ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #61
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,569
RR, that sounds like a really cool thing to do. Might be nice to do it before the summer comes to the high country and everyone goes to the mountains. Besides, I guess the temps might be too hot in mid-summer. Cool or cold night, hot springs, gotta like it.

I'm heading back east in May so will be out of the net from maybe the 10th to the end of the month at the moment.

Late April?

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #62
airheadbruce
Uncle Dumbshit

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
RR, that sounds like a really cool thing to do. Might be nice to do it before the summer comes to the high country and everyone goes to the mountains. Besides, I guess the temps might be too hot in mid-summer. Cool or cold night, hot springs, gotta like it.

I'm heading back east in May so will be out of the net from maybe the 10th to the end of the month at the moment.

Late April?
Late April would work for me, but what are the Temps like then?
2008 Yamaha Zuma
airheadbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #63
rockyroad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post

Late April?
I check with the Hart Mountain Headquarters and the BLM office in Burns and see if I can get some info on this years snow pack over there. I will check elevations on the routes I picked. I know Hart Mountain claims to be open all year but it has to be at least 6 to 7 thousand feet up. I would favor early also.
rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #64
3horsepack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hot Spring Ride

I have been thinking of a hot spring ride for quit awhile. Would love to get in on this one.
3horsepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #65
rockyroad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3horsepack View Post
I have been thinking of a hot spring ride for quit awhile. Would love to get in on this one.
If you want in then you are in, its open to all. If you have any ideas on where you would like to go or what you would like to see in that general area lets hear it. At this point this thing is as flexible as can be.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #66
rockyroad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadbruce View Post
Late April would work for me, but what are the Temps like then?
The average temp for April is high 57 low 29 and May is high 66 and low 36.
Those numbers are for the Burns area.

rockyroad screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 09:24 PM
Old 03-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #67
rockyroad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I hope everyone is busy putting some exciting rides together for this summer. I have a three day hot spring ride pretty much worked out. Could make it four hot springs if you want to. I ran into a little trouble trying to use my Benchmarks and my Topo maps on the computer. They don't match up. I found some roads in Oregon that just stop at the border on my Oregon Topo and no road shows up on Nevada side of the border. I guess it just tells me my Topo's are not as through as I thought they were.
I talked to the BLM office in Burns the other day about snow pack and levels over there and I learned nothing useful. They said call back just before I plan to come over for the ride.
enjoy the ride
see ya soon
Old 03-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #68
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I did a little homework last night just to see what the distances might be for the four springs I know of. I'm pretty sure there are more springs I don't know about. See how this sounds. We meet 22 miles south of Burns at Crystal Crane Hot springs ( it is a commerical campground ) for the first night. Next day we ride to Willow Hot Spring I think it's also known as Whitehorse hot spring.It is about 35 miles out of Fields. Day two would be from Willow hot springs to either Bog hot springs or Virgin valley hot spring in Nevada. Day three would be from Bog or Virgin to Hart Mountain hot springs. Day four would be from Hart Mountain to Summer Lake hot spring. All of these are in the area of 100 to 130ish miles apart but I just used my Benchmark following the more prominent backroads. But a good amount of gravel. The possibilities of lengthening them are endless if you get into the topo maps and use the lesser roads. If the distance between them is too short we could get there and set up camp and then go exploring in the area to get riding time if needed. We could skip any one of these and go see something else in that area as well. I have no idea at this point how soon this could be done with regard to snow issues, will have to make some calls. Anyway mix it up turn it around throw in ideas, and lets see what happens.
enjoy the ride
Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #69
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,837
Suggestion

I camped overnight at Willow Hot Springs last year...very disappointed in the "hot springs" ...not really hot and mud ooze bottom with turbid water..just me..you might enjoy it...did enjoy the morning and evening coyote songs...and, no Roy I did not stalk them!

The ride [dirt/gravel] from Field to Hwy 95 on the Whithorse road is great one...lots of "wide open"
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #70
PSS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
1382 more days until I can hang it up!
PSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #71
rockyroad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
I camped overnight at Willow Hot Springs last year...very disappointed in the "hot springs" ...not really hot and mud ooze bottom with turbid water..just me..you might enjoy it...did enjoy the morning and evening coyote songs...and, no Roy I did not stalk them!

The ride [dirt/gravel] from Field to Hwy 95 on the Whithorse road is great one...lots of "wide open"
Well the lots of wide open part sounded really good but I'm planning on taking Trout Creek Road south toward Nevada so I guess I won't get to experiance Whitehorse road either. The hot spring choices are few out their so I guess I'll have to make the best of it. Thanks for the heads up though. Maybe a few sips of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey might help make it better.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #72
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,837
Ah..Trout Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Well the lots of wide open part sounded really good but I'm planning on taking Trout Creek Road south toward Nevada so I guess I won't get to experiance Whitehorse road either. The hot spring choices are few out their so I guess I'll have to make the best of it. Thanks for the heads up though. Maybe a few sips of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey might help make it better.
Trout Creek is on my short list next Fall...friend hunts there ever year and reminded me that a lot of that drainage and mountain range was burned last year...still will be a great ride..

JD huh? Wondered considering your "ZigZag"..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #73
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 661
Does anyone know how the snowmelt is progressing in SE Oregon. It is time for rubber to hit the road.

Joe
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #74
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
Check out the Palouse riders thread and you will see some trip reports and pictures.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #75
shortcutsmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
late summer 2013

Using mapsource I laid out a 1500 mile loop from Western WA over SR20 North at Mazama and East up near Canada and South towards Priest Lake and across I-90 down towards Grangeville then West over into OR and back through Eastern OR across the river at Hermiston up through Eastern Wa to Yakima and back across SR410 to Western WA. Mostly gravel, FS and County roads. Pavement when necessary to connect gravel. Motels, gas and meals at the end of each day (barring) breakdowns) "That's the reason to carry tent,bags etc, just in case" Didn't go last year because of all the closures in AUG due to fires. Not trying to infringe on the camper folks, just thought there might be some more old timers that want to sleep well and be ready for a full days ride the next day.
shortcutsmc is offline   Reply With Quote