Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Jeathrow Bowdean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
When I watch some of the videos of unsuccessful motorcycle river crossing, it makes me think twice about buying a used bike off someone. Ha Ha.

There might be sea-weed in the air clearn !!!

The broken frame motorcycle is a bad purchase, " " " OH MY OH MY " " "
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
I saw a guy that had posted his late model bike for sale with pics. Half his pictures showed the bike "sleeping" and or rolling through water over the hubs. Yet he wanted retail $ for it yet....

I jabbed him a little about wanting top dollar for a bike that had seen some apparent "adventures" and he got all pissy and wanted me to delete my comments. And then he insisted that he stopped immediately after the creek bed and "re-packed" his bearings. I swear, some people are their own worst enemas.

I was simply pointing out the fact that his bike (in his own pictures) was laying on it's side in the gravel, and or up over it's hubs in a creek bed. I guess he thought someone would want his shiddy ass bike cause it had been his, and he was obviously COOL.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
Jeathrow Bowdean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The fellow with the pooched oil burning KLR really got screwed in my books, and this sucks goats milk. I can't believe so many people fall pray to this time after time. The used market is full of bad deals, and to put some light on it will make people that buy in the used market more aware I hope.

Someone needed to step this up a notch, so our fellow ADV dudes have an idea of these scams going down. I'm sure there are many on this forum that know this all to well, so by sharing this with them, it will give them the tools to buy smart !!!

from Jeathrow Bowdean.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post
The fellow with the pooched oil burning KLR really got screwed in my books, and this sucks goats milk. I can't believe so many people fall pray to this time after time. The used market is full of bad deals, and to put some light on it will make people that buy in the used market more aware I hope.

Someone needed to step this up a notch, so our fellow ADV dudes have an idea of these scams going down. I'm sure there are many on this forum that know this all to well, so by sharing this with them, it will give them the tools to buy smart !!!

from Jeathrow Bowdean.
Funny you mention that. I just saw a 2008 KLR 650 on Craigs-- for just $2900-.

The guy was honest and said right up front "burns a quart of oil in 300 miles". Probably a real "bug fogger"

I thought it was refreshing to see some honesty. Great bike for a 705 kit.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #20
Jeathrow Bowdean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes on that all right. Boat anchor bikes are out there. Sand, Rust, and Wheel bearings full of water. Leaking forks and broken frames till hells half acer. I seen some real junkers when I first started off at looking at used toys, but after awhile I started to get keen to this stuff going on.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #21
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

You realize, of course, that it may be only a narrow group of us that understand what your screen name means,
right brother?

Funny as hell.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #22
Jeathrow Bowdean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes I picked my name based on my quest to become a rocketship captin or a rodeo clown. I'm a lot like Forest Gump I guess. I was raised in the bush on the Eastern Slopes of the mountains, and I never got the chance to go to school like most folks.

I pick up most of my words from every day signs, and motorcycle, snowmobile, and quad magazines that I read. I keep working at it, and I most likely will never get my words down pat...

A fellow who come to live with us in the bush told me that I reminded him of a fellow that he seen on a TV show that he watched when he was a young fellow. He use to call me Jeathrow Bowdean ??? and I have never meet the dude, so the name stuck I guess.
My dad called me boy till I was in my teen years, then my mom picked a name for me before I went to work in the bush on my own. It seems that every one knows me by Jeathrow, so I desided not to change it. I know there is someone out there with my same name, but I don't mind being him or her in either case. Life is to short to worry about perfect, so I blend in where I can.

The old computer helps me learn new words, and I hope that I can fit in with you folks. Thanks for letting me thread and post away with you guys. It meens a lot that I have friends all around the world in a motorcycle sport that I truely love.

From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada
Old 02-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #23
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

I had a massive mental breakdown a couple years ago, .... hence the name "unstable rider".

My chums understand. You guys are my chums.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #24
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,176
yo jeathrow..... you gonna fix me up with that cute sister of yours?.....
davesupreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #25
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

wow..... raise the bar brother!

she got aged

Old 02-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Dave. Saw the ZRX in your profile. Do you know Dennis? GSXR1100
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #27
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Jeathrow, two ears, one mouth. There is a reason for this, you are supposed listen twice as much as you talk.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #28
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
wow..... raise the bar brother!

she got aged

Wow. I forgot her name. Did you see the movie Cinderella Man? That was partially about Max Baer Sr.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #29
Jeathrow Bowdean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, that meens a lot. I like chum. Ha Ha

A friend told me about a scam snowmobile deal that burnt a dealer ship, and I though if he could pull the wool over thier eyes, he could do this to anyone, so I avoided he shanaguns by staing away from people like this. It was one of those bad motor deals that the dealership did not pick up on till latter.

The bottom end rod bearins were shot, and the crank on sleds are press type cranks, so in stead of spending the money to fix it right, he trade it in, he parathin waxed the bearing to deaden the knock so they could take it for a few rides with out knowing about the issue. The daeler ship found out latter when the rod come off and punched a hole in the bottom of the block.

This was a total scam by someone I once knew as a friend, but stuff like this is not the way my Ma and Pop raised me, so that ended our friendship. He filled me in on many tricks that they did to unaware buyers over the years, and this was the reason that I stay clear of these people. They did 100's of un-fit cars to people all across North America from what folks have told me, and this is where they make the most of thier money !!!

From Jeathrow Bowdean
Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #30
Katze
Full Time Rider

Oddometer: 235
Jeathrow Knows Used Bikes