Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 04:46 AM   #16
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
I don't like this, but in general, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Let's face it - wrestling really isn't that popular with the general public. But to get rid of it to keep modern pentathlon? C'mon now.

Popular is all relative, and your assessment of its popularity is not even correct. Is it as popular in the US, as the "major" sports? Overall no. However, in many parts of the world.....and the Olympics is where the youth of the WORLD are to gather...it is MORE popular than those sports that would be considered "mainstream". In many ways, it and track/field mirror each other. Almost no one, outside of a few areas, in this country attends Track events. However in Europe it is a professional sport, with the best track and field competitors earning millions of dollars. Same is true for wrestling. Even Hockey has until very recently been considered a "regional" sport in the US, and outside of a few nations, realitively speaking, it is not contested at all. There are over TWO HUNDRED nations that have competed in the Olympics in wrestling. It is one of the few sports where a realitively small country, such as Iran, can compete evenly with the larger nations. Or compare it to motorcycle racing. Once again, you will find that it and wrestling, in terms of worldwide popularity, closely mirror each other. Very popular overseas, but not so much in the States. What if the FIA suddenly said that after next year there would be no world championship, no MotoGp or WSB, held? What do you think would be the backlash from that? Yet 99% of Americans would not even notice, or care.

What most who do not follow the sport don't understand is that the Olympics has for decades and decades been considered THE world championship for this sport. You win the Olympics and you are considered the best. I attended the wrestling compition in Atlanta, and I can't tell you how many "world champion" winning wrestler I saw lose, some by big scores! Even though there are world championships held every year, winning at the Olympics is still considered the ultimate test, the ultimate challenge, and the one that wins there is the "best of the best". IMO it is a travesty of justice to have that taken away at this point in its history. It diminishes the games themselves and exposes the power to be as the corrupt, money hungry individuals there are. It is they that have lost the "Olympic ideal". Their decision on this matter will not reflect the value of wrestling, but will instead, expose the depth of their understanding of what it means to be an "Olympian".
patmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 AM   #17
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Greco

I believe the next meeting to discuss & "finalize" the recommendation is in Sept in Argentina. But it would be great if it were in Russia.

Also most the countries that voted wrestling out suck @ it, so no surprise there. I'm hoping that the outrage over this gets it reversed.

I live in the Lehigh Valley in Pa & wrestling is King here on par with football.

I'm lucky to be 10 minutes from Lehigh University to catch the matches. Big high school matches here can get up to 5k in attendance.

Forza Wrestling

Sent from celly via Tapatalk 2
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #18
patmo
Studly Adventurer

I think the way it goes is.....

This was the EXCUTIVE committee recommendation to eliminate wrestling, instead of another sport

NEXT, the IOC meets in Russia and will decide which 3 sports of the 7 mentioned, to be considered for inclusion in the 2020 games.....wrestling may still be one of those 3, but it is not guaranteed.

The complete members assembly will meet in Argentina and decide which of the 3 to include. Only 1 will be chosen.

So, the FINAL vote is in SA, but the semi-finals are in Russia. I would expect wrestling to be included in the 3 finalists, but it will take some work to overcome the lobbies of the other sports.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #19
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Good article from local paper

http://www.mcall.com/sports/columnis...1637758.column

Welcome to Pa Wrestling

Its called a Cement Job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRB6m4VdeJQ
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
Greco

I believe the next meeting to discuss & "finalize" the recommendation is in Sept in Argentina. But it would be great if it were in Russia.

Also most the countries that voted wrestling out suck @ it, so no surprise there. I'm hoping that the outrage over this gets it reversed.

I live in the Lehigh Valley in Pa & wrestling is King here on par with football.

I'm lucky to be 10 minutes from Lehigh University to catch the matches. Big high school matches here can get up to 5k in attendance.

Forza Wrestling

Sent from celly via Tapatalk 2
The recent Penn St v Iowa dual was over 15k. They were selling standing room only tickets. Iowa has a true freshman 197lb'er that was my son's team mate and close buddy. They started wrestling together when they were about 5 or 6 years old and graduated high school together. The closest thing to another brother is a training partner.

While wrestling may not have the nationwide appeal of hoops or football, in pockets of the the US, it is THE sport. In certain countries around the world, it is the only sport. It is also the most diverse in terms of medals won. Unlike basketball where the same 3 or 4 teams win every medal, every Olympics.

Someone mentioned the importance of the Olympics to a wrestler vs say....a golfer, a tennis player, or even a soccer (futbol) player. To any of those athletes, the Olympics is just another meet or just another tournament. Would Tiger, Phil, or Rory rather win a gold medal or a green jacket? How about the Williams sisters or Roger Federer? Would they rather win an Olympic gold or a Wimbeldon title?

To wrestlers, it is the pinnacle of the sport. For 4 years you are the baddest on the planet in your weight class. In any other sport, you are just the best athlete that week. At least the Ravens can call themselves the best for at least a few months.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #21
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Don't worry kids - I'll get it back...

I just sent Jacques "where's my money beaches" Rogge and email

(side note my buddy Big A is the Worlds Biggest Cockblocker)

Jacques

I make this easy on you, get wrestling back into the 2020 games & forever going forward, or else I'll send Big A Cockblock to bang all your women.

See that was easy.

The Rhino has Spoken!

His email

jacques.rogge@ioc.olympic.org

Go get em...

Good reads from Flo

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/...the-Inside-Out

And NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013...313.html?_r=2&
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post
Popular is all relative, and your assessment of its popularity is not even correct. Is it as popular in the US, as the "major" sports? Overall no. However, in many parts of the world.....and the Olympics is where the youth of the WORLD are to gather...it is MORE popular than those sports that would be considered "mainstream". In many ways, it and track/field mirror each other. Almost no one, outside of a few areas, in this country attends Track events. However in Europe it is a professional sport, with the best track and field competitors earning millions of dollars. Same is true for wrestling
it is more popular other places. and yes, a lot of people like it. it's still not that popular in terms of people watching it- tv ratings are lower than a lot of the other 'major' sports in the olympics, and they host it in relatively small venues - for example, in the london olympics, looks like there was seating for 5000-10000 people for the wrestling venue vs almost 20k for the london aquatic center, 20k for gymnastics, 80k for track, 20k for volleyball. even the velopark could seat almost 6k people.

you could argue that the smaller venues simply reflect that the organizers don't recognize the popularity of the sport, but that isn't reflected in the tickets- wrestling is a relatively easy, and cheap ticket to get compared to other sports, with tickets available after many others were gone, with the greco roman finals going for 56 (compared to around 500 for others)!

i like wrestling, and would like to see it stay in the olympics. but turns out watching sweaty guys roll on mats is not a real popular spectator sport, even in the olympics.

Quote:
It is they that have lost the "Olympic ideal". Their decision on this matter will not reflect the value of wrestling, but will instead, expose the depth of their understanding of what it means to be an "Olympian".
the olympic ideal has never been as ideal (in the modern olympics) as most people think it is.
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #23
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Why Wrestling

This is Why

As a Jersey Boy

I Say Stand UP & Be Counted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoxUr...layer_embedded

Wrestling MUST Stay in the Olympics!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #24
patmo
Studly Adventurer

I think it was stated before that out of a possible 116,000 tickets avaliable in London, they sold 113,000.

The USA women's national soccer team ( I am a huge fan of them, truly ) played in Nashville, Tn last night vs Scotland....the attendence was a record for them in the state of Tennessee. They pulled in a little over 14,000 at the Titans Stadium. For comparison purposes, I once attended a wrestling match in Ohio at St. Johns Arena, on the campus of OSU. It was the Russian national team vs an American All-star team. It was watched by 17,000.

It is still my contention that the decision to include a sport in the Olympics should NOT be decided by which sports pull in the best TV audience, or attract the best corporate sponsors. IMO it shouldn't even be a consideration.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #25
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
FILA brought this on themselves

Any of y'all watch the wrestling broadcasts from the London Olympics? I tried, then turned it off. The current FILA rules have diminished the sport to push-me-pull-you-ball-grab. An occasional match featured a great throw, but by and large it was boring stuff.

I'm thinking that the Russian's are going to be the key to keeping the sport in the Olympics. They've got the passion for it and some big-money supporters and are upcoming hosts so they will have a forum.

Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy folkstyle wrestling at the National Duals finals coming up in MN next weekend. All of the top NCAA D-1 teams will be there. Well, all the top teams except for Penn State with Cael "take my ball and stay home" Sanderson, the noted proponent of the sport.

Powershouse screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 01:29 PM
Powershouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #26
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
Good reading

Here's a link to a wonderful read on the US Olympic Trials from 1960-1988 by James Moffatt. Interesting to hear, in the wrestlers own words, what being an Olympian meant to them.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,838
Quote:
The USA women's national soccer team ( I am a huge fan of them, truly ) played in Nashville, Tn last night vs Scotland....the attendence was a record for them in the state of Tennessee. They pulled in a little over 14,000 at the Titans Stadium. For comparison purposes, I once attended a wrestling match in Ohio at St. Johns Arena, on the campus of OSU. It was the Russian national team vs an American All-star team. It was watched by 17,000.
To be fair, the US Women's team drew 18,000 in Jacksonville just four days earlier, playing a friendly against the same opponent.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #28
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,898
Quote:
I think it was stated before that out of a possible 116,000 tickets avaliable in London, they sold 113,000.
yeah, and wrestling tix were apparently easy and cheap to get. that says a lot.

Quote:
comparing to women's soccer (which i also like) is practically admitting defeat!

Quote:
It is still my contention that the decision to include a sport in the Olympics should NOT be decided by which sports pull in the best TV audience, or attract the best corporate sponsors. IMO it shouldn't even be a consideration.
that's a nice thought i guess. i happen to think that having sports people care about is probably a good thing (which would also be why i would nix the modern pentathlon). what WOULD you base the consideration on?
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 963
Pound Sand, your intel is incorrect. The wrestling venue sold every ticket available for the wrestling events (and then some) and there were waiting lines to get in. This info is from Craig Sesker of USA Wrestling media relations. USA Wrestling is just up the street, I have contacts there. Your ticket was not for each round, it was for the tournament. Probably could have split the tickets up a little better, I'll grant you that.

The reason it looked like there were seats available on the telecasts, was that the countries that had athletes in the tournament were not always in their seats. Their athletes were warming up with their partners, coaches, etc. in another area of the arena. Also, most of the matches shown on TV were medal rounds. Once an athlete is eliminated, they and their fans didn't always stay to watch the guy they just lost to go on and win the medal they have trained for all their lives. I get that.

I'l grant you that greco has turned into a "wait for the ball grab" event and hope they draw your color. The freestyle wrestling was very entertaining throughout, although some of the more evenly matched athletes wrestled more defensively in the medal rounds than they had earlier in the tournament. Due to the nature of the draw and the way the brackets play out, some of the most entertaining wrestling happened in the rounds leading up to the finals.

Most of the weights were 32 man brackets and they are seeded by a blind draw at weigh ins. You draw a number and that corresponds to a place on the bracket. You may be the 2 best guys in the weight and wrestle each other in the first round. The loser is automatically eliminated unless your opponent makes it to the gold medal match. Then you are drawn back into the repechage or consolation bracket where you wrestle for a bronze medal, 2 actually. Each half of the bracket has its own repechage and the winner of that gets a bronze.

The more I am finding out as the week goes on, this was more of a "you gotta pay to play" scenario than anything else. The IOC saw that wrestling was most popular in the wealthier nations in the world. Iran, Saudi, China, India, US, Japan, etc. The IOC isn't getting any kickbacks from the wrestling community like it is from the ping pong federation and the dressage people. The IOC is only looking to get their pockets filled, nothing more.

Look what has happened in the past few days. Those countries where wrestling is most popular and that have all the money are now taking up collections to present to the IOC in order to pursuade (grease the palms of) the IOC members - all 15 of them - to allow wrestling back into the Games.

I really hope that FILA and the rest of the wrestling world can bring to light the corruption of the IOC. Wishful thinking, but I hope it happens.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #30
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post

that's a nice thought i guess. i happen to think that having sports people care about is probably a good thing (which would also be why i would nix the modern pentathlon). what WOULD you base the consideration on?

Well, historical significance for one thing. Number of different countries that participate for another. Worldwide the popularity, as judged by numbers that participate....not the number that watch, for another. I am sure with time I could think of more. But TV viewership would not be one of them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: