User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Jeathrow Bowdean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Buyer bewear

Lots of people are looking to replace thier bikes this year, and I see that a few people that end up with used bikes that are a total disappointment when the new owner finds out that the motor burns oil, and the bottom end rod and crank bearings are shot !!!

Some of these bikes have been drowned in lakes and rivers, the wheel bearing are cooked and the folks selling them are crafty at fooling the un-werry buyer, so I thought that we should share the un-pleasant storys of bad deals that we have come across over the years.

I'll start this off with a post about the perfectly good motor story

From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada

Jeathrow Bowdean screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 05:28 PM
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Beware! Because I care. Carry on.
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Jeathrow Bowdean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A few years ago, I went to look at a bike that was in awesome condition as the add said. Buddy showed me the bike, and it was just as clean as could be. I looked it over form top to bottom, and this bike was spotless. he offered to let me ride it, so I did. I head to my cycle shop and with in 20 minuets we found that the piston ring was toast, and the bike had run out of oil at one time in its life.

The bottom end had a bad knock, and the best we could tell was that it might of been a rod bearing.
I talk to the fellow and listen what he was saying about him owning the bike from day one, but then he sliped up telling me that his buddy this and his buddy that whe he had the bike, I knew then that this bike deal was a scam.

He lead on that the bike did not burn oil even when I pulled the oil covered spark plug in front of him, and he got pretty nerves as I pulled a compression tester from my backpack and got a reading of much less then what the motor was suppose to have. Then the story change that the bike used a little bit of oil.
I asked him if he had a long screw driver so I could listen to the bottom end, and he was unaware of this trick that us old tool heads know.
With the screw driver in hand with my thumb over the end up to my ear of it, and the other end on the lower case I asked what the knock was!!! He was done founded that I picked up on his scam with the motor that had run out of oil.
I can still to this day see the look on his face that I found him out, and not only did I pick him out of the wood works, I picked out a hand full more that were just like him in the next following years.

My next used bike story will make you think twice about buying a used bike off of anyone !!!

From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Katze
Full Time Rider

Oddometer: 235
Buyer Be Bear...

There's all kinda plicks out there. It''s a tough world and there are no guarantees...'cept death.

No one's honest...no one cares. Eff him b4 he effs you! Don't give a sucker an even break. How do you know he's lying? His lips are moving.

So Be Bear. Eat berries, take a shit anywhere you want, and have a stinky fur coat. No one will mess with you!

I've prolly bought 20 used bikes over the years... I've be a little disappointed at times but never felt like i was totally burned....
Old 02-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
Always a good idea to bewear of those un-werry buyers who are done founded.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,090
^^^
Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
Jeathrow Bowdean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

As I honed my skills at picking out scamers, I grew awear that these people are getting crafty, so don't be scared to pull out all the stops at finding out if someone is pulling the wool over your eyes !!!

I started looking at used sleds, quads, and bikes and the numbers of bad deals started to pop up more then I wanted, so this is when I started to buy new only.
I went to look at a Honda ST 1100, and the seller would not let me ride it unless I paid him first, I knew that this wasn't going to happen, and it took me a long time to talk him into letting me listen to it run. He finally fired it up, and the pipes were blowing steam and moisture. it must of been 5 minuets before it quite, but when I would throttle it up it would blow steam again.
Buddy let me check the plugs thinking that I would not pick up on any problem, and he was shocked that one plug come out wet, but as we talk some more, he sliped up on what shop was doing his work overs. A quick phone call from my truck to the shop he was using told me that this bike had been in a few weeks earlier to see why it was blowing rad fluid from the system. The best they could tell was that it could of been a head gasket or a cracked head, but the owner told them not to worry about it because he was going to sell the bike anyways.

I felt bad thinking that some one with out the skills or know how would buy this bike and it would be a total disappointment. The worst part of the rad fluid thing is when it gets into the oil system, it contaminates the oil, and it is not good for the cam bearings or the rest of the motor for that fact. This was one dirty scam that buddy tried to pull, and I'm sure he got someone to fall for his rip off deal !!!

From Jeathrow Bowdean
Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
"Rar Rar, no one understands you she-bear!"
I told you I ain't a bear

Not a really funny story, but it is a story that's real about when I sold my old XR600:
The guy probably knew something was wrong when I dropped my price $200 over the phone and agreed to deliver it to him on the other side of Portland at 5pm. But he looked it over, test rode it around the block, gave me money and we signed the title.
"It's signed over, the money's in your pocket, deal is done, so (looks at bike with arms crossed) What's it really need?"
Somehow I had told him everything that had gone wrong on the bike without saying I'm tired of this piece of shit breaking down everywhere!
"Dude, If I knew what was going to break next, I'd replace that and keep the bike."
OrangeYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
You guys are hilarious! He does get the point across though. Maybe he has no spell check....
Old 02-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Jeathrow Bowdean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That is true. I wish that I did have spell check, but the old computer keeps on clicking. Ha Ha
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,363
I just hate to buy used for all those reasons brother.

An informed buyer can find great deals on hold overs, last year's models, etc., if willing to put in the search time and possibly travel to pick up what ever you seek. I don't like buying someone elses problems, repairs and modifications.

That being said, if it's something that's extinct, getting rare or hard to find, well-- then you have to work it out. A compression test a very good idea. Or like you did, arrange ahead to go right to a dealer. One of these days I want a Honda Pacific Coast and will face the quest.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Bored after 5 minuets? Were they horrible dancers?
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
Jeathrow Bowdean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My friend is good at pick out these problems that come up with used bikes, and it has saved many of the dudes from falling pray to bad deals that are out there. I hope that many of the ADV up and comers take note.

This could save them from fall into these scams !!!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
Katze
Full Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post
That is true. I wish that I did have spell check, but the old computer keeps on clicking. Ha Ha
Shoulda test typed that computer for spell check b4 you bought it!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
Katze
Full Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
bored after 5 minuets? Were they horrible dancers?