User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
augiedog OP
augie dog

Oddometer: 688
2 DR's a KLR & 3 old Retires on theTAT

This trip came about thru the chance meeting of another adventure rider on a weekend dualsport ride with a group of half a dozen riders from the charlotte nc riders group.We were up in the Linville Gourge, Brown Mt. area riding some fire service roads when we crossed paths with another solo ride going in the other direction. One of our group was having throttle cable problems and we had stopped to swap the return cable for the go cable. He stopped to see if we needed any help and we struck up a conversation while the cable was being switched out.He began telling me he rode a lot alone as he was retired and most of his riding buddies were still working. I began telling him I was in the same situation and we talked about hookin up and doing some riding together. As luck would have it we meet again about 4 hours and 50 miles later on another trail he again going the oppsite direction. As we were stopped taking a lunch break he again stopped and we began talking about a trip on the TAT he was trying to put together. I explained I to was wanting to do a TAT trip and we briefly discussed a possible trip together. We exchanged phone numbers and discovered we lived only about 12 miles apart. Over the next several weeks we talked and I rode up and visited him at his home. He told me he had 2 other friends intrested in going and if I wanted to be the 4th man they would like to have me join them. I agreed and we began making preparations to leave the Charlotte area actually (Iron Station NC) where he lives around the 17th of May.
Allen's friend from Fla. had to back out a the last minute due to a back injury, so it would be myself on the 05 KLR 650 Allen on a 98 DR 650 Bud, Allen's brother from Pittsburg Pa.on a 93 DR 650 kick crank bike. Bud would trailer down to Allen's and we would leave on the morning of the 17 of may 2013.

augiedog screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 12:00 PM
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
augiedog OP
augie dog

introduction

I'll start, with myself. I have been riding over 45 years. Rode motorcross and road raced in the late 60's, bought a 900 sportster in 1972 on the west coast and rode it home after getting discharged from the military in Washington state. Since then I have owned too many bikes to count but have always leaned toward long distance and adventure style riding. I was very active in the Iron Butt rally scene and have made 2 trips from NC to Alaska, one on a FZ-1 and one on a KLR-650. This is my current KLR and the one I will ride on this trip.

augiedog screwed with this post 02-14-2014 at 10:57 PM
Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
augiedog OP
augie dog

introduction, meet Allen and Bud

Allen and Bud grew up in south Fla where Allen raced motorcross and cross country enduros before retiring to NC 7 years ago. Being a retired surveyer he is very proficient at mapping and laying out off road routes. He will be our nagivator for this trip. Bud now lives in Pittsburg Pa where he retired and currently works part time for Lowes. He and Allen have been riding dualsport rides in the western NC mountians and in the upstate Pa mountians over the last several years. Here is a picture of them on the bikes they will ride, Allen on the left and Bud on the right.

augiedog screwed with this post 02-14-2014 at 10:59 PM
Old 05-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
Deanman
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
In!

Right on! I'm going to do the TAT one day on my DR650, hopefully next summer. Anxious to follow along with you guys.
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,422
This does sound like fun,I keep thinking about the OBCD route and then Washington as well.

My DR needs to get out.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
bobasheely
n00b

Oddometer: 1
new to this but I think I'm going to love it.

I'm going to do the OBCD this summer. I bought a Super Tenere for the trip. Been street touring for about 35 years so this is a new way to enjoy two wheels and I'm excited about it. My friend juts got a 2000 Super Sherpa with, gte this, 411 miles on it. It is showroom new with all the extras for off road touring, the guy who had it just never took it anywhere. Six weeks, and we'll be on our way. If it's as good as I think it will be, next summer will be the the TAT.
bobasheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
augiedog OP
augie dog

TAT trip preperation

Today is the last day before we leave. I spent most of it going over the bike and double checking what I was taking.We are going to be mostly wilderness camping and cooking our meals at camp.It is diffcult to carry everything needed to be completly self sufficent and not be overloaded. I will start out carrying camping gear,food,water and everything needed for 5 days. Have been able to get my load down to 42lbs. This includes everything except my tools, tire repair kit and air compressor,all of which are stored in the tool tube attached to the front of engine guard. I am using 2 givi side cases, a givi trunk and a 20 liter dry bag on the rear of the seat. A small set of leather saddle bags and a tank bag will carry the food and electronics, ie. Cameras ,charging cords, batterys and such. Here is a picture of the bike fully loaded and ready to go.Allen and Bud are similarly loaded other than they are both using soft side luggage.

augiedog screwed with this post 02-14-2014 at 11:02 PM
Old 05-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
augiedog OP
augie dog

wensday may16th - the adventure begans

Slept in a little late this morning seeing as all I had remaning to do was close up the 5th wheel turn off the power and water ( its what I call home now) and be at Allens by early afternoon. Bud was leaving Pittsburg early am and should be at Allens around 4:00. I got to Allens about 2:00 and he and I pondered over a few last details. I ended up leaving a few items we decided non esentials as he was carrying the same items if needed. We went over the first days route and decided I would lead us up to the lake james , linville gourge area and he would take over from there. I have spent many, many days riding the backroads and single lane in this area and had several good routes in mind to get us to the first section of gravel that would lead us up the west side of the gourge and dump us out at the parkway in linville. From there we would run several other gravel sections that would eventually bring us to the NC -Tenn state line near Watagua Lake. Bud arrived right on time. We talked a little as we unloaded his bike and gear as he and I had not previously meet. Later that evening we rode into Lincolnton to a Bar-B-Que joint and had a nice dinner as we got to know each other and discussed the trip a little more in detail. Back at Allens we all turned in early as Bud had been on the road since early morning and Allen was also tired.
We were all up by 6:30 having coffey. We were packed and on the road about 8, stopped at Bojangles for a breakfast sandwich. I led us out and up thru and around South Mt. State Park as the trip begain. In less than 60 miles we would be in the gravel.

q

augiedog screwed with this post 02-14-2014 at 11:03 PM
Old 05-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
harryhammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Thumb tat

ok augie, give us the story, and more pics, are you still on the road? hope all is good, see you back in charlotte for pizza and a cold one wish i was there
harryhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
augiedog OP
augie dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhammer View Post
ok augie, give us the story, and more pics, are you still on the road? hope all is good, see you back in charlotte for pizza and a cold one wish i was there
just got home. i am trying to get my ducks together and git this thang posted.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Subscribed

heck yeah! some CLT guys doing a TAT trip. I'm in

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
augiedog OP
augie dog

1st full day, 1st gravel

Got into the first section of gravel around 10:00. stopped for the first few pictures in the previous post. somewhere on the 2nd or third gravel section we came upon a fedex truck winding up a long steep narrow gravel road. we follow him quiet a ways before he up and stopped in the road to open a gate. after opening it he walked back to me and Bud and said" ya'll know this road don't go thru , you should turn around and go back down. It gits really bad up younder past that last house' ain't no way you gonna make it thru. soon as he got back in the truck we proceeded on up and over the hill. about a 100 yards down the now single track sat Allen waiting on us and lookin down a really nasty rutted section. it looked pretty bad but after a group assement we all agreed it was doable as long as we didn't have to come back up. it was rutted 3 or 4 feet deep and you had to stay on the side in a few places where the rut were still full of really slick mud. some how we all made it thru with a few stumbles, but no one went down. guess we showed that fedex dude a thing or three. after moving on down the trail it got better and we ran into a road crew rebuilding the road back toward the bad section we came down. it was still so narrow and rutted we had to wait for the man in the track-hoe to build a place for us to squeeze by the construction equipment. a few miles later we hit good gravel again and soon after stopped under an old abandoned store awning to eat some lunch. saw a lot of riders and bikes from ricks rally in Mt City Tenn. several stopped and were lost trying to git back to their camp sites at rally headquarters. Had some rain off and on several times. it work out good as it helped with the dust and never got real bad. we arrived at Bens place around 4:00 where we would spend our first nite. start of really nasty rutted section . pictures don't do it justice

augiedog screwed with this post 02-14-2014 at 11:08 PM
Old 06-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
SuedeGopher
Target

Oddometer: 45
Lovin the pics and the write-up, Augie!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,247
I'm about a year out from my TAT trip so I'm watching and learning. Isn't retirement GREAT?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog View Post
just got home. i am trying to get my ducks together and git this thang posted.
Augiedog, glad to hear you made it back in one piece. Can't wait to see the adventure!

Take care, I.
Mongle is online now   Reply With Quote