Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #31
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
FPGT72's workshop/garage may work well for him and have been economical to build and own but that interior shows exactly why a design pro should be involved. It's a shame that your hostile surroundings require you to work in a military prison cell.

Meeting physical requirements and purely practical enclosures do not a great building make.
I live out in the boonies, there really is no one around....13ac with my neighbors about 1/4 mile away in every direction....they even have keys to it. While I am in there I love it, don't know if in the pics it shows but it has 4 pretty big speakers and I have been known to get the place a-rockin

But I just did not want the windows....for one thing I am a klutz and know I would bust them....but eveyone is right there is no such thing as too much light. I have 6 x 8' double tubes and that is not enough light...this summer I am adding more. The AC is also a little small for the space, I should have bought a little larger unit....I may add a second this summer as well.

My son's bowflex took the spot for my tube bender, and I did have some stuff in there from the other barn....we also have a 40x60 that the tractors and such are stored in, and a 3 sided one that is about 30x40 for the disc, plow and that kind of stuff.

The one thing I would remind you about skylights, or the clear pannels used on barns and such....they do crack, and leak....I had to pull all of them out of the big barn and just use regular lights.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #32
bigorangeking
n00b

Oddometer: 4
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
bigorangeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #33
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 549
Here's my 32'X48' two story garage. It is a post construction with 6" walls. It has a 12/12 pitch roof and a 16X48 room on the second floor. I have a 100,000 BTU 40' radiant furnace hanging from the 14' high ceiling. I keep it at 50deg when not working out there and my gas bill is usually between $40 and $100.

'12 NC700X/D

gkgeiger screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 08:53 AM
gkgeiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #34
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,712
Light ,light and more light. I have a 80 x 40 x 16 shop . 6 x6 post w/batt insulation metal skin 6' concrete floor with a 11,000 lb hoist. tall ceilings with hanging lights are ok but you will need lights lower along the wall or portable job lights. put in twice as many 110 plugs as you think you need, same with air outlets.
plan a small office space with a door to keep dust and garage stuff from migrating into it. Put motion sensor lights or some switched lights so you don't have to turn on the overheads on a trip to grab something .
I lined the lower sides w/ 1/2 chip board painted white to keep sparks and crap off the insulation.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #35
Doorguy1979
Dreamridin'

Oddometer: 615
Plan for the garage door, I know it seems insignificant, but with the style roof you seem to be using the side clearance gets tighter as you go up the wall, this will effect the amount of lift you can use. You'll want to use a lift clearance or high-lift door especially if you want to use a lift in there (have seen people raise a lift when the door was open and the door did not fair well).

Buy the best garage door you can afford. Two sided steel doors are heavier insulated, stronger, and the light will reflect off the painted steel well and help with lighting. The money saved now on a cheap door will be lost in heat, and replacing it much sooner.

Drive through shops are great, nothing worse than having to move 5 projects to get the mower out.

No garage has enough outlets, ever

Very few garages have enough light, though lights high on the sidewalls are great for working of cars.

If you are anything like me, you spend alot of time on the slab, under projects, heated slabs are a godsend, especially in January.

08 KLR 650
82 Suzuki GS850
7? Sachs Moped Basket Case
Doorguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #36
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
Our garage is city-sized, not much bigger than the two cars. The one thing I've done that worked well was to line to walls (now all the way around) with 1/4" pegboard, with 4" shelves above. Now I have all the tools and "stuff" on the walls where I can find it.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #37
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,281
Carport only

Just in case your not appreciating your big garages I want to show you how the bottom feeders do it .

I do have a workshop out back that the bikes live in but on the weekend I leave the ride of choice out in the carport .
Old 02-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #38
DUNDERHEAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I suggest you visit someone with a garage that is heated with in-slab radiant heat. You know the feeling of coming home, cold from being outside, and standing over a nice warm woodstove ? AAHHHHH.
Radiant is the only way to heat a garage !
DUNDERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #39
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
Here's my 32'X48' two story garage. It is a post contstruction with 6" walls. It has a 12/12 pitch roof and a 16X48 room on the second floor. I have a 100,000 BTU 40' radiant furnace hanging from the 14' high ceiling. I keep it at 50deg when not working out there and my gas bill is usually between $40 and $100.

THat's just awesome! Can we see the inside?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #40
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post

THat's just awesome! Can we see the inside?

Here's a pic from a couple years ago. Too much stuff, need a bigger garage.

'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #41
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,877
A standard american garage is 2 cars, and approximately 20' x20', clearly, not really big enough for anything. And here's my dilemma!

My wife and I are having a much smaller home, on a much smaller lot built so that we can achieve a mortgageless future. We can't fit a traditional 3 wide three car garage due to the setback regulations and such, but, a I can do a garage thats 21' wide, and 30' deep! the same overall dimensions of a regular three car garage, but with only a 2 car door, and super deep.

What do you think my issues/problems/challenges will be making this work for me, my three bikes, my two cars, my workbench and all my shelving? I really don't have much choice in the size, but how I put my shit in there IS up to me.

Any one else have a similar space?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #42
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
A standard american garage is 2 cars, and approximately 20' x20', clearly, not really big enough for anything. And here's my dilemma!

My wife and I are having a much smaller home, on a much smaller lot built so that we can achieve a mortgageless future. We can't fit a traditional 3 wide three car garage due to the setback regulations and such, but, a I can do a garage thats 21' wide, and 30' deep! the same overall dimensions of a regular three car garage, but with only a 2 car door, and super deep.

What do you think my issues/problems/challenges will be making this work for me, my three bikes, my two cars, my workbench and all my shelving? I really don't have much choice in the size, but how I put my shit in there IS up to me.

To put it in perspective, I succesfully fit two cars (small ones) two bikes, all my tools, a decent workbench, two spare sets of wheels/tires for one of the cars, and some assorted garage crap in an 18' x 20' garage. Both bikes and one of the cars are always available without moving anything else. One bike is parked between the cars, and the other is behind the car is driven less. When I want to drive that car, I simpy roll the bike behind the other car. Easy.

If I had an extra ten feet of depth! Wow! What I could do with that room. You should pretty easily be able to fit all your stuff in your proposed space.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #43
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post

Build a garage similar to the one a few posts back with living accommodation above it.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #44
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,078
Do yourself a huge favor - hire a local architect! There are plenty out there like myself who can design and draw a garage for you that takes your unique requirements and desires into account. A simple garage design w/ construction drawings can be done for $1k. That will be one of the less expensive components - don't skip it.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #45
Doorguy1979
Dreamridin'

Oddometer: 615
I have a one car here, it's only 12' wide and 20 feet deep, with a 9x7 door. A couple bikes and tools, hell I can barely walk through. I hate having to do major work outside. Buying a house next, garage is a must have, or at least room for a shed 24 x 32.

08 KLR 650
82 Suzuki GS850
7? Sachs Moped Basket Case
Doorguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: