User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
touring with a superduke - am I crazy?

First off I am of firm belief that you can tour on anything with wheels and a motor. So tell me I'm not completely crazy...

My sabbatical has started and this spring I plan to mosey around Eastern Canada and USA for a few months. This is the first real long distance trip I've taken on a bike so I am a complete newb. Over the years I've taken a few week long trips but never got the luggage and packing aspect figured out. A tank bag and a bungied backpack always sufficed although far from ideal. The last trip was 10 days on a yamaha wr250x. Although we tried to stick to the backroads as much as possible, riding with the bigger bikes I struggled to keep up, passing with a headwind was dicey. I recall heading up a beautiful mountain pass with some sweepers opening up in front of me, thinking "hell yea, time to open it up" and realizing I was already in passing gear and tapped out at 65mph. That was enough to swear me off that ride.

Fast forward to last fall and I was itching for a new bike. I don't know why I ended up with the 07 superduke but it seemed to tick all the right boxes at the time. Exotic, different, v-twin, looks great, and handlebars. Now I've been looking into some luggage solutions and getting a little discouraged. From what I gather there has not been a lot of experimentation or proven setups on this bike. I'm looking for some advice in this regard, I have a ktm tank bag and a medium size tail pack, but not sure what to look for in soft panniers. The good thing is I have CF slipons which should give me a little wiggle room with the mounting, but I don't have any welding skills or desire to fabricate a rack for this thing.

I'd appreciate any tips from people who have toured on this beast. Obviously it is not ideal, but a part of me thinks it would be fun. The other part is telling me to trade it in for a 990 adv, but that's another can of beans. I do plan to do a little bit of light offroading, limited to well graded gravel/double track. Is this beyond the SD capabilities? I have a bit of offroad experience and aside from the bellypan/ground clearance, I think it would be doable if I used some common sense.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,128
Not my cup of tea, but whatever floats your boat. Here's a guy who toured A LOT on a Ducati Monster: http://www.amazon.com/Riding-Rilke-R.../dp/0393330745 Would I do that? Heeeeeell no, but that's just me.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
No pne, you are not crazy. Some Diver Dans think you have to this and have that, but as you say, if its got a motor and wheels, then off you go. If you like the bike, then ride it.
When things shit themselves, those incidents turn out to be highlights of the trip, with the fondest memories. It might not seem like that at the time, but time has a habit of smoothing the rough edges.
I rode my Suzuki Intruder from Australia to Europe against the advice of many arm chair experts. I had a few sticky spots, but they are now treasured memories.

Get on your bike,
Mark.
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
First off I am of firm belief that you can tour on anything with wheels and a motor. So tell me I'm not completely crazy...

Your idea is not even remotely "crazy". Personally I'd rather go touring on a bike
like the Super Duke than a lot of bikes which are designed for touring. And a bit
of mild off road should be no problem as long as you respect the limitations
of the bike and you are strong enough to pick the bike up by yourself if it falls over
and you are without assistance. I have picked up my 950 SE by myself and my back
hurt for a while afterward.

Check out Wolfman and Kriega soft luggage. Also, KTM itself sold racks and bags
for your bike in the Hard Parts catalog. I have some and they are ok but the Kriega
stuff is worlds better. I am a fan of the Kriega stuff because I find the design and
workmanship to be better than pretty much anything else I have seen.

If I were in your position I'd jump at the chance to do such a ride. I'd make sure the
bike was fully insured against total loss due to theft or accident ( make sure you
will be covered in the country which is not your own ) and I might also consider mounting
a Lojack theft recovery device, and then I'd ride.

It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
T-Mac
orange

Oddometer: 43
This http://www.superduke.net/forum/ shall be your new home. Enjoy!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
perfect bike for the Dragon. http://www.tailofthedragonmaps.com
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #7
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
it's an all-purpose bike in my book. i clock a few 100km's in day without feeling sore.
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 581
I did roughly 1600 miles in a week on an R1, not the best to do it on but when you hit some good twisties the superbike really shines.

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/stor...&po=432&pc=969
SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,771
I bought a Giant Loop bag for my RC8 and fully intend to tour on it this summer. I'd check it out. Made by an inmate here, Wachs. He's got a thread down in the Vendors section.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
River6822
Fat kid on a 950 SE

Oddometer: 351
Superduke Touring

If you like to be on it, Ride it.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808437
1993 Harley Café Project
River6822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,388
I've toured on a 954rr with a superbike bar conversion kit. I loved it! Go get a giant loop great basin to snug down behind you and you have the perfect bag setup. Soft saddlebags can't compare to the ease, durability and comfort of the Great Basin for touring.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,093
use a tank bag to get some extra wind protection. I use the KTM one.

I rode my SDR from so cal to utah and colorado. some of the best roads in southern utah and wester colorado.

PS: get a radiator shield/screen. a rock started a small leak in my radiator in AZ/UT. luckily it didn't over heat and I was able to barleak it.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
Go for it. I've done plenty of long distance touring on a Ducati Monster, which is functionally pretty similar to the SuperDuke. I've gone simple, using a generic big magnetic tankbag for the bulk of the cargo, bungees on a bedroll on the passenger seat, and a backpack loaded with the light stuff -- mostly clothes. I recently scored a set of hardbags for it, but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (233,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
jas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I made this though I have yet to try it. I also done 500 plus mile days on this bike in reasonable comfort. Never been offroad with it, I would hate to scratch it. That's what my DRZ 400 is for
jas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
I tour on my Tuono almost exclusively these days, despite the fact I have a mega-farkled Sprint 955 ST with full Race-Tech suspension rebuild.

Fact is, the Sprint is downright boring compared to the Tuono, isn't really THAT much more comfortable slabbing unless it's steady-state riding over 140kph, and is actually a lot more uncomfortable on the technical twisty bits and in the city.

Sure, I sometimes miss having the locking topbox and hard panniers while on the Tuono, and the range constrains me a bit (150ish nervous miles vs an easy 220+ on the Sprint), but it does everything else just fine, mostly thanks to the inclusion of the excellent Ventura luggage system. Heated grips, a Sargent seat, a Zumo 660 and a small tank bag finish it off.

Last year I put over 10,000 miles on the Tuono touring, including a back-to-back pair of 2500 mile two-week trips, 400 miles/day on average, camping most nights. Felt great at the end of the day, and on my last day of my last trip I did 700 miles and was fully functional once I got off the bike.

To make the camping work, I did have to downsize my roomy 2-person MEC tent to a much more compact MSR Hubba, so I could fit all my shelter/sleeping/cooking gear in the small 30L Ventura Delta bag.

The rear Spada bag is actually the "light" one, with clothes, a 2L water bladder, food, and a pair of 1L MSR fuel bottles inside. The system is great in that it allows you to lane split easily, and the weight isn't noticable, nor does it cause too many problems in cross-winds, and it comes off the bike in seconds. You basically don't know it's there when riding.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote