User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #16
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,087
If you want Canon, pick up a used 5D MKII. The ergos alone are worth the extra over the 6D.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,192
Something else to consider is that supposedly (I dont have a full frame DSLR to verify this on) the full frame sensors are doing an excellent job of showing the shortcomings in all but the best glass.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #18
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,649
If you can in anyway swing it D800, seriously it blows the rest out of the water for your intended uses.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
runpasthefence OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
If you can in anyway swing it D800, seriously it blows the rest out of the water for your intended uses.
Talk to me about dynamic range. Why is it better on the D800, and what effect will it have on how I shoot and my final product?

I want to believe your last statement, I really do, but I'm just not really seeing any evidence that the D800 blows the competition away.
runpasthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #20
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by runpasthefence View Post
Talk to me about dynamic range. Why is it better on the D800, and what effect will it have on how I shoot and my final product?

I want to believe your last statement, I really do, but I'm just not really seeing any evidence that the D800 blows the competition away.
Check this out:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...(brand3)/Nikon

You get over 2 stops better dynamic range than either of the Canon cameras as well as a full stop better high ISO performance.

The extra dynamic range will help in getting a proper exposure for the ground and sky in a landscape.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #21
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

If you have unlimited money and are shooting for a living, you should consider every detail and minutia. If you're not...go touch and feel the cameras, play with the menus (the things in there you'll actually use), check prices, rent them if you can to play with and then decide.

You can't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned here so don't get caught up in the feature race. Be aware of the full frame vs crop and the lens issues, but beyond that you'll love the images any of these...or their predecessors will provide. Even a 10 yr old DSLR will shoot better than most P&S!

Good luck.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #22
runpasthefence OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Check this out:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...(brand3)/Nikon

You get over 2 stops better dynamic range than either of the Canon cameras as well as a full stop better high ISO performance.

The extra dynamic range will help in getting a proper exposure for the ground and sky in a landscape.
And that's why dxomark has lost credibility for me. In every test I've seen the 6D and 5DIII have been superior in high ISO performance. There seems to be over a 2 stop difference in what dxo assesses compared to what I've seen from image comparisons.

One example - http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...00_noise.shtml

I'm going to dig deeper into the dynamic range stuff. If I'm honest, I rarely shoot over an ISO of 1600 anyway. If I can evidence of a profound difference in dynamic rang, I may sway back to Nikon.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
runpasthefence OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
If you have unlimited money and are shooting for a living, you should consider every detail and minutia. If you're not...go touch and feel the cameras, play with the menus (the things in there you'll actually use), check prices, rent them if you can to play with and then decide.

You can't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned here so don't get caught up in the feature race. Be aware of the full frame vs crop and the lens issues, but beyond that you'll love the images any of these...or their predecessors will provide. Even a 10 yr old DSLR will shoot better than most P&S!

Good luck.
Indeed. It's a good problem to have. I'm well aware that any of these 4 cameras would make me quite happy, and they will all produce nearly the same image. But it is a big purchase, and one I'll likely live with for many years, so I'll be taking my time and considering all factors.

I was able to play with a relative's Mark III. I've considered renting a D800 for a day. I might just do that this weekend.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #24
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Indeed. It's a good problem to have. I'm well aware that any of these 4 cameras would make me quite happy, and they will all produce nearly the same image. But it is a big purchase, and one I'll likely live with for many years, so I'll be taking my time and considering all factors.

I was able to play with a relative's Mark III. I've considered renting a D800 for a day. I might just do that this weekend.
Don't be afraid to buy used or a refurb. I do it and use them for pay with zero issues so far (10 years plus)

photo on the net is a great Canon resource for classifieds.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #25
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloryII View Post
Do you shoot in RAW or JPEG?

I made a similar hard choice recently about full-frame or not despite having the funds available for the higher end. But I was intellectually honest with myself and understood that 90%+ of my images would be JPEGs.
both at same time if your camera allows ..my ancient Nikon D2H allows raw and jpg. both or one at different resolutions.

most times I'm shooting with a lowly Sony Cybershot at VGA resolution for web shots. where it's all about ease of uploading pic's. quality of image doesn't always relate to size of file.

most monitors cannot display much more than VGA resolution anyways...

this was shot with Sony Cybershot at VGA resolution (BMW R90S Cockpit w/7300 miles)

taken with Nikon D2H .. from low resolution jpg ... helps that R90S is one of the most beautiful bikes ever made...

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 01:21 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #26
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,400
Quote:
...or into getting something else. Whichever you prefer.

A little about what I typically shoot:
- Landscape/night
- Dogs, so kinda wildlife
- Still life
- Interested in getting into astrophotography

What says advrider?
You have been brain washed. The camera / system will not make you better images, especially based on what you typically shoot. But you knew that, right.?

Go take some pics, post em up here, tell us what you don't like and what you need to achieve. Then you will get some value, in comments.

Quoting IXO and other performance specifications is a complete waste of time imho.

carry on.

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #27
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
You have been brain washed. The camera / system will not make you better images, especially based on what you typically shoot. But you knew that, right.?

Go take some pics, post em up here, tell us what you don't like and what you need to achieve. Then you will get some value, in comments.

Quoting IXO and other performance specifications is a complete waste of time imho.

carry on.
exactly !!!

that's why I posted pic's above shot at VGA resolution in jpg using dated cameras with lowly spec's compared to current models.

it's all about the glass and person shooting ... then followed by the camera.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #28
karlb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,097
why not a 7D save about 500.00 and use it towards some nice L series glass. I love my 7d shooting a 70-200 f2.8L II USM lens but I wanted the 8FPS as I shoot marketing photos of horses running free and capturing eyes open and ears forward is easier with a faster FPS rate
karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #29
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
exactly !!!

that's why I posted pic's above shot at VGA resolution in jpg using dated cameras with lowly spec's compared to current models.

it's all about the glass and person shooting ... then followed by the camera.
Geez I dunno _cy_

Your first image looks like its flash blown and the second has the top of the image overexposed. Not great examples, imho.

A lot of mistakes however can be eliminated/reduced/corrected or even fixed on post.

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #30
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,918
_cy_, the pics you posted have all the dynamic range and color rendition of a modern cellular phone. The composition of 'one of the most beautiful bikes ever made' with a tree stump and street signs behind it, poorly lit through the uneven shade of a tree, wouldn't make a high school yearbook.

That you ride an airhead is not a surprise. I would not be shocked to see a post from you about long cylindrical pieces of wood, called 'clubs', that remain the pinnacle of combat and hunting weaponry.

On a more relevant note, your comment that 'most monitors cannot display more than VGA anyway' so absurd that I feel I must address it. VGA is 640x480. Most cellular phones have that much resolution on their screens, and even small laptops are around full HD, which is 1920x1080. My midrange, three year old dell monitor is 1680x1050, fer the chrissakes.

I struggle to see how you are adding anything to this discussion.

With that, I'd suggest that the original poster head over to DGrin.com, which is chock full of professional and amateur photographers with current, relevant experience with the models you are considering.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: