Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 AM   #16
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Short of the mains-powered 'instant water heaters' running off an inverter on your bike, it's a Jetboil, hands down, no contest. This is faster than a gas hob on a house cooker, or even an electric kettle.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #17
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
a proper tea break should be made with no hurry. Are scones involved?
+1 on the scones
Old 02-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #18
Worroll OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
I should have titled the post "Easiest way to boil water?". Speed isn't really the concern, it's mostly simplicity.
It would have to be something that uses contained fuel, so the jet boil is nice for that. But the price and size of the Esbit stove takes the prize. Spec is 14 minutes to boil a liter, but a I'm sure just 2 cups will boil in a more reasonable time, and for $10 it's well in the cheap.

I've only had a scone at Starbucks, it was a pumpkin spice I think. it was really good. Tell me more about these scones?
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #19
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,402
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scone
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:10 AM   #20
Unstable Rider
Fetch the net...

Oddometer: 2,314
Jet boil: $99.00

MSR Reactor: $179.00

You do the math.

80 bucks is 80 bucks. It's boiling water, not making fillet mignon.

Jet boil is the clear choice. 80 bucks difference will buy lots of scones!
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #21
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post

You do the math.

or this..

http://dx.com/p/outdoor-portable-ult...se-2-ag3-46371

cost less than 8 bucks, but you'll still need a fuel canister. It'll take 4-5 minutes but i's very small and the stove will fit inside a mug.

8 bucks vs 99. You do the math, that's a lot of scones.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #22
Worroll OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
I think going gas canister route, the MSR Pocket Rocket at $40 would be the best bet for just boiling water.
edit- except for that $8 stove?!?
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #23
CJGamer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
+whatever on the jetboil.
Love mine.
Also- for like an extra 12 or 15 bucks, I got the coffee press attachment- You could use that if you want real tea without bags, where you just toss in flakes.

+1 on the Pumpkin Scone. Fall is the best time of year at starbucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post

You do the math.

CJGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #24
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,478
Another vote for the Jetboil. I do a lot of backpacking, and as a result, I have used or actually own a pretty broad variety of small stoves. My personal favorite is a tiny titanium Primus stove due to its very light weight and very small size, but my friend's Jetboil is just a bit faster to boil and is a simpler system if you're just looking to boil water. If all you want it for is making hot water for tea, the Jetboil is pretty much built for that. Just boil in the mug and go.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #25
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
Camp stoves have been discussed at length I'm sure. I love my MSR Dragonfly for most things, but was wondering what's the easiest/smallest setup that will simply boil water for a cup of tea?
I've become hooked on tea, I think it may have come with buying a British bike? During day rides I like to stop occasionally to stretch and would love to have a small setup that can just make a cup o tea.

It should be cheap, with easy/no mess setup, and small enough to fit in a tank bag.
Not sure how large your tank bag is.

Cannister stoves are fast, small-ish, and light. Mine is an MSR Superfly, but most work similarly.

For minimalist, cheap, small, light, and for making hot water, I use this:

It is the Steverstove, sold by an inmate (check Vendors) for around $10 delivered. I bought several years supply of Heet on sale at $1 / bottle, and carry it in rectangular Nalgene bottles, either 250 ml or 500 ml depending on how many times I expect to use it. I mark the Nalgene bottles with a Sharpie to take the guesswork out of measuring. I use 50 ml (1.5 US oz) per kettle of water. Not as fast as a cannister stove, but dead-reliable, and tiny.

Bought one of these a few months ago from backcountry.com for $20:

Looking forward to using it. Brew and drink from it, and the stove, lighter fit inside with lots of room to spare.

jon_l screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 05:56 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #26
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
or this..

http://dx.com/p/outdoor-portable-ult...se-2-ag3-46371

cost less than 8 bucks, but you'll still need a fuel canister. It'll take 4-5 minutes but i's very small and the stove will fit inside a mug.

8 bucks vs 99. You do the math, that's a lot of scones.
The price is tempting, but even putting aside the obvious quality concerns, this stove is not on the same level as Jetboil.
Jetboil has a built-in heat exchanger and insulated bowl, they make the stove fast and help to save the fuel. It works well even in seriously windy conditions. Since all the components, including the fuel, fit neatly inside the bowl, the size of the stove is not an issue- it doesn't take any additional room in the luggage. I'm also puzzled by the fact that $8 stove comes with batteries. I thought that a piezo ignition was a de-facto standard for these applications. And you'll need to buy a bowl, which will bring the cost up.
Jetboil is not the cheapest, but I truly enjoy the way it works every time I use it. Totally worth the price. Just don't buy the cheapest model without the ignition.
MSR Reactor is also heat-exchanger based, but I have no personal experience with it.

The blue model is $70 at Amazon today, which is a great price.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #27
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
It works well even in seriously windy conditions.
Even a breeze defeats those minimalist camp stoves in my experience. That or it all falls over when I'm not looking.

For day tripping, I'm not sure but that a darn good thermos wouldn't do just fine for the OP. Or, stopping for fuel and using the stations hot water (microwaves are everywhere now).
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #28
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
The price is tempting, but even putting aside the obvious quality concerns, this stove is not on the same level as Jetboil.
Jetboil has a built-in heat exchanger and insulated bowl, they make the stove fast and help to save the fuel. It works well even in seriously windy conditions. Since all the components, including the fuel, fit neatly inside the bowl, the size of the stove is not an issue- it doesn't take any additional room in the luggage. I'm also puzzled by the fact that $8 stove comes with batteries. I thought that a piezo ignition was a de-facto standard for these applications. And you'll need to buy a bowl, which will bring the cost up.
Jetboil is not the cheapest, but I truly enjoy the way it works every time I use it. Totally worth the price. Just don't buy the cheapest model without the ignition.
MSR Reactor is also heat-exchanger based, but I have no personal experience with it.

The blue model is $70 at Amazon today, which is a great price.

Good points, I have the little stove and I use a double walled stainless steel mug which is used to heat and drink. It came with a battery and I'm using the original, but I've only used the stove a few times. Should still be able to light if the ignition craps out, but will have to try that before any long trip.

The quality seems great, and it's a robust little stove for what it is. but it's still fairly new to me. It'll fit in a shirt pocket though.....

Another good thing is, I cooked bacon and eggs on it in the kitchen when I initially got it and it worked fantastic with either a 6 or 8in frying pan.

It's only boiled water a few times since then..

Hard to beat 8 bucks and free shipping. It may take 3 months to get it though..

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #29
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,561
windscreen, fits inside the stove, weighs about 1 oz, Ive used alky stoves from summer temps to single digit temps in snow, rain, and high winds, never an issue.

My largest complaint about an alky stove is that the flame is hard to see in bright sunlight, but thats not really much to complain about.

boil time in even cold weather for a 900ml is about 7 minutes , ive never tried to boil just 1 or 2 cups, but im sure it would be even faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Even a breeze defeats those minimalist camp stoves in my experience. That or it all falls over when I'm not looking.

For day tripping, I'm not sure but that a darn good thermos wouldn't do just fine for the OP. Or, stopping for fuel and using the stations hot water (microwaves are everywhere now).
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #30
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
I've probably own 10 different stoves, including Jet Boil. The one I seem to use the most mostly for it's size and price is the MSR pocket rocket. It fits into a nice little container and uses screw on canisters. I also have the Coleman model that is just as good doesn't come in a case. I highly recommend either!

http://www.rei.com/product/660163/ms...130215145001:s
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote