Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #16
DriveShaft OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
While the guy comes across as an oil company shill is it posible that in this case he was just circling looking for a parking space?
I'm drawing much of my gut feel from the whole picture, not that one item...It's the consistency of mis-information that point out the journalists obvious interest in painting an inaccurate picture. Essentially the only thing he proved is "If you really want to run out of gas...you can." But you have to try pretty hard to be that much of an idiot.

I did the same thing when I drove my civic out of gas. Irrationally skipping right by gas stations with the INTENT to run out of gas... My favorite stint was rolling into the gas station sputtering on fumes. That was *satisfying*. But I wasn't writing an article about how well the gas station network supported my commute the week of Exxon's quarterly report was I? He was obviously being a dick.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
He was obviously being a dick.
this.
It will be interesting to see how being a dick to a billionaire works out for him.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
So it's ok to be a billionaire if your pc?
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #19
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
Sounds like Broders responses are pretty much "so and so told me to do this, blah blah, and that's why the car died"

Im inclined to believe the data from the car rather than Broder.

"I stopped at 72 percent because I had replenished more than enough energy for the miles I intended to drive the next day"

If he had the time to charge over night, why the hell wouldn't he just charge to 100% like any normal person would?!
I suspect most of you all haven't read the og article, then Musk's comments, then the response from broders. He stopped at 72%, after charging it at one of the superchargers for over an hour. It was not at the over night stop. How long do you want dude to sit there? Reading all 3 pieces of info, I believe broders is generally being on the up and up, and musk is being a bit of a jerk off in his responses (and I'm a huuuge musk fan - he's the closest we have to a real life tony stark).
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #20
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,230
I see a BS article. The "reporter" has excuses for his parking lot driving, car speeds and charging yet the data logging shows lies about his temperature settings. I think they show lies about his entire drive.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #21
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
I see a BS article. The "reporter" has excuses for his parking lot driving, car speeds and charging yet the data logging shows lies about his temperature settings. I think they show lies about his entire drive.
I'm in this camp. Putting the issues already presented aside, as the newspaper business continues to deteriorate it seems the staff are taking ever sharper, more biased, more outrageous approaches to try to sell papers. Like magazines it is a dying medium and there are a whole bunch of people heading for unemployment if they don't write things that sell. No one cares about the truth anymore.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #22
DriveShaft OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
I think they show lies about his entire drive.
Precisely. Musk doesn't even have to write a single word. The charts look nothing like what he wrote. Musk doesn't have the professional obligation of fair and objective journalism. Broder does. Musk has the obligation of maximizing shareholder return. I can see why Musk writes in the way he does, once provoked. But Broder does the provoking.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #23
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
I suspect most of you all haven't read the og article, then Musk's comments, then the response from broders. He stopped at 72%, after charging it at one of the superchargers for over an hour. It was not at the over night stop. How long do you want dude to sit there? Reading all 3 pieces of info, I believe broders is generally being on the up and up, and musk is being a bit of a jerk off in his responses (and I'm a huuuge musk fan - he's the closest we have to a real life tony stark).
He said he stopped charging at 72% because he had more than enough mileage for his drive the NEXT DAY. Which leads me to believe he had all night to charge the car, so why didn't he?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #24
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
He said he stopped charging at 72% because he had more than enough mileage for his drive the NEXT DAY. Which leads me to believe he had all night to charge the car, so why didn't he?
Because he had to stand there at the charging station, and not relax at his hotel maybe?

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #25
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
When I look at the log, and musk says he drove at speeds from 65-81 for the majority of the trip (which may technically be true, can't tell, but cmon. He was at 81 for a tiny, tiny blip, and you can see he was going real slow Dow a real long time), you can see what musk is trying to do. As pointed out in the response, the article didn't say he lowered the temp at mile 182 - in fact, it said it was after he put it on cruise. If you take the 50mph line to be where he says 45mph, as musk does, you can see it's around mile 100, and the temp is below 72 then.

Musk is being way too defensive and making to many excuses imo.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #26
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You should try reading the og article. :-)

He was at one of the two supercharger stations, at a milford service center, hanging out at a dunkin donuts, and let it charge nearly an hour already. He specifically mentioned he then went out and about to the tune of 79 miles, before parking for the night, and planned to return the next day before finishing his trip (which he had to do anyway).

Unless he's a lot lizard, he didn't have all night. :-)
Old 02-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #27
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,301
Late last summer or in the early fall the New York Times ran a story (perhaps not by the same reporter) about the Tesla S easily making the range goals on a drive from Lake Tahoe to Los Angeles while stopping at Tesla super stations. Going by that it doesn't seem the paper is out to debunk Tesla.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #28
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,301
Late last summer or in the early fall the New York Times ran a story (perhaps not by the same reporter) about the Tesla S easily making the range goals on a drive from Lake Tahoe to Los Angeles while stopping at Tesla super stations. Going by that it doesn't seem the paper is out to take down Tesla.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #29
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Late last summer or in the early fall the New York Times ran a story (perhaps not by the same reporter) about the Tesla S easily making the range goals on a drive from Lake Tahoe to Los Angeles while stopping at Tesla super stations. Going by that it doesn't seem the paper is out to take down Tesla.
The paper? No.

The reporter? Maybe.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #30
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,554
Electric cars are not for everybody. We know that. We get it. Stop writing about it. Write what needs to be done to make it better.

Unfortunately they are still only a privilege for a select few people. While recharging may be free, you are better off getting a nice F350 Kingrach with 6.7L diesel, and paying for the fuel for the next 30 years. We all know that... economics a side, until all car companies get on board, and until the network expands, this car will be nothing more than a toy.

Now having said that, bashing a vehicle, and a system that could potentially be the future, on top of that providing a sensationalized report, is very irresponsible and immature journalism.

We should all embrace technology, and innovation. While this car may not be perfect, the early adopters of the technology are paving a way towards more innovation, technology, and economies of scale.

Just because we can burn oil, does it really mean we should? Exxon, BP, and others want you to think so.

In this age, it is even possible to recharge batteries wirelessly. Imagine 30 years from now, there won't even be gas stations. You will be driving down the road passing through a "visual" checkpoint, and with the click of the button, your car would be recharged on the fly.

I hate to be that guy, but get your tin-foil hats out, there are lot of people who want to see demise of electric and alternative vehicles. It is an industry changing concept, and there are a lot of people out there who have a lot to loose.
We see this in a lot of different industries when old business is unable to adapt to new technology, embrace it, and come out with a different business model.

Instead, It is status quo, business as usual... Lobby more....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: