User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,893
Paris bike stuff ( and, food of course)

I'll be there in a few days. Priority is really food, so I don't really know why I'm even posting this

Any great bike shops I should check out? That is, in between the bread, cheese and macarons I'll take some recommendations on those as well.

We're (me & mrs. levain) staying in the Bastille if that matters. Oh, and if you have an "in" at the Poilane manufactory in Bievres, hook a Boulanger up please. I'd love to see it, but they don't do tours... Boulangerie recommendations are also appreciated.

Cheers
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,360
The most memorable restaurant in Paris, and I can't remember the name.

It was right across from a subway terminal (aren't they all), and had a bunch of copper pots hanging in the window. The ravioli had the best saffron sauce (or any sauce for that matter) I've ever had. You could see little burnt shavings of saffron. I may have a picture of it at home that will jog my memory, but don't count on it. I'll look tonight.

The other really memorable thing I saw was the catacombs. You can walk about a mile underground through abandoned limestone mines where human remains are still stored. Creepy and interesting at the same time.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,360
OK, I think I have the restaurant:

Chez Clement
407 rue Vaugirard
75015 Paris, France
01 53 68 94 00

http://www.chezclement.com/

I can't read the online menu, so I'm not sure which is the saffron ravioli dish I had. It may have been the Ravioles du Dauphine. They probably had an English menu when I was there. We did make every effort to use French wherever we went, which resulted in a warm and welcoming Paris. Those in our group who insisted on English somehow managed to have the opposite experience.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
OK, I think I have the restaurant:

Chez Clement
407 rue Vaugirard
75015 Paris, France
01 53 68 94 00

http://www.chezclement.com/

I can't read the online menu, so I'm not sure which is the saffron ravioli dish I had. It may have been the Ravioles du Dauphine. They probably had an English menu when I was there. We did make every effort to use French wherever we went, which resulted in a warm and welcoming Paris. Those in our group who insisted on English somehow managed to have the opposite experience.
Thanks for that. We just might check it out!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,598
There's a few bike dealers around Bastile but the main area is on avenue de la Granda Armee (metro Argentine).

As for food ...

Chartier; a little touristy but an essential experience to sample lunch in this 19th century bouillon

Aux Lyonais; a touch expensive but excellent quality

Bistro des Deux Theatres; great value, good quality, fixed-priced cuisine

Sanine; super value for lunch (check out the oldest chocolate shop in Paris across the street)

Domaine de Lentillac; best duck in Paris without paying Tour d'Argent prices in fact, everything on the menu is duck!

Cafe de la Paix; but just for afternoon tea including a slice of millefeuille

Gandhi Ji's Garden; the only good curry house in Paris (the French don't like 'spicy' so if you do, ask for it when you order)

Le Boeuf sur le Toit; outstanding 1920's art deco brasserie

Bofinger Traditional Parisian brasserie

As for a boulangerie, any "artisan boulanger" where they make it on site will be fantastic.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Honda repair in Paris?

I need to arrange some service: engine oil and fork oil change,new brake rotors and pads front and rear installed in Paris. 2003 Honda Varadero 1000XL. Any good recommendations? Need not be a dealer, just good work for an honest price.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote