Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
meijer's trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
anyone used earthX, Antigravity or Pulse1 lithium Ferrous batteries in a KTM?

Hi guys, have any of you tried some of the other lithium ferrous batteries out there now?
any experiences with earthX or antigravity

i like amazon because i can often get free shipping, so there Antigravity and earthX available on amazon.

which size of these do you think an 08 ktm 250 xcf-w with electric start and light, and possibly adding a fan, would need
earthX etx6a or earthx etx12a

how about antigravity
4 cell 8 cell or 12 cell?

the Pulse1 as advertised in Ryan Dungey's bikes looks like the awesomest one, but most expensive.

thoughts?

thanks
meijer's trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
road_donkey
not really into it..

Oddometer: 34
Just bought an Antigravity YTZ10S-12 for my KTM 690E...so far so good...lots of cranking power for the size. Time will tell if it stands up to abuse. With any of these I believe proper charging and cell balancing is the key to having a long lasting battery. May want to look into a charger to go with it as well...
Old 02-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,870
Thumb

I have bought 3 lithium batteries for 3 different bikes from Herrhelmet over the last 3 years, it's his business.
Contact him and he'll set you up, I'm sure.
Good guy and good products, the latest one I bought went in my Triumph. The weight savings on these over a conventional wet battery is astonishing.

His sig line: Lithium Batteries and battery products 10% Off coupon GOLD13 "Your bike is too heavy" www.motolithium.com TWITTER
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
I don't care what brand it says on the outside. What matters is what brand it says on the inside. As far as I know, if it isn't genuine A123 Racing cells (18650), it isn't worth much.

I just build my own. A123 18650 cells are about $8-$12 a piece, or a bit more for the higher capacity ones.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Not a KTM, but a 250cc too

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1950

4 cells A123 ANR26650 Lithium Ion http://www.a123systems.com/lithium-i...rical-cell.htm

So far happy with it

L
Old 02-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
meijer's trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the responses guys!
I'm not sure if I'm up to building my own. Cell balancing sounds important....don't even know what that is.
I have to research whether they use a123. I'll post when I find out.
Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
I've had a Antigravity 8 cell in my 688 for over a year now, I love it and wouldn't trade it for another. No problems!! A 4 cell should be plenty for your 250....
Old 02-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,081
lithium

I have not but I have a braille lithium battery in my ktm 690 endure. Have not had a problem with it in over two years.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
meijer's trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow, the heavy hitters are pitching in!! Thanks CA stu!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by meijer's trails View Post
Wow, the heavy hitters are pitching in!! Thanks CA stu!
De nada!

And as far as "make your own", I subscribe to the "You could shove your head up a cow's ass, but why not take the butcher's word for it?" school of thought.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
How you did that? Any chance on posting a tutorial on how to build your own A123?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDctiyUa9E

L
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,103
I've got a TurnTech in a Husaberg (close to a KTM, heh). Works great!

http://www.turntechbattery.com/TurnT...y/Welcome.html
Old 02-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
that video is using 26650 cells .. unless you are very experienced at soldering cylindrical li-ion batteries. would not recommend soldering.. too high risk of damaging cells. spot welding is how ALL LiFePO4 mfg assemble their batteries with cylindrical cells. spot welding only exposes cell to heat for a fraction of a second.

also not a fan of LiFePO4 batteries with external leads ... unless you hook up specific HD connectors .. too high risk of shorting out positive side, possibly causing a fire.

notice battery in above video is arranged in a series/parallel configuration without balance leads and/or BMS. danger is when/if one cell fails, other cells in parallel will attempt to charge lower voltage stack.

Earth-X like most mfg inflate their actual amp hour capacity. but tested Earth-X ETX 24 has delivered solid 200 amp cranking performance!

another huge advantage with Earth-X LiFePO4 batteries .. they all come equipped with an internal BMS or battery management system. this means cells are internally balanced, so most any automotive charger without de-sulfate mode can be used.

visit my LiFePO4 battery testing thread for more details ... which has the most technical data on LiFePO4 motorcycle batteries on the WWW... link in sig

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 12:20 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
De nada!

And as far as "make your own", I subscribe to the "You could shove your head up a cow's ass, but why not take the butcher's word for it?" school of thought.

I butcher my own meat also; don't trust butchers anymore than jewelers or used cars salesman.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #15
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I have tested the crap out of Antigravity batteries, go to this thread if you like to read a lot, look at graphs and watch videos http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770364

If you don't like to read a lot, the Antigravity batteries passed all my tests with flying colors, absolutely crushed Shorai, as well as outperforming AGM's from DEKA and Yuasa.

Since starting that thread and conducting all the tests, I brought Antigravity batteries into my dealership and have yet to see a single unit fail.

I JUST got in an earthX battery and have just begun testing it the same as all previous batteries and so far, I LIKE them, but it will be a while before I recommend for or against them.

I have never heard of Pulse1, but may check into them.

Although I am currently a motorcycle dealer service manager, I used to be a licensed industrial electrician and have been obsessed with batteries since I was a small child :)

Any of the earthX and Antigravity sizes you listed will start your bike, but the Antigravity 8 or 12 cell and earthX 12 will give you more head room for colder temperatures and longer stronger cranking if your KTM gets sickly some day.

EDIT: Looked up Pulse, American made LiFePO4 cells made in America, that can only be A123 cells which are the same as Antigravity uses and are indeed very good cells.

A surprising number of LiFePO4 powersports batteries on the market are NOT waterproof and therefore totally unsuitable for adventure riders that do water crossings. Antigravity and earthX don't fill with water when I sink them in my bathtub, no idea about the Pulse 1, 2, and 3, but something to watch out for.

An initial reaction, Full spectrum who makes the pulse batteries has a bunch of fluff on their website so what you are likely paying more for is them giving batteries to racers so they can say "if you just buy this battery like such and such you will win races and get lots of easy sex!" I like manufactures that have detailed and honest Q&A on their websites as well as specs that aren't ridiculously inflated. At first glance, Full spectrum has some specs that are full of crap, advertise like Shorai and Amsoil, and probably make a battery thats as high quality as Antigravity but for a higher price.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.

JoelWisman screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 02:23 AM
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote