Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Aldorean OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
First trip noob questions ! ( NORWAY )

Hello adventure people,

I`m Michael 30 years old and i`m going on my first road trip this late spring.

Now since i`m a very VERY insecure guy i want to challenge myself and throw myself in the deep not planning anny places to sleep or eat or what so ever.

The questions atm :

What do you people advise as route navigation ? i`m thinking about buying a Garmin 660LM but if you people say a mobile phone ( i`m getting the newest HTC one in 3 weeks ) is good enough i`m in to listen why.

How do you people think about what to pack ?
I`m doing it on a V-Strom 650 with a original Suzuki suitcase set and have room on the passenger side for bags. How many clothes do you take with you normally ?

I`m planning to go there for 2 to max 3 weeks is that to long for a first time ?

What kind of tires do you people have on your bikes when roadtripping because i`m thinking about Heidenau but i dont know if they are realy tarmac friendly or not ?

TY for the answer pre-hand and i`m looking forward to see the discussion open up.

P.S. anny advice on a good tent for a *not yet advanced camperboy* ( never pitched a tent myself unless you have a dirty mind )

Greetings Michael.
Aldorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Buy a good tent. Most liky you will run into rain:) i have a Vango Thempest and its small enough for 1 person camping and keeps the water out.
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,866
A map.

2 x shirts, 4 x pants, 1 x trousers, 2 x socks, 1 x fleece.

Metzeler Tourance.

My tip; take lots of money.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,451
If you're really that insecure, do a few one-two nighters to get the hang of things. Agree with Wildman on good maps, but I'd do four shirts and two pants. GPS is a back-up in case your map flies away but don't use it for route planning because you'll become a slave to it and you'll want to be spontaneous about where you go. Any make of tire will do as long as they're in good nick. Rain gear is an essential, keeps you dry and will also help staying warm. Camping is another story altogether. Stay in hyttes or cheap hotels until you understand camping.

RTLover screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 06:03 AM
RTLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Norway?
Lots, lots of money (and credit card is a must, you can't get gas without it at some places, and to pay toll when needed) .
Camping in spring in Norway?
I wouldn't, get a "hytte" you need a heating in the night.
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by francs View Post
Norway?
Lots, lots of money (and credit card is a must, you can't get gas without it at some places, and to pay toll when needed) .
Camping in spring in Norway?
I wouldn't, get a "hytte" you need a heating in the night.
Hehe its not realy that cold already we are above frezing at nights. Late spring should mean atleast 8-10c at nights. Last year april and may was the best months we had that year.
Creditcard is nice but only places you need it to get gas is at the unatended petrol stations. Dont think i ever saw a toll road i could not pay with cash. Motorbikes normaly dont pay toll anyway.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
hensmen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Hello Michael,
first just take a map, ore you will miss the nice roads, instead a new tent. Best to build up is a Salewa Mark II, aluminium instead fiberglas, one part system, packs very small.
The tyres are not important on your bike, beside they have to be new, cause off the tarmak. Take a Trangia for cooking, good weather clothing and boots for hicking. Don`t forget pictures and perhaps, when your german is good, take the "Felbinger" travelbook, has very good advices and nearly all camping grounds. Take something with you for fishing.
Hans,
Sorry no advice for clothing, most off the time it is too much, you can do washing on the camping.
If it is too cold, ferry Bergen Newcastle and back, nice alternative to return.
Never forget to climb the Prekestolen. Hans in south germany
hensmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensmen View Post
Hello Michael,
first just take a map, ore you will miss the nice roads, instead a new tent. Best to build up is a Salewa Mark II, aluminium instead fiberglas, one part system, packs very small.
The tyres are not important on your bike, beside they have to be new, cause off the tarmak. Take a Trangia for cooking, good weather clothing and boots for hicking. Don`t forget pictures and perhaps, when your german is good, take the "Felbinger" travelbook, has very good advices and nearly all camping grounds. Take something with you for fishing.
Hans,
Sorry no advice for clothing, most off the time it is too much, you can do washing on the camping.
If it is too cold, ferry Bergen Newcastle and back, nice alternative to return.
Never forget to climb the Prekestolen. Hans in south germany
There is no ferry from Norway to UK any more. Not for a few years :(
If you want to ride on gravel roads you will need to do some planning as they can be hard to find.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #9
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTh View Post
Hehe its not realy that cold already we are above frezing at nights. Late spring should mean atleast 8-10c at nights. Last year april and may was the best months we had that year.
Creditcard is nice but only places you need it to get gas is at the unatended petrol stations. Dont think i ever saw a toll road i could not pay with cash. Motorbikes normaly dont pay toll anyway.
Yes, if it don't rain. On a "panoramic" road the credit card was only way to pay toll.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #10
hensmen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Hello Johnny, can`t believe it, the missing ferry, cause the boat from Bergen to Newcastle helped me from the freecing rain in late september to the smoothe one on the green island.
Beside, Michael there is a very good site, concerning traveling with small luggage from "Svendura", nice pictures and well written.
http://svendura.de/alle_reiseberichte.html
One good thing in Norway, you can buy all things you have forgotten.
Have a nice trip, Hans
hensmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by francs View Post
Yes, if it don't rain. On a "panoramic" road the credit card was only way to pay toll.
Only rains if its not cold maybe its only norwegians that think like that. Im a all year camper so maybe i dont see the problems. But do buy a good thent, one that keeps the rain out.

Was that panoramic road private?
Old 03-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
MariusB
Gonnabe adventurer

Oddometer: 4
Hi, Michael!
What parts of the country have you planned to see?
I really think you should visit the vest coast. Lots of nice places, fjords, mountains - has it all!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:13 AM   #13
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTh View Post
Only rains if its not cold maybe its only norwegians that think like that. Im a all year camper so maybe i dont see the problems. But do buy a good thent, one that keeps the rain out.

Was that panoramic road private?
Probably, I had perfect weather, only one day of rain, but that day temperature droped to 4C (end of june) .
Don't know if it was private, we went one way and returned through tunel.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 428
Lots of good advise here already.

Do a test run and camp somewhere for at least one night, so you'll see what you need / don't need. The last 'cheap' chance to buy gear would be in Germany, f.e. you'll be passing by the HQ of globetrotter.de in Hamburg. Last chance for afforable beer, too.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

I agree totaly on doing a test camp on one or even better two nights. 4C or less is no problem if your tent, sleepingbag and sleeping pad is good enough. Put some money into the sleeping pad and get a good one. If your pad is to thin you loose a lot of body heat to the ground. The sleeping bag dont give much insulation to the ground. When i camp during winter i have thick pad i use on snow and use the same sleeping bag.