ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
donmoto OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Native American Reservation Riders in Arizona

Is riding big on the rez? I was supposed to do a one month stint of collaborative research on the Leech Lake Reservation in May with David Treuer, author of "Rez Life," but my university cancelled it. In place of that research, I was thinking about researching riding on reservations, specifically in Arizona. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing, or if it's a topic worth exploring? All the anthropology professors I've asked, along with Treuer, said something along the lines of, that's really interesting, but I have no idea. I'd really appreciate all the advice I can get, even if it's, "that's a miserable idea."
donmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,074
History

Back in the final days of the horse culture there was this fellow named Custer that had the same idea,"Let's ride across the rez and see what happens"-------I'm sure that you remember him a the lead advertiser for Arrow Shirts

Wandering off on Native Lands is not a good idea unless you are willing to spend time with BIA,Tribal Councils, Native Law enforcement,and a cast of thousands to acquire permission & there is no guarantee of safe passage that will help you get to where you want to go.

Yes you can legally traverse native lands on federal,state county & BIA roads other than that ------- Good Luck

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,925
I don't even know why they call it Custer's last stand.

He was laying face down in the dirt last I recall.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,074
He was laying face down in the dirt last I recall. [/QUOTE]

With no ear drums so that he might better hear the words of the people & the Great Spirit

Lessons to be learned here, even today leaders don't listen to the people

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,454
I ride the Res often. I stay on the main BIA roads. I often talk to the local people & have always had a positive experience. In my 72 years on this planet, 50 of which spent riding motorcycles respect for the rights of others has taken me far, & served me well.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
donmoto OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
I ride the Res often. I stay on the main BIA roads. I often talk to the local people & have always had a positive experience. In my 72 years on this planet, 50 of which spent riding motorcycles respect for the rights of others has taken me far, & served me well.
From your experience, is there a riding culture on the rez? I would be riding as part of my undergrad research - my contacts in academia, even those who are Native American themselves (albeit from other reservations) can't confirm nor deny the presence of a motorcycling and more specifically a dirt/adventuring culture on the Rez. Sure I'd love to do a few weeks of riding in az for the sake of, but it's the riding culture I'd be researching.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

No riding culture on the Res. by it's residents I have ever observed, but can in no way confirm it doesn't exist.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
donmoto OP
Adventurer

AZ Tom you definitely have a point, but without some sort of evidence this topic is going to be a tough one for me to get approved by the Anthro department as a valid research topic. If you see anything though, don't hesitate to let me know! I can always do some informal research that can lead to something bigger.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Will do.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #10
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,194
Get me some research money and Tom and I will ride the Navajo Rez for a couple of weeks then report back. Promise.

There was a native inmate (female?) that posted a couple of nice indian country ride reports. My search-fu is weak so I'll never find them again.

-dod
Old 02-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,718
abqcookie?

Here?

And here?

Not had a problem the few times I've ridden the dirt on tribal lands. I make sure I know the rules and have the permits when required.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #12
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
abqcookie?

Here?

And here?

Not had a problem the few times I've ridden the dirt on tribal lands. I make sure I know the rules and have the permits when required.

ADV Rider & it's inmates, the best.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #13
750Volts!
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
I have quite a few friends that are Dine. None of them ride but there seems to be an admiration for the "free" lifestyle that is associated with the riding. I have, on many occasions, met people that were very interested in my/our bikes. I have even come across small villages where we have been greeted by people selling jewelery and other trinkets. Most of the time they just want to sell their wares, but every once and a while, they seem as interested in our bikes and the story of our journey as making a few bucks. I have run into a few Natives that rode and they were always on Harleys.
As far as riding on the res, I have found that in the valley, there is a huge difference between tribes. The Fort McDowell res seems to be very inviting. I have even gone to the Police Station to ensure the routes we were taking were okay. They have never said no. The Salt River Pima res have signs everywhere stating to stay off of their land, as does the Sacaton Gila Res. Some of us have been greeted by LEO on these Reservations. They don't really seem to be okay with anything that looks like a dirt bike. Back when I had a Harley I could ride right by LEO on these Res' and they didn't blink an eye. My Amigo Ricardo was tracked down out by Sacaton and given a stern warning that they could take his bike and introduce him to his new room if he came back.
All in all, I think it is as all cultures are. You get the respect you give. If you roll in acting like you own the place, you probably deserve what you get. If you roll into town and buy a drink, smile, and wave back to those that wave, you will be well received.
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
donmoto OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
Get me some research money and Tom and I will ride the Navajo Rez for a couple of weeks then report back. Promise.

There was a native inmate (female?) that posted a couple of nice indian country ride reports. My search-fu is weak so I'll never find them again.

-dod
HAHA let me see if USC will wire you a couple g's over paypal
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #15
donmoto OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
abqcookie?

Here?

And here?

awesome this is the sort of thing I was looking for thanks!