Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #76
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,256
I LOVE this place -- we can turn anydamnthing into an arguement!

YAY us!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #77
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
I LOVE this place -- we can turn anydamnthing into an arguement!

YAY us!
Welcome to the internet! lol

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #78
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
carrying alcohol fuel

No worries with a spill of alcohol because it's the easiest of any fuel to wash away any smell and danger. Alcohol stoves are the safest to use because they can be easily extinguished with water. I admit that using a small homemade stove certainly isn't the fastest way to cook, but they are easy to pack and are a great way to boil water for hot drinks or adding to a ziplock bag or dried food.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #79
GMess
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
What the MSDS says is that the effects of absorption are the same as inhalation. I'm not gonna argue, do what you want I truly don't give a shit just thought you might want to know.
Had sometimes thought that it might be interesting to actually write a SDS for dihydrogen monoxide.......but I find it has already been done http://www.dhmo.org/msds/MSDS-DHMO-Kemp.pdf

Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #80
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,640
I do not even think the time difference is as large as some would make it out to be.

consider that, you dont have a fuel canister to screw, or unscrew, no tank to pump, and the alky stove is cool to the touch and can be packed away in about 45 seconds after it goes out. No waiting for parts to cool so you can disassemble and pack the stove.

Just my opinion of course, and for the love all that is good, dont get any sort of stove fuel on your hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 568V8 View Post
No worries with a spill of alcohol because it's the easiest of any fuel to wash away any smell and danger. Alcohol stoves are the safest to use because they can be easily extinguished with water. I admit that using a small homemade stove certainly isn't the fastest way to cook, but they are easy to pack and are a great way to boil water for hot drinks or adding to a ziplock bag or dried food.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #81
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,640
I get that excessive micturation symptom pretty often too, usually from beer though.

oh no, what if beer has dihydrodrogen monoxide in it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMess View Post
Had sometimes thought that it might be interesting to actually write a SDS for dihydrogen monoxide.......but I find it has already been done http://www.dhmo.org/msds/MSDS-DHMO-Kemp.pdf

mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #82
grahamfitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Talking

Along the same lines as those exhaust manifold hot dog heaters, how about a kettle that clamps around the exhaust and boils water while riding? Tea time would be signaled by a steam whistle.

No extra fuel required.

Note the exhaust pipe, kettle and steam will be hot so for your own safety please wear all the gear all tea time.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #83
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfitter View Post
Along the same lines as those exhaust manifold hot dog heaters, how about a kettle that clamps around the exhaust and boils water while riding? Tea time would be signaled by a steam whistle.

No extra fuel required.

Note the exhaust pipe, kettle and steam will be hot so for your own safety please wear all the gear all tea time.

Tea hee
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #84
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,443
This would be quick, but not as tidy as some of the slower solutions that inmates have nominated as "quick":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sab2Ltm1WcM

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #85
KsFolly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I was thinking of a nice picnic hamper with a thermos for my Elevenses.

Much too much bother to make my own tea.

K
KsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #86
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I think we have a clear winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWGo...=results_video
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 AM   #87
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfitter View Post

No extra fuel required.

Plumb a small heat exchanger into the oil cooling circuit, you'll get water the perfect temperature for tea and help keep the motor cool.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #88
chrome bandit
Wide footed adventurer

Oddometer: 297
If I may share additional perspective: the original post focused on quickest/simplest way to boil water for tea...I only used an alky stove on my Alaska sojourn (Stever stove from the Vendor section, two thumbs up)...very simple, small, 100% reliable, watch your pot balance.

That said, I also felt restricted at times over it's limitations...it's not the fastest heater out there and I had limited heating time due to fuel size. Yeah I could refuel and fire up again, it puts a break between meal stages. An MSR pocket reactor might be one step up - fast, small, continuous, more flexible in pot assortment than a Jetboil system. Just have to manage the fuel containers. The MSR reactor rocks if you can spend, at least grab a 20% coupon or snitch one off 'Steep & Cheap'.

Although I only want to carry one heating system, regardless whether for a tea/coffee stop or cooking up dinner, I'm a bit intrigued by the Biolite stove. We carried one on the WABDR. Burns little wood bits, and recharges your phone/GoPro/whatever while it's burning. You can also put a pot on top for cooking, we didn't on the trip, we using it primarily as a small camp fire. Ironically, I typically got it going by spurting some alky on it and flinging off sparks via a fire rod, easier than matches. Biolite seems to have gotten traction in 3rd world countries where wood cooking is the only kitchen, and they have no electricity to charge their phones.

In the end, if you go alky, definitely must get the Gobspark Armageddon Firesteel. It rocks. And the name sounds great saying out loud.
chrome bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #89
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome bandit View Post
If I may share additional perspective: the original post focused on quickest/simplest way to boil water for tea...I only used an alky stove on my Alaska sojourn (Stever stove from the Vendor section, two thumbs up)...very simple, small, 100% reliable, watch your pot balance.

That said, I also felt restricted at times over it's limitations...it's not the fastest heater out there and I had limited heating time due to fuel size. Yeah I could refuel and fire up again, it puts a break between meal stages. An MSR pocket reactor might be one step up - fast, small, continuous, more flexible in pot assortment than a Jetboil system. Just have to manage the fuel containers. The MSR reactor rocks if you can spend, at least grab a 20% coupon or snitch one off 'Steep & Cheap'.

Although I only want to carry one heating system, regardless whether for a tea/coffee stop or cooking up dinner, I'm a bit intrigued by the Biolite stove. We carried one on the WABDR. Burns little wood bits, and recharges your phone/GoPro/whatever while it's burning. You can also put a pot on top for cooking, we didn't on the trip, we using it primarily as a small camp fire. Ironically, I typically got it going by spurting some alky on it and flinging off sparks via a fire rod, easier than matches. Biolite seems to have gotten traction in 3rd world countries where wood cooking is the only kitchen, and they have no electricity to charge their phones.

In the end, if you go alky, definitely must get the Gobspark Armageddon Firesteel. It rocks. And the name sounds great saying out loud.
They're neat and all but take about 5 hours to charge a dead iphone.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #90
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
They're neat and all but take about 5 hours to charge a dead iphone.
I'm not very convinced the Biolite stove is worth toting on a moto trip, even the most basic DS rig has enough alternator output to run a USB charge adapter, and the 50A alternator in my GS can do the job several times over.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote