Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Moving to Antofagasta, Chile for 8 or so months... anyone there?

Hola amigos,

I am a 24 year old Belgian/USA mechanical engineer currently in Temuco, Chile. I recently got a contract job at a desalinization plant in Antofagasta, Chile, which I am looking forward to (not much pay, but a great learning opportunity for me). I've been in Chile 2 months. Before that I was working/volunteering 3 months in Bolivia and 2.5 months in Peru.

2 weeks ago I just finished riding from Temuco to Ushuaia and back on my KLR 650 (photos: Flickr: Kevin Machtelinckx's Photostream). I am now deciding whether to sell it here in Temuco or bring it up to Antofagasta. If there are other riders up there, I'd be more willing to bring it up and get some riding in on my free time.

So... anyone from ADV up in Antofagasta? Always keen to get to know some people.

Saludos!

Kevin
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,460
If it's Chilean registered bike, keep it. Lot's of places to ride, San Pedro to the east, lot's of riders go there. and along the coast towards Taltal is pretty.
As far as Antofagasta, if you've been there you know there isn't much to say except for, dust and wind!

If it's a tourist import bike that's going to be more complicated.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
If it's Chilean registered bike, keep it. Lot's of places to ride, San Pedro to the east, lot's of riders go there. and along the coast towards Taltal is pretty.
As far as Antofagasta, if you've been there you know there isn't much to say except for, dust and wind!

If it's a tourist import bike that's going to be more complicated.

Nope, it's a Chilean bike. Looks like I'll be riding it up there from Temuco as they want me there by next week. 2,000 km of the ruta 5. Woo! Anyone on the way up have any tent space for a dude with just a moto, mattress and sleeping bag?

I passed through Antofagasta, and I've talked to a lot of people here about what they think about it. I am fully preparing myself for dust and nothingness. It's only 8 months to a year and a good opportunity for me to learn and keep developing my Spanish. It'll look good on my CV at the very least.

I am looking forward to riding to San Pedro and also the surrounding observatories. Should be interesting.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,974
Antofagasta? Youre a lucky dude. Do you have any idea how close you are to the most epic riding in Bolivia and the rest of the altiplano? I would live there in a heartbeat.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
ChileGS
ChileGSer

Oddometer: 41
When are you heading up?
Over the weekend?

I am riding down to my apt on the beach near Santo Domingo probably in a few hours, latest early Sat AM, and if you want to get off Hwy 5 for a while and spend a night there you are welcome to come and swap lies about motorcycles, KLRs, Chile, etc.

I have ridden Temuco to Santo Domingo without ever going on the panamericana.

Lived in Belgium for 3 years many, many years ago, mech engineer, came to Chile for a 10 month job. That was in 97 and Im still here.

99 1100GS in Chile
2009 KLR 650 in Vancouver
ChileGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileGS View Post
When are you heading up?
Over the weekend?

I am riding down to my apt on the beach near Santo Domingo probably in a few hours, latest early Sat AM, and if you want to get off Hwy 5 for a while and spend a night there you are welcome to come and swap lies about motorcycles, KLRs, Chile, etc.

I have ridden Temuco to Santo Domingo without ever going on the panamericana.

Lived in Belgium for 3 years many, many years ago, mech engineer, came to Chile for a 10 month job. That was in 97 and Im still here.

99 1100GS in Chile
2009 KLR 650 in Vancouver

I'm leaving Sunday morning to try to be there on Wednesday. I'm assuming you are only staying for the weekend. I'm probably going to try to just get it over with (the 2.000km) while not riding too long on the boring carretera. The earlier I get into Antofagasta, the better, as I have a good amount of stuff to prepare, so sticking close to the Ruta 5 is probably a better idea at this point. I certainly appreciate the offer. Hope I can return the offer once I get settled up there.

I am looking forward to the altiplano. I spent a lot of time in the Bolivian altiplano and for that, I am excited to explore it on a bike. Would be great to find a riding buddy. The vastness of the altiplano isn't something I want to mess around with...

By the way, can anyone tell me if I will have any problems renewing my Permiso de Circulacion and seguro this March, since I bought the bike in Temuco but now am moving to Antofagasta? What is the process for renewing this Permiso?

Cheers
Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
ChileGS
ChileGSer

It shouldnt be a problem. They have loosened the rules that you need to be resident in an area to renew there.

But to circumvent any problem. if you have something showing that you are employed or resident in Antofogasta there will be no questions asked.

Starting March 1 the municipaltiy will set up little booths.

To renew you need your Rev Tecnica and emission gas check to be up to date.
If so, go to the booth with all of your papers (Rev Tec, emission gas and your ownership paper and old permiso from Temuco) and first buy the obligatory seguros and then the updated permiso de circulacion.

Go early in the month and early in the day.
Towards the end of the month there are killer lines.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileGS View Post
It shouldnt be a problem. They have loosened the rules that you need to be resident in an area to renew there.

But to circumvent any problem. if you have something showing that you are employed or resident in Antofogasta there will be no questions asked.

Starting March 1 the municipaltiy will set up little booths.

To renew you need your Rev Tecnica and emission gas check to be up to date.
If so, go to the booth with all of your papers (Rev Tec, emission gas and your ownership paper and old permiso from Temuco) and first buy the obligatory seguros and then the updated permiso de circulacion.

Go early in the month and early in the day.
Towards the end of the month there are killer lines.
Great info, thanks.

Also, shit. This means I need to get a new padron, doesn't it... (since my domicilio has changed)? I just got my padron a week ago after jumping through a ton of hoops and waiting far too long to get it. Chilean bureaucracy man...
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
ChileGS
ChileGSer

Changing your address on the PADRON IS VERY SIMPLE COMPARED TO GETTING THE FIRST ORIGINAL.

Just go to the Registro Civil in Antofogasta when you know the address and I think it is even free of charge.

And its possible that you dont actually have to have this done when you go to get the new permiso. I know they make you sign a form that you are changing the municipality to which you have the vehicle registered but i vaguely remember once doing it first for the permiso and after for the Padron.

But if you have been in Chile for a while you already know the rules change depending on who you talk to, where you are and what day of the week it is.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,319
I spent a couple days in Antofagasta and actually liked it quite a bit. Granted we happened to ride right into the middle of the Miss Antofagasta pageant a couple weeks after the Dakar had passed through and while the country was still in the grips of Dakar fever and being a dirty foreigner on a dirty bike was all it took to get you on local TV draped in Miss Antofagasta hopefuls.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,460
You can break up the trip in La Serena which is a pretty nice little city. Several cheap hostels and a good Kawasaki dealer which actually seems to have a decent stock of KLR parts.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
You can break up the trip in La Serena which is a pretty nice little city. Several cheap hostels and a good Kawasaki dealer which actually seems to have a decent stock of KLR parts.

Yea I was thinking of maybe La Serena. My rear sprocket is shot so maybe I'll pick a new one up there. My chain and front sprocket are still somewhat new so I hope they'll fit with the new sprocket.

But I've got to ask... I wonder if buying a new sprocket in the states and having it shipped (out of the box to avoid import taxes) would still be cheaper than buying it in Chile....
Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bum View Post
Yea I was thinking of maybe La Serena. My rear sprocket is shot so maybe I'll pick a new one up there. My chain and front sprocket are still somewhat new so I hope they'll fit with the new sprocket.

But I've got to ask... I wonder if buying a new sprocket in the states and having it shipped (out of the box to avoid import taxes) would still be cheaper than buying it in Chile....
I know that I bought some KTM parts in Temuco and they were about 20 to 30% more than in the states. Just taking stuff out of the box does not mean that it will be immune to customs duty, BTDT.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote