User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
rangecon1976 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Pirelli mt43

Ok guys I wore out a Michelin t63 on the TAT from Ten. to Ok.. And it's time for a new rear tire I have been hearing a lot of praise for the DOT trials Pirellii mt43 and I am intrigued but curious how it will do on a xr650l with fully loaded saddlebags and gear plus a 250 lb rider? It just seems that with that much weight I need a tire that would require a little more psi, not the recommended 10-14 for the Pirelli .

Lets here the opinions, and real world experiences!

Thanks ahead of time,

Dave

"I feel like a mosquito in a nudist camp, I know what I gotta do, I'm just not quite sure where to get started"!!
rangecon1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
bcliff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I'm on my 2nd MT43 and am a fan of the tire. I ride a KLX250S about 60/40 road to dirt. My bike is smaller and I'm lighter (185) but the tread life of my first tire was impressive at 2500 miles. The tire sticks to everything...gravel, sand, stumps, rocks, wet road, etc. It is ok in the shallow mud but does make me nervous in the deep thick stuff. I would say that is its biggest and only weakness.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
I've ran an IRC trials tire on my 650R, it lasted 2k miles, that's way longer than a tire usually lasts. I run an MT43 on my WR450 and it's holding up well.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
I really like it. When the luggage is full and doing a highway stretch, I bump it up to 20-22psi with no adverse effects. The only thing odd I've noticed is that with a more square tread profile, I can kind of feel it roll over the tread block on pavement corners. I don''t see myself running any other tire for the foreseeable future.
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
had them on my last several bikes. currently on my gncc race bike(ktm 250) and my dual sport(husaberg 450) awesome tire. works really well on almost anything, better in mud than everyone will tell you. Getting 2500 -3500 miles out of it on mixed terrain on my ds bikes. Im running mine at 4 PSI with tubliss setup.
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
I ran them on a 5000 mile roadtrip last fall and was happy with the performance of the rear. I lack an odometer but I suspect I get around 3500 miles on them. I replaced the rear at the halfway point in Moab and although looking a bit used it's still on the bike. I also run low 20's for highway use.

The original is still on the front and has over 7K on it to date with plenty left to go. Putting a loaded giant loop coyote on the back of an xr4 makes the high speed gravel cornering a little unconventional at best so it's hard to say the tire was no good but this spring I'm going to try something different up front.

mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
rangecon1976 OP
Adventurer

Wow great info guys thats exactly what I was hoping to hear? I think i am sold, just on more quick question how many of you use a rim-lock?? I have read several reviews where people use them I am just curious if it is a requirement?? I know it is so you dont let your throttle happy hand destroy your tube, but if you run a higher psi such as 18 and up I wonder if it is still needed?/

Thanks again
Dave

"I feel like a mosquito in a nudist camp, I know what I gotta do, I'm just not quite sure where to get started"!!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
bcliff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangecon1976 View Post
Wow great info guys thats exactly what I was hoping to hear? I think i am sold, just on more quick question how many of you use a rim-lock?? I have read several reviews where people use them I am just curious if it is a requirement?? I know it is so you dont let your throttle happy hand destroy your tube, but if you run a higher psi such as 18 and up I wonder if it is still needed?/

Thanks again
Dave
No rim lock for me but that is more of a function of the low torque of my KLX250
Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
My xr4 had one on it when I bought it and it takes a bunch of lead to balance it, whether or not I need it I have no idea.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
rangecon1976 OP
Adventurer

Thanks bcliff and mookybird

Old 02-15-2013, 04:43 AM   #11
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,973
Does the MT43 perform well on paved twisty bits? I like to rail the corners and good grip at full lean is a must for any dual sport tire for me. The square profile has me kind of .
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
Racer111v
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Does the MT43 perform well on paved twisty bits? I like to rail the corners and good grip at full lean is a must for any dual sport tire for me. The square profile has me kind of .
I have one on my DRZ400 and it is not a sport tire. I use it on longer road trips to get to good off road. It is civilized on the pavement, smoother and quieter than a knobby. In New England it is great on the rooty, rocky, single track. I use a Bridgestone m59 knobby on the front. This makes for safe handling package at near speed limits, but no hero speeds. Definitely no hard lean angles.
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
rangecon1976 OP
Adventurer

Hey racer111v thanks for the input, do you use a rim lock??

Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangecon1976 View Post

Thanks again
Dave
You need a rimlock. If you plan on keeping your pressure over 17psi you will negate the benefits of the Trials tire.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
I am interested in the MT43 as well. Are you guys running them in the front as well?
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote