Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #61
Worroll OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
I'm not big on the Alky stoves for this exact purpose because it requires me to carry liquid fuel. I know it's not all that messy, but it's still dealing with liquid fuel that can spill, etc... but maybe I should try one out and see.
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #62
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,640
I understand that perfectly, and its why I stopped carrying a coleman 442 feather light ( spilled gas in my pack one trip ruined a backpack outnig pretty much)

anyway, the denatured alky wont hurt anything if spilled, in fact, I wash my hands with it quite often evaprates fast, leaves no residue and does not smell after its evaporated.

plus you can toss it on a campfire if its wet, and you need a boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
I'm not big on the Alky stoves for this exact purpose because it requires me to carry liquid fuel. I know it's not all that messy, but it's still dealing with liquid fuel that can spill, etc... but maybe I should try one out and see.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #63
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 301
The $8 stove can be purchase for about $7 on eBay and $9 on Amazon. The one from Amazon actually ships pretty quick.

The 4" X 7" Stanely Adventure Pot with two cups for $15 at Amazon or locally at Target

Put it all in a Molle Nelgene case $14 from eBay or Amazon

Total cost of $40 for a carrying case, stove pot, and two insulated cups.
Add a butane cylinder from you local sporting goods for about $8 and put it right into the case.
ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #64
rdcamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Military surplus stores sell chemical bricks, about the size of a hotel bar of soap.

It can be placed in a small aluminum tray. You light it, and that F&cker burns.

Great for boiling water, cooking soup, etc.

Though you need to be careful where you place it.

Last time I saw one used (Excursion with the Civil Air Patrol) the log we placed it on had burn marks from the aluminum tress.
rdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #65
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
Pick up a little yellow bottle of Heet in any gas station. It is small, easy to pour neatly, and doesn't leak.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #66
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
I understand that perfectly, and its why I stopped carrying a coleman 442 feather light ( spilled gas in my pack one trip ruined a backpack outnig pretty much)

anyway, the denatured alky wont hurt anything if spilled, in fact, I wash my hands with it quite often evaprates fast, leaves no residue and does not smell after its evaporated.

plus you can toss it on a campfire if its wet, and you need a boost.

You may want to read the MSDS on that shit before you wash your hands again, it absorbs faster than it evaporates and the effects aren't cool.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #67
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

you mean this one here?

http://engineering.case.edu/thinkbox...ed_alcohol.pdf

perhaps you should read it, as it says

"Skin Contact Acute Exposure Effects:
May cause irritation, drying of skin, redness, and dermatitis. May cause symptoms listed under inhalation. May
be absorbed through damaged skin."

if dry skin is the worst result from over exposure to my stove fuel, I am happy.

it will dry your skin out, if you use it often, but its a great solvent when I dont have fast orange, or something else handy to wash grease or oil off of my hands, like when on the bike or camping.

also, It is used in FDA compliant manufacturing process to clean things that come into contact with food.

as I said, evaporates fast, leaves nothing behind.

the SLX that I usually buy in bulk gallon containers and use, has more methanol than pure denatured..
I use Heet too, but since im not a chemist I dont wash my hands or gargle with the heet.

your mileage may vary, typed from denatured hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
You may want to read the MSDS on that shit before you wash your hands again, it absorbs faster than it evaporates and the effects aren't cool.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #68
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,656
Lurvs me an alcohol stove - but no thanks on the hand cleaner

Quote:
you mean this one here?

perhaps you should read it, ...
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #69
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

I am not recommending doing it daily.

but keep in mind, in the 70s and 80s, we washed our hands with gasoline to get the grease off.

If I have to crawl into a tent or sleeping bag with either used engine oil, or denatured alcohol on my hands, Ill choose the alky.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #70
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
you mean this one here?

perhaps you should read it, as it says

"Skin Contact Acute Exposure Effects:
May cause irritation, drying of skin, redness, and dermatitis. May cause symptoms listed under inhalation. May
be absorbed through damaged skin."

if dry skin is the worst result from over exposure to my stove fuel, I am happy.

it will dry your skin out, if you use it often, but its a great solvent when I dont have fast orange, or something else handy to wash grease or oil off of my hands, like when on the bike or camping.

also, It is used in FDA compliant manufacturing process to clean things that come into contact with food.

as I said, evaporates fast, leaves nothing behind.

the SLX that I usually buy in bulk gallon containers and use, has more methanol than pure denatured..
I use Heet too, but since im not a chemist I dont wash my hands or gargle with the heet.

your mileage may vary, typed from denatured hands.
I'm well aware of the potential effects I work with it on a daily basis and thought I'd point out the potential effects, I assumed you were unaware since knowingly doing what you are doesn't make any sense. It does evaporate fast but it absorbs faster.

You must have missed the part in your link about symptoms listed under ihalation, or did you just omit them from the cut and paste to make a point? I hate to be the bearer of more bad news but methanol is no better. A couple pairs of disposable nitrile gloves tucked in a pocket or in your tool pouch may be a viable alternative to washing with a known toxin considering the size and cost.

PG007
Old 02-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #71
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Esbit.

at least 4 fuel tabs fit inside when closed. Nice and compact.
\

However, I have found that mine is giving off a nasty odor when kept in a side case for extended periods of time. And its in a ziplock.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #72
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

you are absolutely right, gloves would be good to carry, and the methanol makes the slx worse.
I never said otherwise.

Inhalation, I did not even speak about. is it any wore than getting a whiff of gasoline when filling your tank?
brake cleaner when doing a brake job?

a smell of carb cleaner when freeing up that sticky needle/seat?

I am doubtful that denatured is nearly as harmful as these other chemicals people deal with often.

Oh as a side note, denatured alcohol is often used in make up right? its a good thing nobody puts that crap on their skin.

ever heard of SD Alcohol 23-A, SD Alcohol 40, or SD Alcohol 40-B?

pretty common in cosmetics..

Im just saying, NOBODY should wash there hands in anything other than Reverse osmotically filtered holy water.

but I sure as hell am not worried about denatured alcohol while trying to wash my hands.

Oh yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
I'm well aware of the potential effects I work with it on a daily basis and thought I'd point out the potential effects, I assumed you were unaware since knowingly doing what you are doesn't make any sense. It does evaporate fast but it absorbs faster.

You must have missed the part in your link about symptoms listed under ihalation, or did you just omit them from the cut and paste to make a point? I hate to be the bearer of more bad news but methanol is no better. A couple pairs of disposable nitrile gloves tucked in a pocket or in your tool pouch may be a viable alternative to washing with a known toxin considering the size and cost.

mouthfulloflake screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 08:51 PM
Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #73
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I never saw their vacuum bottle before. Where did you buy it?

I have a Zojirushi "egg" rice cooker, best small appliance ever if you eat a lot of rice.

Expensive, but was a gift, and has worked flawlessly for quite a few years. Have not used it on the motorcycle yet though
I bought off Amazon.
Nissan makes similar, slightly-easier to find version as well.

I love rice. Wonder if I can run a rice cooker of my DR's battery.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #74
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Good points, I have the little stove and I use a double walled stainless steel mug which is used to heat and drink. It came with a battery and I'm using the original, but I've only used the stove a few times. Should still be able to light if the ignition craps out, but will have to try that before any long trip.

The quality seems great, and it's a robust little stove for what it is. but it's still fairly new to me. It'll fit in a shirt pocket though.....

Another good thing is, I cooked bacon and eggs on it in the kitchen when I initially got it and it worked fantastic with either a 6 or 8in frying pan.

It's only boiled water a few times since then..

Hard to beat 8 bucks and free shipping. It may take 3 months to get it though..
Ordered two of them from China on ebay ($9 shipped) and they arrived in three days. I don't know how they actually make any money on that deal. It's every bit as good as any of the more expensive cannister-top stoves I've had experience with. If anything, these Chinese knock-offs have a more powerful burner than the burners I've used in the past. Just thought I'd give a little of my experience with them. I still default to the Jetboil because it comes in a nice kit, and I like the big cup for drinking water when I'm camping.
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #75
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Inhalation, I did not even speak about. is it any wore than getting a whiff of gasoline when filling your tank?
brake cleaner when doing a brake job?
What the MSDS says is that the effects of absorption are the same as inhalation. I'm not gonna argue, do what you want I truly don't give a shit just thought you might want to know.

PG007