ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #46
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
There are only 2 problems with retirement. One is you have to be so dam old and the other is you never get a day off.

What I like to do on longer trips is camp one day and then motel it the next so you can get a shower, good meal, and real bed. I like to stay flexible. I ride until I decide I want to camp. I change my mine a lot of times during a trip if I find something interesting to explore. I see a road I didn't know about so I decide to see where it goes. Too rigid of schedule makes it more like work. I like the freedom of going where ever and when ever. Packing your camp lets you do that. Plus you never know when something bad might happen, like a mechanical problem. I was a boy scout so I like being prepared.

Roy, I'll see you in about about an hour.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #47
rockyroad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
I don't know too many places that are a good ride that a pickup can get there the same day. There are lots places that you might ride 150-200 miles that a pickup would have to go 500 miles to get there. Plus you have the problem of running into a problem where you can't get through a route because of down trees or washouts. Then you can't hook back up with the pickup and they have all your gear.

I know more places where you can set up camp in a central location and come back to it each night. You can also many times come out and stay in a motel.
I like that idea of setting up camp for 3 or 4 days and ride out of there. Like at one of the hot springs down by the Steens or Hart mountain. A nice soak at the end of the day is always good. Are there any remote hot springs in Idaho?
rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #48
airheadbruce
Uncle Dumbshit

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I like that idea of setting up camp for 3 or 4 days and ride out of there. Like at one of the hot springs down by the Steens or Hart mountain. A nice soak at the end of the day is always good. Are there any remote hot springs in Idaho?
This has got my attention! I have heard of Hot Springs down in the Cascade Idaho area that might be nice. Looks like I'll need to do some research about Steens and Hart mountain.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #49
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,652
Steens would make a nice trip later in the spring; been away from the area so long I don't remember the normal times the high country down there opens up.

ORexpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #50
airheadbruce
Uncle Dumbshit

Here in N Idaho the high country should start to open up sometime in late May but it has been early July some years.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #51
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Idaho has lots of hot springs. Here is a link to them.

http://www.idahohotsprings.com/hot_s...ot_springs.htm

There are also private hot springs where you can camp or stay similar to Lolo Hot Springs in Montana.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #52
hvman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:

Try a Google of Burghdorf and Silver Creek Plunge for a couple good soaking spots
hvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #53
rockyroad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I've done it on a KLR and 800 GS. It is all big bike friendly.

It is a 2 day ride. I like to stay at the Cayuse airstrip campground.
When ever you want to do that loop again count me IN. I'm
leaving most of my summer open in hopes I can hook up with guys I meet on this thread. The only rides or rallies I'm attending are the Hells Canyon /Wallow Valley gathering and maybe The Sasquatch Tour put on
by Ton at Sound Rider depending on where it goes. Won't know till the first of next month.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #54
rockyroad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Idaho has lots of hot springs. Here is a link to them.

http://www.idahohotsprings.com/hot_s...ot_springs.htm

There are also private hot springs where you can camp or stay similar to Lolo Hot Springs in Montana.
How about a hot spring tour? There are a couple near Fields the Alvord hot Spring & Willow Springs, Then there are two just across the border in northern Nevada Virgin Valley Hot Springs & Bog Hot Springs. Then head west a little to Hart Mountain Hot spring and then over toward Summer Lake Hot Spring. Not sure how far away gas would be from each of those but I'll try and look into it. We wouldn't have to hit a new spring every day, we could space them out to every other.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #55
airheadbruce
Uncle Dumbshit

Quote:
How about a hot spring tour? There are a couple near Fields the Alvord hot Spring & Willow Springs, Then there are two just across the border in northern Nevada Virgin Valley Hot Springs & Bog Hot Springs. Then head west a little to Hart Mountain Hot spring and then over toward Summer Lake Hot Spring. Not sure how far away gas would be from each of those but I'll try and look into it. We wouldn't have to hit a new spring every day, we could space them out to every other.
Now that sounds like a plan. Are you gonna be the tour leader? What time of the year would this be done? My dance card is full for March, late June, early August, and September. I can easily fit in a hot springs tour if the dates are right.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #56
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Harley riders go bar to bar so I guess adventure riders can go hot spring to hot spring.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #57
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Harley riders go bar to bar so I guess adventure riders can go hot spring to hot spring.
Been trying to get to Horse Hot Springs for the last two seasons, but thwarted by fires both trips.
Wansfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #58
4r22mny
Old n' Slow

Oddometer: 291
Fire??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Been trying to get to Horse Hot Springs for the last two seasons, but thwarted by fires both trips.
Are you talking about the springs just over the hill North of Shoup, Idaho? Didn't I hear that it burnt to the ground last year?? The buildings I mean.

4r

05 1200 GS
04 1300 FJR
06 XR650R
4r22mny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #59
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,002
I heard they saved the buildings, but when I went up to check this last August, could'nt get close from the MT side due to the current fire between there and Salmon. Even Shoup was shut off. Cost me an extra 80 miles that day in a long weekend trip. So I still don't know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4r22mny View Post
Are you talking about the springs just over the hill North of Shoup, Idaho? Didn't I hear that it burnt to the ground last year?? The buildings I mean.

4r

Wansfel screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 12:15 PM
Wansfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #60
rockyroad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadbruce View Post
Now that sounds like a plan. Are you gonna be the tour leader? What time of the year would this be done? My dance card is full for March, late June, early August, and September. I can easily fit in a hot springs tour if the dates are right.
I did a little homework last night just to see what the distances might be for the four springs I know of. I'm pretty sure there are more springs I don't know about. See how this sounds. We meet 22 miles south of Burns at Crystal Crane Hot springs ( it is a commerical campground ) for the first night. Next day we ride to Willow Hot Spring I think it's also known as Whitehorse hot spring.It is about 35 miles out of Fields. Day two would be from Willow hot springs to either Bog hot springs or Virgin valley hot spring in Nevada. Day three would be from Bog or Virgin to Hart Mountain hot springs. Day four would be from Hart Mountain to Summer Lake hot spring. All of these are in the area of 100 to 130ish miles apart but I just used my Benchmark following the more prominent backroads. But a good amount of gravel. The possibilities of lengthening them are endless if you get into the topo maps and use the lesser roads. If the distance between them is too short we could get there and set up camp and then go exploring in the area to get riding time if needed. We could skip any one of these and go see something else in that area as well. I have no idea at this point how soon this could be done with regard to snow issues, will have to make some calls. Anyway mix it up turn it around throw in ideas, and lets see what happens.
enjoy the ride