamberely's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: West Aus/Texas
Oddometer: 137
[QUOTE=podge NT;20705998]I have had both. I enjoyed the 690 as an enduro bike, then I tried to turn it into an adventure bike, Big mistake, spent thousands to have a totally impractible machine. QUOTE]

I say thats a real good line. Gotta a 690r, and did the usual stuff to sort it out after buying it new. Its a great, big sized enduro that rips and handles it all except maybe tight single trail.
And like most enduro bikes, its not much good when its been turned into an adv bike. Nearly 5 other guys I no have all said they spent lots to try and do just that, wished they hadn't. Thousands of $$ down and not happy with the result. Hard to sell off as well.

I kinda guess thats why its called a 690 ENDURO, not a frickin' 690 ADVENTURE!
chrisamberely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #23
Beer'o'clock Baz
?
 
Beer'o'clock Baz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Toowoomba
Oddometer: 1,728
[QUOTE=chrisamberely;20743727]
Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
I have had both. I enjoyed the 690 as an enduro bike, then I tried to turn it into an adventure bike, Big mistake, spent thousands to have a totally impractible machine. QUOTE]

I say thats a real good line. Gotta a 690r, and did the usual stuff to sort it out after buying it new. Its a great, big sized enduro that rips and handles it all except maybe tight single trail.
And like most enduro bikes, its not much good when its been turned into an adv bike. Nearly 5 other guys I no have all said they spent lots to try and do just that, wished they hadn't. Thousands of $$ down and not happy with the result. Hard to sell off as well.

I kinda guess thats why its called a 690 ENDURO, not a frickin' 690 ADVENTURE!
I think mine is a great adventure bike the only thing is its always in the shop - thank god for warrantys - taking it on a 6day ride camping trip in two weeks , theres not another bike id rather be on to do it
__________________
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me

Beer'o'clock Baz screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 02:44 AM
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:18 AM   #24
podge NT
Podge NT
 
podge NT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Darwin NT
Oddometer: 2,245
[QUOTE=B2;20743739]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisamberely View Post
I think mine is a great adventure bike the only thing is its always in the shop - thank god for warrantys - taking it on a 6day ride camping trip in two weeks , theres not another bike id rather be on to do it

Don't forget to get RACQ top cover
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...1IWs2Hg87TZcsW
Plan, what plan, there is no plan
podge NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:20 AM   #25
Beer'o'clock Baz
?
 
Beer'o'clock Baz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Toowoomba
Oddometer: 1,728
[QUOTE=podge NT;20743865]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post


Don't forget to get RACQ top cover
Yeah I did for that peice of shite 800xc - I shudder just thinking about that thing
__________________
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:25 AM   #26
podge NT
Podge NT
 
podge NT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Darwin NT
Oddometer: 2,245
[QUOTE=B2;20743871]
Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
Yeah I did for that peice of shite 800xc - I shudder just thinking about that thing

22000 km on mine still has wheel bearings. The shudder comes from the headshake on the new bike.
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...1IWs2Hg87TZcsW
Plan, what plan, there is no plan
podge NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #27
Beer'o'clock Baz
?
 
Beer'o'clock Baz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Toowoomba
Oddometer: 1,728
[QUOTE=podge NT;20743881]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post


22000 km on mine still has wheel bearings. The shudder comes from the headshake on the new bike.
Im pleased for ya
__________________
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #28
podge NT
Podge NT
 
podge NT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Darwin NT
Oddometer: 2,245
[QUOTE=B2;20743888]
Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
Im pleased for ya

I hope you have a good trouble free trip mate. As I said before I had very little trouble with my 690 I just didn't like it as an adv bike
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...1IWs2Hg87TZcsW
Plan, what plan, there is no plan
podge NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #29
chrisamberely
USMC. (retired).
 
chrisamberely's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: West Aus/Texas
Oddometer: 137
[QUOTE=podge NT;20743865]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post


Don't forget to get RACQ top cover
Wasn't me that said what you were quoting. I'd never turn an enduro into an adv bike. Bikes do 1 thing good (usually) and and another thing bad so buy the bike for it was meant for.

My 690 has 19 000 on her and not a day in the workshop apart from usual tire an oil changes. 1 of the best bikes I ever owned.
chrisamberely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #30
Big Willy
two dementional
 
Big Willy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast
Oddometer: 2,173
[QUOTE=chrisamberely;20747971]
Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post

Wasn't me that said what you were quoting. I'd never turn an enduro into an adv bike. Bikes do 1 thing good (usually) and and another thing bad so buy the bike for it was meant for.

My 690 has 19 000 on her and not a day in the workshop apart from usual tire an oil changes. 1 of the best bikes I ever owned.
Took mine out for a blast on Saturday and would also have to say that it's one of the funnest bikes I've ever owned.

I've got no intentions of adventurising it other than being able to carry a bed for an occasional overnighter and a spare ten litres of fuel.

It's a thoroughbred...not a donkey
__________________
2012 690R Thoroughbred Racehorse
2010 700 Transalp Donkey
Big Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014