Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
maquette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtickets View Post
My Dad has offered to show me the Trans America Trail. I need a bike. What is the best USED bike for a beginner. Keep in mind , Im on a budget.
. Serious input only, Thanks
Serious input requires serious answers to some of the questions asked about your particular characteristics. Those answers make it much easier for someone to try and help you out in your search.
'79 Moto Guzzi 1000SP/ Velorex 562 sidecar
'72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
maquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Others make good points about additional info to consider. If I picked one for my oldest son, even though he raced MX most of his life, it would be a WR250R or a DR650 depending on how much street use there is.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
funtickets OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
First, welcome to ADVrider!

If you want the best advice on what might fit your needs best the inmates need a few details!

The KLR and DRZ are good bikes, but how tall are you? How much do you weigh? How much riding experience do you have? What's your budget (BMW, KTM, or UJM?). In addition to those already mentioned several other possibilities would be a Yamaha XT225 or 250, Kawasaki KLR250 (there's a Super Sherpa for sale on Flea Market ride now), Suzuki DR650 (can be easily lowered), Yamaha WR250R (my personal favorite for serious dirt), and the list goes on and on. Bigger displacement usally means greater ride comfort but also means less fuel mileage, taller, heavier, pricier.

Sounds fun, good on you for getting out to ride with your Dad!

Doug
Well, Doug im 6'4" but thin only 150 lbs. My MAX budget is 3,000 us dollars. and technically not bike experience but he has yrs. I own a quad if that helps ? LOL
funtickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,475
Quote:
Well, Doug im 6'4" but thin only 150 lbs. My MAX budget is 3,000 us dollars. and technically not bike experience but he has yrs. I own a quad if that helps ? LOL
I've done the TAT; an XT225 would do fine, fit within your budget and be easy enough to manage when things get sandy/slimy/rutted.
The TAT is not a race. Going bigger, faster, pimper won't mean that it'll be easier nor more fun. Keep it simple.

I'd be recommending a 650 if you had more saddle time. I did it on a bigger bike. Would have been easier with a smaller one.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
I've done the TAT; an XT225 would do fine, fit within your budget and be easy enough to manage when things get sandy/slimy/rutted.
The TAT is not a race. Going bigger, faster, pimper won't mean that it'll be easier nor more fun. Keep it simple.

I'd be recommending a 650 if you had more saddle time. I did it on a bigger bike. Would have been easier with a smaller one.
That's a good point. I know you can find KLR250's cheap.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
I worry that you may be a little cramped on an XT,Super Sherpa or KLR250. My wife has an XT225 and when I ride it its not the power that bothers me its the cramps in my legs. Granted I have bad knees from motorcycle accidents (keep this in mind when you are feeling frisky with the throttle.) Adding a little foam to the seat could help with the leg room and you could maybe lower the pegs along with the standard addition of bar risers. Another bike to keep in mind as you are on the tall side is the KLX250. I think it is a higher performance bike than the ones I listed above and has much better suspension as well as being larger framed than the others. It is comparable to the WR (I didn't say equal, I said comparable), lacks fuel injection but can be found within your budget.
Good luck, be safe and enjoy the time with your old man.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #22
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Best trail bike going is a good KDX----If you can find one!

And, of course, I just happen to have one---Mine is Cherry---which is why I want $2500 for it. Not only is it Cherry but it also is street legal. I built it and kept if as a spare to loan to my friends when they come to ride with me. It's only been out of the garage one time---mainly because I'm so old that I don't have many friends that still ride to loan it to anymore.
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Well that actually makes things easier - you have choices that a shorter person wouldn't be able to fit on. My step-son was 6'11" when he graduated High School and is now a full 7' tall. NOTHING fits him, not even a house. He looked like a spider sitting on a KLR650 which felt pretty tall for me; we put highway pegs on it just so he could stretch his legs out a bit when riding.

I agree with the above - don't write off a 250 just for the engine size, but do remember that the bigger displacement bikes will also be physically bigger and therefore heavier but would probably fit you better. I suspect you could handle a DR or KLR 650 just fine and no sweat finding one in your price range, there are bunches of them on the Flea Market right now. I've owned several XT's, a KLR250 and 650, DR650, and a bunch more bikes in that range and all were completely bomb-proof mechanically (fill gas, check oil, lube chain, RIDE RIDE RIDE!). Don't forget Honda, the XR650 is an outstanding bike too and some of the best equipment I've ever owned was made by Honda. Since you're a n00b I'd probably steer away from the higher performance and finickier bikes like KTMs, Husaberg, Husky, etc. The performance comes at a price in cost and maintenance.

Anyway, let us know what you decide, and post a ride report about your trip!

Woooot! Ridin' with Dad, ain't nothin' better for both of you!

Doug
Old 02-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #24
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Well, you've definitely got the height advantage, but with your weight that still leaves a lot of "larger bikes" feeling heavy for you. The perfect bike for you with your skill level, height, and weight would be a WR250R, but finding one for $3k would be tough. I've seen a few go that low recently, but far and few between. It's a tall bike and fits someone tall, but is so light and easy to handle. The FI is awesome and its so much fun to ride.

BTW, I'm 6'4" also, but more like 250lbs and I love my WR250R. I also have a DR650, but have way more fun on my WRR. I have owned the DRZ400S, KLR650, Husky TE610, KLX650R, KTM520, etc and ridden about everything out there.

Personally, with as light as you are, I don't think the KLR is going to be that great of a match. Its pretty porky off road, especially if you plan on doing the western states of the TAT.

The DR650 is so much easier to handle off road compared to the KLR, but it has a more cramped cockpit in stock form, but not terrible. A few changes can fix that. The tall Seat Concepts seat on the DR650 with some taller bars and risers and you'd be all set and that's what I'm looking at doing to mine. You can pick these up pretty cheap all day long. Look at '96+ models. Keep in mind though, its still a 650 and I think any 650 is going to be on the heavier side for a new rider regardless of how tall you are.

There is the Honda XR650L which is taller than the DR and larger cockpit area, and also a bit better off road. They haven't changed since '93. Only thing is they seem to carry a premium price even for their age.

The DRZ400S would also be a better option than the 650's as its lighter and more capable off road than the KLR or DR and pretty easy to handle for your weight. You could easily set it up for your tall frame too with a tall seat and some bar risers. These have been out since 2000 and are always out there on the used market.

My wife has an XT225 and I've ridden the Sherpa and stuff, but the problem with these is with your height, you'll just be cramped on them and they lack on the suspension which with your height you shouldn't have to compromise. I don't think you'd be happy on the XT225/XT25, Super Sherpa, or CRF230L. They are all very low seat height bikes.

So my suggestions:
If you can extend your budget at all, you won't go wrong with a WR250R. After the TAT, you can sell it and get a lot of your money back too. You won't lose much money on such a popular bike if you don't trash it.

After that, I think it would be DRZ400S or DR650/XR650L. I don't think the KLR is that good of a decision for your light weight at all. Loaded down, that bike is going to leave you struggling big time. I'm not even sure the other 650's won't leave you struggling. For off road riding, lighter is always better and easier.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 12:37 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #25
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Not having any idea on your budget, skill level, or prior experience I would go with a KLR650. Cheap, reliable, and with that 6 gallon tank you can ride it long distances.
?. no way is a klr650 good at all for a beginner. they are way too heavy and tall.

for most all of the TAT you are not going that fast, especially as a beginner.
look at a xt225, dr200, tw200 & kawi super sherpa then bring an extra gallon of gas. you might outgrow these after you're done with the TAT and then you can sell then and move on or not.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #26
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,120
Its not easy to come up with a cheap bike for a tall new dirt rider....
The crf230/250, xt225 are good, but not for tall people.
The wr is not cheap, dr and klr 650's are heavy...
The klx 250 or a drz400 might do.

But you should buy whatever you can find in good shape in your price range. There are not always loads of good used bikes cheap.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #27
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Its not easy to come up with a cheap bike for a tall new dirt rider....
The crf230/250, xt225 are good, but not for tall people.
The wr is not cheap, dr and klr 650's are heavy...
The klx 250 or a drz400 might do.

But you should buy whatever you can find in good shape in your price range. There are not always loads of good used bikes cheap.
Totally forgot about the KLX250S. That bike is a bit taller than the XT/Sherpa/CRF230 bikes and definitely a bit more powerful than those. Its more in line with the CRF250L and just behind the WR250R. The KLX does shine pretty well off road also and definitely easy to handle. The 06/07 models had more suspension travel too.

To the OP starter, the KLX250S has been out since 2006. Some decently priced used models out there do show up.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #28
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Does no one notice my posts or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Totally forgot about the KLX250S. That bike is a bit taller than the XT/Sherpa/CRF230 bikes and definitely a bit more powerful than those. Its more in line with the CRF250L and just behind the WR250R. The KLX does shine pretty well off road also and definitely easy to handle. The 06/07 models had more suspension travel too.

To the OP starter, the KLX250S has been out since 2006. Some decently priced used models out there do show up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
I worry that you may be a little cramped on an XT,Super Sherpa or KLR250. My wife has an XT225 and when I ride it its not the power that bothers me its the cramps in my legs. Granted I have bad knees from motorcycle accidents (keep this in mind when you are feeling frisky with the throttle.) Adding a little foam to the seat could help with the leg room and you could maybe lower the pegs along with the standard addition of bar risers. Another bike to keep in mind as you are on the tall side is the KLX250. I think it is a higher performance bike than the ones I listed above and has much better suspension as well as being larger framed than the others. It is comparable to the WR (I didn't say equal, I said comparable), lacks fuel injection but can be found within your budget.
Good luck, be safe and enjoy the time with your old man.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #29
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
Yeah, I must have skipped over your post earlier.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #30
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,120
I think the KLX 250 needs a rejet to run very well, easy and cheap to do and it might have been done on a used bike, plus you can add a nice big bore kit when you want more grunt.
A big bore kit, open up the intake a bit, add a pumper carb and I bet they run very well. Plus they came in (fast) red some years!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote