ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
guiri OP
Looking for a good home..
 
guiri's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Outside Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,073
Anyone in the Charlotte/Monroe, NC area EXPERIENCED with working on the Vee...

that would like to do some work to it for me against payment of course?

I CAN take it to the suzy shop but there are quite a few things I was going to have done to it
and it's prolly gonna cost a pretty penny to get it done there and needless to say, I'm looking
to save some money on this.

I DO believe in supporting my local dealers and itís a good thing to do for when you want to ask the occasional question but then, there IS the question of having the money.

I can pay cash or trade for stuff or my services. Whichever suits you better.
I have some Vee stuff if youíre interested.

Hereís what I need done:


1. Stator is not charging so that needs to be replaced and possibly rectifier and magnets.
2. Iím getting the modified Clutch basket to fix the chudder.
3. Putting on a Stebel Horn bracket and horn
4. Adding some rocker switches to the bike
5. Adding volt meter
6. Hook up the brake lights to the Givi E55 Maxia case.
7. Fix the leaking reservoir (coolant and someone suspected it was leaking at this T connection)
8. Hook up the Shorai Li-Ion charging cable so that itís outside and I donít have to remove the seat to charge it.
9. Hook up lights and relays for the extra lights so that theyíre ready to hook up
10. Replace levers because the ones I have now are a little far away for my fingers.
11. Replace grips with Grab On grips
12. Hook up a License plate LED
13. Disconnect the Park settingÖĒYou can cut the brown wire from the ignition switch and connect the bike side of the cut brown wire to the green wire.Ē
14. Disconnect the cruise control kit
15. On off switch for the headlights


Right now, the bike isnít charging the batteries at all and I literally canít go anywhere so Iím in a bit of a hurry to get this done. I had made some plans based on having the bike and this of course throws a huge monkey wrench in them.

Thanks

George

guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy
 
EvanADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Joplor, NC
Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post
that would like to do some work to it for me against payment of course?

I CAN take it to the suzy shop but there are quite a few things I was going to have done to it
and it's prolly gonna cost a pretty penny to get it done there and needless to say, I'm looking
to save some money on this.

I DO believe in supporting my local dealers and itís a good thing to do for when you want to ask the occasional question but then, there IS the question of having the money.

I can pay cash or trade for stuff or my services. Whichever suits you better.
I have some Vee stuff if youíre interested.

Hereís what I need done:


1. Stator is not charging so that needs to be replaced and possibly rectifier and magnets.
2. Iím getting the modified Clutch basket to fix the chudder.
3. Putting on a Stebel Horn bracket and horn
4. Adding some rocker switches to the bike
5. Adding volt meter
6. Hook up the brake lights to the Givi E55 Maxia case.
7. Fix the leaking reservoir (coolant and someone suspected it was leaking at this T connection)
8. Hook up the Shorai Li-Ion charging cable so that itís outside and I donít have to remove the seat to charge it.
9. Hook up lights and relays for the extra lights so that theyíre ready to hook up
10. Replace levers because the ones I have now are a little far away for my fingers.
11. Replace grips with Grab On grips
12. Hook up a License plate LED
13. Disconnect the Park settingÖĒYou can cut the brown wire from the ignition switch and connect the bike side of the cut brown wire to the green wire.Ē
14. Disconnect the cruise control kit
15. On off switch for the headlights


Right now, the bike isnít charging the batteries at all and I literally canít go anywhere so Iím in a bit of a hurry to get this done. I had made some plans based on having the bike and this of course throws a huge monkey wrench in them.

Thanks

George



I could do a good bit of that.
__________________
Current Steeds: '08 FJR1300 | '02 DR650
Former Steeds: '99 DR650 | '02 DR650 | '09 DL650 | '07 B1250
10 states left to ride: WI, MN, ND, SD, LA, UT, OK, KS, AK, and HI.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
guiri OP
Looking for a good home..
 
guiri's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Outside Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,073
PM sent
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #4
guiri OP
Looking for a good home..
 
guiri's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Outside Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,073
Anyone else. Sent a pm but haven't heard back yet so I'm still looking.

Thanks

GEorge
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
VStromNC
DNS/DNF
 
VStromNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Oddometer: 709
[QUOTE=guiri;20721018] that would like to do some work to it for me against payment of course?

I CAN take it to the suzy shop but there are quite a few things I was going to have done to it
and it's prolly gonna cost a pretty penny to get it done there and needless to say, I'm looking
to save some money on this.

I DO believe in supporting my local dealers and it’s a good thing to do for when you want to ask the occasional question but then, there IS the question of having the money.

I can pay cash or trade for stuff or my services. Whichever suits you better.
I have some Vee stuff if you’re interested.

Here’s what I need done:


1. Stator is not charging so that needs to be replaced and possibly rectifier and magnets.
2. I’m getting the modified Clutch basket to fix the chudder.
QUOTE]

Wow! that sucks dude. I know you just bought the bike. I guess that is one of the risk when you buy a bike sight unseen other than from photos and the seller opinion on condition.

Jon
__________________
09 KLX450R (Plated)
06 DL1000K6

VStromNC screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 06:05 AM
VStromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
guiri OP
Looking for a good home..
 
guiri's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Outside Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,073
Wouldn't have mattered and only way to find out would have been to ride it for days to see if it charged.
He also kept it on a tender so hey prolly didn't know.
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
truck6driver
The Fireman
 
truck6driver's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Hope Mills, N.C.
Oddometer: 6,712
I'm not really local but.......... I am familar with electrical wiring work. If you have the manual I can help with the stator and clutch as well.

If you wanted to ride to Fayetteville I would be willing to help out. I work for food and soda. (don't drink)


Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
guiri OP
Looking for a good home..
 
guiri's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Outside Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,073
Damn, I appreciate the hell outta the offer but I think I've found someone local but it won't be until NEXT weekend. :(

Thanks

George
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
VStromNC
DNS/DNF
 
VStromNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post
Wouldn't have mattered and only way to find out would have been to ride it for days to see if it charged.
He also kept it on a tender so hey prolly didn't know.
Just for info, I always heard that new lithium ion batteries were not suited for bikes which had constant drain such as the Vee since it has a clock and does impose a constant drain. Can't validate either way but that's what I always heard. When the battery on my bike went out, I bought a cheaper substitute (generic type) which lasted only about a year. I ended up replacing with another Yuasa same type and never had any more issues. Just like you, I do keep it on a battery tender.

Jon
__________________
09 KLX450R (Plated)
06 DL1000K6
VStromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
guiri OP
Looking for a good home..
 
guiri's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Outside Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,073
Jon, the previous owner kept it on a tender, not me which is one reason he prolly didn't know about this problem but I personally do NOT want to keep it on a tender for several reasons. Laziness being one of them, BUT, more than that, I think a damn MC battery should be able to sit without having to be babied or it ain't worth a shit but that's just me.

Good thing we didn't go for that ride, huh?
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
VStromNC
DNS/DNF
 
VStromNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post
Jon, the previous owner kept it on a tender, not me which is one reason he prolly didn't know about this problem but I personally do NOT want to keep it on a tender for several reasons. Laziness being one of them, BUT, more than that, I think a damn MC battery should be able to sit without having to be babied or it ain't worth a shit but that's just me.

Good thing we didn't go for that ride, huh?
I don't disagree but I keep both my KLX and DL on battery tenders. Yeah, it may seem like you are babying the batteries,,,, OK actually you are but for me, it's just one less thing to worry about on my precious riding days.. as I expect the damn bike to start when I am fully dressed, ready to ride!

Let's catchup on another day


Jon
__________________
09 KLX450R (Plated)
06 DL1000K6
VStromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
truck6driver
The Fireman
 
truck6driver's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Hope Mills, N.C.
Oddometer: 6,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post
Damn, I appreciate the hell outta the offer but I think I've found someone local but it won't be until NEXT weekend. :(

Thanks

George
OK Hope you get it straightened out.


Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
guiri OP
Looking for a good home..
 
guiri's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Outside Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,073
Catchup is better than mustard in my opinion even though I don't even like that but hey, I digress.

I agree with the bike being ready to ride but when you have the problem I have and you keep it on a tender, you take off riding and everything's well till you get to the point where your light has exhausted the battery 'cause your stator doesn't charge it AND you don't about the problem know 'cause you had it on a tender.

Now you're out there with no way to start the bike unless you find someone with jumper cables.
Well, that's all well and good but then you discover that your HID lights do NOT work if there's not enough
juice in the battery and now you have to limp home in the dark WITHOUT any lights at all, WHICH by the way I had to do with the Vee.

Apart from not seeing shit, there's a huge chance of getting busted by the po po and getting a fine or some points on your license or something.

Yeah, babying the batteries may be good but you don't know if there is a problem... :(

There IS a reason I'm getting an on off switch installed for the headlights while I'm having all the other stuff done.
I'm not going through this shit again.

Also, I'm in the process of starting to sell LED lights (extra lights) for bikes and trucks (including light bars) that I will be importing myself so I'm going to have a set of LED lights on a separate switch so that if this happens again, I can at least drive home with SOME light to hopefully avoid being stopped.

Hell, I have super powerful flashlights so I may even put a flashlight holder somewhere, JUST in case.
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
guiri OP
Looking for a good home..
 
guiri's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Outside Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
OK Hope you get it straightened out.


Ray
Thank you sir and again, thanks for the offer. I'm a near beer guy myself :)
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy
 
EvanADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Joplor, NC
Oddometer: 1,329
Sorry I never got back to you, PM box has been a little crazy since I put my bike up for sale.
__________________
Current Steeds: '08 FJR1300 | '02 DR650
Former Steeds: '99 DR650 | '02 DR650 | '09 DL650 | '07 B1250
10 states left to ride: WI, MN, ND, SD, LA, UT, OK, KS, AK, and HI.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014