ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
pinocono OP
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 317
Lane sharing bill introduced

With the recent media coverage of the CHP's "guidelines on lane sharing, it seemed inevitable that a lane sharing bill would be introduced, and it has.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/po...B&author=beall

I know most of you don't have much love for ABATE, but their lobbyist will try to make sure that favorable language gets put in to the bill. As it stands, it's pretty vague.

Dave
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 921
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861434

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 396
if it ain't broke donut fix it what a waist of time and money next is a law for kids to wear helmets wile riding bicycles
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Spank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidewayes View Post
next is a law for kids to wear helmets wile riding bicycles
There's already been a law for that for years here in Cali.

My SPOT

Spank screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 10:24 PM
Spank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,024
As I read it, it will essentially ban the practice except on freeways of three or more lanes.

I expect the CHP will step in and help get rid of it as they have in the past when people have pulled crap like this. But don't count on them; contact your own representatives and tell them you do not support the legislation at all... screw changing the wording, just get it gone.

Anybody in or near Sacramento -- find out when this thing goes to committee. When it does, you can show up in person and testify for or against it. The more support you can show, the better. The goal is to get it killed in committee, then it'll never go any farther.

Edit: Of course the sponsoring senator (Beall) is a liberal. The bill introduced in Oregon to LEGALIZE lane splitting (SB541) was submitted by a conservative.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,805
even if they pass it, good luck enforcing it. It's just like every other law on the books - it's pointless until you actually enforce it.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
As I read it, it will essentially ban the practice except on freeways of three or more lanes.

I expect the CHP will step in and help get rid of it as they have in the past when people have pulled crap like this. But don't count on them; contact your own representatives and tell them you do not support the legislation at all... screw changing the wording, just get it gone.

Anybody in or near Sacramento -- find out when this thing goes to committee. When it does, you can show up in person and testify for or against it. The more support you can show, the better. The goal is to get it killed in committee, then it'll never go any farther.

Edit: Of course the sponsoring senator (Beall) is a liberal. The bill introduced in Oregon to LEGALIZE lane splitting (SB541) was submitted by a conservative.

Rob
A lot of people read it that way, but many folks read it to actually specifically apply the stated conditions in cases of three or more lanes. I think it's an attempt on Beall's part to address the complaints from drivers of "he came out of nowhere going 90 miles per hour" on the freeway. More thoughts here.

I spoke to a staffer in his office Friday who said he wasn't qualified to answer my questions about the bill - specifically the three lane thing - but he promised to have someone call me back.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,397
A *very* optimistic reading of the bill is that the restrictions only apply when splitting is conducted on a 3-lane road. I doubt that is what the author intended to say.

We must, as a community, fight this bill. If passed, it would kill 90% of the utility of lane sharing, namely in-city riding. I don't want to waste my life sitting in traffic sucking down exhaust fumes if I don't have to.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
pinocono OP
Husky Dü

The Senator's office has already indicated that they are more than willing to amend the language in the bill, including the number of lanes. Senator Beale is pro-motorcycle, not anti.

We will need to be patient, as this bill is not a priority (to the legislators), and likeky won't be heard for a few months.

Personally, I'd rather not see any legislation, but can see that there may be benefit to having a favorable law on the books. It could be more difficult to make lane sharing illegal if there is a law specifically stating that it is legal.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinocono View Post
The Senator's office has already indicated that they are more than willing to amend the language in the bill, including the number of lanes. Senator Beale is pro-motorcycle, not anti.

We will need to be patient, as this bill is not a priority (to the legislators), and likeky won't be heard for a few months.

Personally, I'd rather not see any legislation, but can see that there may be benefit to having a favorable law on the books. It could be more difficult to make lane sharing illegal if there is a law specifically stating that it is legal.
That's a relief. I would strongly suggest they reword it to mimic what CHP has published in their guidelines. That way nobody can come along and try to change that.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
This would be the first step in making lane sharing restricted if not illegal. Since lane sharing is not currently defined in the law as being illegal, it is legal. Current law allows for an officer to issue citations if lane sharing is done in an unsafe manor, i.e. reckless driving, unsafe lane change, etc.

This bill would place specific restrictions on lane sharing except when done under certain conditions. IMO, without specific language to broaden the conditions under which sharing is legal, better to see this bill die in committee.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
This would be the first step in making lane sharing restricted if not illegal. Since lane sharing is not currently defined in the law as being illegal, it is legal. Current law allows for an officer to issue citations if lane sharing is done in an unsafe manor, i.e. reckless driving, unsafe lane change, etc.

This bill would place specific restrictions on lane sharing except when done under certain conditions. IMO, without specific language to broaden the conditions under which sharing is legal, better to see this bill die in committee.
Thank you, That's what I was trying to say
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
pinocono OP
Husky Dü

The AMA is claiming that Senator Beall will be withdrawing the bill:

The sponsor of a California Senate bill that would have restricted the current practice of lane-splitting by motorcyclists will withdraw the bill from consideration.
Lane-splitting by motorcyclists in California is recognized by the California Highway Patrol and helps ease traffic flow.
An aide to state Sen. Jim Beall (D-San Jose), who sponsored S.B. 350, confirmed in an email to the AMA Tuesday afternoon that the bill would be withdrawn, pending the results of a University of California-Berkeley safety study expected later this year. The bill, introduced Feb. 20, would have allowed lane-splitting only in certain instances: on divided highways with three or more lanes of travel in the same direction, only when traffic is congested and only at "a safe" speed.
Nick Haris, AMA western states representative, noted that lane-splitting has been an accepted custom and necessary strategy to ease traffic congestion in California for years. He noted that Beall's bill proposed a sudden and significant shift in traffic management strategies in the state with respect to motorcycles, which could have had a serious impact on traffic flow.
"We are pleased that Sen. Beall's office is withdrawing the bill, but we remain watchful of any legislative action on lane-splitting that could penalize motorcyclists," Haris said. "Lane-splitting has been done safely in California for decades, so there is really no need to impose new restrictions, especially given the guidelines just released by the California Highway Patrol that make no mention of a three-lane minimum."
According to the California Highway Patrol, lane-splitting occurs when a motorcyclist rides between lanes of stopped or slower-moving traffic or moves between lanes to the front of stopped traffic. The convention is recognized as a benefit to urban traffic flow because it allows motorcycles to make maximum use of roadways when traffic is stopped or significantly slowed. The controlled flow of motorcyclists through stopped traffic also permits more space for other road users.
"Lane-splitting by motorcyclists, when done correctly, helps improve traffic flow for everyone on the road," Haris said. "That helps everybody save time, gas and hassles, and promotes safer roads by mitigating traffic backups. It's important that we work to preserve lane-splitting for the benefit of everyone on the road."
Old 02-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
pinocono OP
Husky Dü

The AMA may have jumped the gun:

Per the Senator's staff -- Contrary to the AMA's announcement, SB350 has not been withdrawn, rather it's now a 2-year bill. This means that while it may be possible that the bill is heard in April (April is the deadline for submission to the Senate Trans Cmt for all policy making bills); the likelihood is that it won't be heard by Committee until next January 2014.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #15
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
i wish the govt would stop messing with shit
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote