Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 322
Holy Hell I was there a few years ago and had no idea!

Looks like I'm headed back

-Jake
Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
i hope you visit KEY WEST before leaving Florida. no place like it.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
i hope you visit KEY WEST before leaving Florida. no place like it.
Many, many years ago it was.
Today, it's just another tourist crap spot - open wallet, get boozed, get a T, etc.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #19
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
From cannonshot's map it looks like it is close to the Mexican Hat rock.

12 to 15 miles close.

Mexican Hat Rock is just northeast of the town of Mexican Hat.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #20
TassieMark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
I promised a photo, but I'm slack, and I haven't mastered this photo sharing business. But I did indeed get to Monument Valley, and had a very enjoyable stay thanks to the generosity and kindness of JJ Headshrinker of Kayenta. Moki Dugway and Valley Of The Gods was just fantastic. I'm sure that as my memory fades to black, ths trip will linger longest.
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieMark View Post
I promised a photo, but I'm slack, and I haven't mastered this photo sharing business. But I did indeed get to Monument Valley, and had a very enjoyable stay thanks to the generosity and kindness of JJ Headshrinker of Kayenta. Moki Dugway and Valley Of The Gods was just fantastic. I'm sure that as my memory fades to black, ths trip will linger longest.
How good/bad is the road in Valley of the Gods? I'm heading that way in two weeks, and was curious about the condition of the road.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #22
TassieMark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
How good/bad is the road in Valley of the Gods? I'm heading that way in two weeks, and was curious about the condition of the road.
Hi Mr Gone,

for a gravel road, it was in very good condition. I ride a Guzzi 1200 Sport and it was no trouble at all. Here is a photo.
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/2542342/
Regards,
Mark
Old 05-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #23
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Many, many years ago it was.
Today, it's just another tourist crap spot - open wallet, get boozed, get a T, etc.
You don't have to spend all your time on Duval St.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #24
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Hi Mr Gone,

for a gravel road, it was in very good condition. I ride a Guzzi 1200 Sport and it was no trouble at all. Here is a photo.
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/2542342/
Regards,
Mark
Fantastic photo!!!

Thanks for the response. I'm assuming that you could average 15-20 miles per hour?

I might just have to add that to my route.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
TassieMark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Fantastic photo!!!

Thanks for the response. I'm assuming that you could average 15-20 miles per hour?

I might just have to add that to my route.
Hi Mr Gone,

it was one of the highlights of my trip. Valley of the Gods is aptly named as it does have a spiritual feel about, and I'm not really that way inclined. Please don't be in a hurry, stop and feel the vibe. Also do the brown bits on Cannonshot's map, (earlier in this tread ) to Goose Necks and that dead end road, I forget the name, at the top of Moki Dugway thats gives you a grand view over the whole region, and its all free.

Cheers,
Mark.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Hi Mr Gone,

it was one of the highlights of my trip. Valley of the Gods is aptly named as it does have a spiritual feel about, and I'm not really that way inclined. Please don't be in a hurry, stop and feel the vibe. Also do the brown bits on Cannonshot's map, (earlier in this tread ) to Goose Necks and that dead end road, I forget the name, at the top of Moki Dugway thats gives you a grand view over the whole region, and its all free.

Cheers,
Mark.
I keep trying to squeeze in every great destination on my trip (leaving in 15 days, which means I am in serious countdown mode). I believe I can ride Valley of the Gods, which should only add a couple hours, total, to my trip, but I need to hit Shiprock before sunset and so that doesn't leave me a heck of a lot of time.

So, unfortunately, I don't think I can do Moki Dugway and the overlook at the end of Mulie Point Road. Although I'd really love to, it will have to wait for another trip. Which is a great excuse for another trip, don't you think?

I am managing to squeeze in a brief stop at Goosenecks, though. Trying to slam 4,000 miles and 10 national parks into 11 days is a brutal logistical nightmare, but I'm gonna give it a go.

Thanks for the advice. If I find myself running ahead of schedule, I will definitely try to do Moki Dugway.

Mr_Gone screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 11:48 AM
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #27
HeadShrinker
Lost for a Reason

Oddometer: 1,407
Trust me, Mr Gone, it'll only add an hour total (if that) to go up Moki and see Mulley. You can add the time by twisting the throttle more than usual. Easy to do on the Rez roads to Shiprock.

Trust me and Mark--it's must see if you're doing VOG.

Have a great trip!

Oh, and hi Mark!
HeadShrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #28
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadShrinker View Post
Trust me, Mr Gone, it'll only add an hour total (if that) to go up Moki and see Mulley. You can add the time by twisting the throttle more than usual. Easy to do on the Rez roads to Shiprock.

Trust me and Mark--it's must see if you're doing VOG.

Have a great trip!

Oh, and hi Mark!
Okay, okay... you've convinced me.

I do have another question: by "twisting the throttle more than usual" on the rez roads (like 160 and 64), is that because they're great roads, or there's no speed enforcement? Because I have an FJR that will comfortably cruise at 120 mph all day long with no problem. I just usually keep it around 70 so any speeding tickets don't land me in jail.

By the way, I absolutely appreciate the advice!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #29
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
You don't have to spend all your time on Duval St.
very true. never go there except for new years eve party. between kayaking, riding bicycles, kite surfing, snorkeling, we're pretty worn out when Duval gets going. I did trailer my bike down once...big mistake as there are no place to ride other than us1.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #30
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
very true. never go there except for new years eve party. between kayaking, riding bicycles, kite surfing, snorkeling, we're pretty worn out when Duval gets going. I did trailer my bike down once...big mistake as there are no place to ride other than us1.
Yeah, where you gonna ride in Key West ? You don't need a bike down there. all you need is your feet; I usually rent a scooter for one day. I like walking around the neighborhoods and looking at some of the interesting architecture. After 3-4 days I'm ready to move on. I rode down there last October, took my time. I rode from Biloxi to Gainesville, to Naples, then to, Florida City. Next day ( Sunday) I rode on down to KW. This worked out great as I was able to take it easy and see some stuff I wanted to see on the trip down. When I got there I parked the bike and walked everywhere except one day when I rented a scooter. When I left I rode home in two days; KW to Gainesville and Gainesville to Biloxi. Nice trip and I'm ready to do it again.