ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC View Post
. . .The route shows as a line with a series of flags but where a flag appears on a section that is 'off road' the route has gone and instead a direct line appears to the nearest road. I'm assuming its because of the 'auto recalculation' which apparently cant be switched off in the Nuvi. I've tried changing the navigation mode to off road which makes no difference and i've tried running the .gpx file through Ponikiller to unflag the route but then the whole route just disappears. So how do i get the Nuvi to just keep the original route?
Nuvi GPSs always calculate routes through the points. To make it go where you want you may need LOTS of points.

If your route goes on logging roads or ATV trails, they may show up on OSMaps. You can download Garmin-routable OSMaps, put them on your Nuvi (simultaneous with NAVTEQ maps) and the Nuvi may show the route you want. You may need to switch to bicycle mode to follow some "roads".

If your route is truly off road you need tracks, not routes. No Nuvi supports tracks. With tracks no GPS will tell you where to turn or how to stay on the track. The GPS will display the track as a line on the screen and it's your job to stay on top of the line as you ride.

When I'm off road I use my Nuvi to show where I am. I don't expect it to show a pre-defined route or track.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
. I loaded the route onto the Nuvi screen through apps/trip planner but here's where I've hit a brick wall. The route shows as a line with a series of flags but where a flag appears on a section that is 'off road' the route has gone and instead a direct line appears to the nearest road. I'm assuming its because of the 'auto recalculation' which apparently cant be switched off in the Nuvi. I've tried changing the navigation mode to off road which makes no difference and i've tried running the .gpx file through Ponikiller to unflag the route but then the whole route just disappears. So how do i get the Nuvi to just keep the original route?
if you buy the garmin topo australia & new zealand maps (version 3 and onward), it will auto route along off road sections, except for very minor tracks that appear as dotted lines on the maps.

however, as the post above, i find it easier to just use a lot of waypoints and use direct routing, which is a series of straight lines between the points.

so in mapsource, create your route using direct routes....

EDIT / PREFERENCES / ROUTES

draw your route using enough straight lines to approximate your route. you'll need to work out how many points your gps can handle before it spits the dummy. my 1490t doesn't seem to like more than 100 points usually so i split long rides into sections.

next, upload the route to your gps. then you'll need to do the following....

TOOLS / MY DATA / IMPORT ROUTES / .... select the route and click IMPORT

then go TOOLS / ROUTES / and choose the route you want.

then scroll down and go RECALCULATE / OFF ROAD / OKAY'

then click SAVE so you don't have to do all that again each time you use the route.

back track and again go TOOLS / ROUTES and select the desired route.

scroll down and hit VIEW MAP then hit GO.

you get to choose if you want the gps to navigate you to the start, but remember it will only show a straight line as it is in direct routes mode.

complicated? yes. garmin is hopeless when it comes to making user-friendly interfaces but once you get the hang of it these are great budget offroad units. if your menu is different you'll just have to find out where these bits hang out on your gps.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
ausguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Now i'm confused. Firstly B1 thanks for all your input on this, you've dramatically simplified what was, for me at least a fairly daunting subject. As a result I've just bought myself my first GPS, a Nuvi 2455LM and really started to get to grips with it all. I've managed to get my head around Basecamp, loaded the Shonky maps onto my device, plotted a route on Basecamp and exported it to the Nuvi. I loaded the route onto the Nuvi screen through apps/trip planner but here's where I've hit a brick wall. The route shows as a line with a series of flags but where a flag appears on a section that is 'off road' the route has gone and instead a direct line appears to the nearest road. I'm assuming its because of the 'auto recalculation' which apparently cant be switched off in the Nuvi. I've tried changing the navigation mode to off road which makes no difference and i've tried running the .gpx file through Ponikiller to unflag the route but then the whole route just disappears. So how do i get the Nuvi to just keep the original route?
Shonky maps does not have auto routing try it with city nav
Aus
ausguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #19
AJC
Reformed Roadaholic

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
The GPS will display the track as a line on the screen and it's your job to stay on top of the line as you ride..
- this is all i want to achieve. So as I understand it I need to

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
use a lot of waypoints and use direct routing, which is a series of straight lines between the points. .
to give me a fixed track not a route so that the device is not trying to recalculate the route.

The problem is that the Nuvi 2455 doesn't have any TOOLS / MY DATA / IMPORT ROUTES / type of menu options. All it has is the Trip Planner option and this only recognises the routes I import and doesn't recognise the tracks. Even using the maximum of 1000 waypoints on a very simple route and setting the unit to 'off road' still doesn't give me the required result, just auto calculated routes from each waypoint and as far as i can tell there's no way to turn off recalculating on the device. It looks like i'm buggered. Any other ideas or do I now have to sell my brand new unused Ram mount?
(By the way I downloaded Mapsource to try that but it has no USB drivers so I couldn't get it to work with my device and the forum says Garmin are dropping it in favour of Basecamp).
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #20
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
- this is all i want to achieve. So as I understand it I need to
to give me a fixed track not a route so that the device is not trying to recalculate the route.

The problem is that the Nuvi 2455 doesn't have any TOOLS / MY DATA / IMPORT ROUTES / type of menu options. All it has is the Trip Planner option and this only recognises the routes I import and doesn't recognise the tracks.
just to get technical, a "track" is different to a "route", you will never get a track to show on a nuvi gps. i think i mentioned it earlier, a track is a record the gps makes of where you actually have been (usually an acqua colour line) while a route is something you have created, or the gps auto-calculates for you.

i think there must be a way to import a route planned in mapsource or basecamp. the website states you can store up to 100 of these on your gps so it's just a matter of finding out where to do it in your menu system, then follow the steps i mentioned as closely as you can to stop it auto-routing. i'd try garmin suppport if you are stuck but from what i've heard their support is pretty lousy...
Old 04-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #21
AJC
Reformed Roadaholic

Garmin support

Here's what Garmin support had to say

"HI Andrew,
My aplogies. On closer inspection it was confirmed to me that routes cannot be transferred to a nuvi 2455 via Basecamp (only Dezl and zumo automotive units support this feature). See below.

Question: Can I transfer routes created on my device with Trip Planner to MapSource or BaseCamp?
Answer: Trip Planner is a feature on several automotive devices used for creating custom routes. These routes created using Trip Planner cannot be transferred to mapping programs like MapSource or BaseCamp. However, routes created using Mapsource or BaseCamp can be transferred to certain devices. To view compatible devices that can receive routes from MapSource or BaseCamp, see the article - How do I access routes transferred from the computer on a nuvi, LIVE, dezl, or zumo device?

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={65814150-50b3-11dc-4ec8-000000000000}
Last modified on: 02/06/2013

The best we could suggest would be to create the route with trip planner in the unit itself."

Looks like i bought the wrong Nuvi
Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #22
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

sorry if i led you astray on that AJC, i've revised my first post now accordingly. that seems ridiculous that garmin give the 2455 the capacity to store 100 routes but expect you to plan them all on the gps unit itself??? garmin products are certainly not known for being user friendly, i hope they'll allow you swap it for a model that does accept routes.

one thing that must might be worth trying first, export your file in the gpx format, then if you can find a gpx folder on your gps unit or the sd card then copy it to there. you might just find the gps will then pick it up. slim chance though....
Old 04-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #23
AJC
Reformed Roadaholic

already tried that one B1, no go i'm afraid. Looks to me like another classic case of marketing doing their own thing and not working with other departments. I'll have to see if I can sell it on eBay and then hopefully get one that is compatible.

looks like you guys had some fun up round our neck of the woods on the weekend.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #24
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
already tried that one B1, no go i'm afraid. Looks to me like another classic case of marketing doing their own thing and not working with other departments. I'll have to see if I can sell it on eBay and then hopefully get one that is compatible.

looks like you guys had some fun up round our neck of the woods on the weekend.
sure did, i'll be posting a video in a few minutes. some awesome riding up around imbil...

re: the garmin, it might be worth pushing their distributors about it. i really like the rekluse clutch but found some of their marketing misleading. emails and phone calls did no good, so i did a blog reviewing the clutch and my experiences with it, as well as posting about it on various relevant threads. once i sent them all the links they were incredibly fast at resolving the issue. i wasn't nasty, tried to be objective, but sometimes they'll only respond when they think they'll lose future sales.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #25
AJC
Reformed Roadaholic

Once again thanks for all the help and advice B1. I've finally got everything working now. I bought a Nuvi 1450 (going to eBay the 2455) and followed your instructions and all working great now, and contrary to Garmin Supports advice the 1450 IS compatible with Basecamp. Just one question, i've been trying to see how many vias/waypoints i can get away with on a route so now have a number of routes that failed to import sitting in the MY DATA/IMPORT ROUTES list. Any idea how to clear them out?
Old 04-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #26
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Once again thanks for all the help and advice B1. I've finally got everything working now. I bought a Nuvi 1450 (going to eBay the 2455) and followed your instructions and all working great now, and contrary to Garmin Supports advice the 1450 IS compatible with Basecamp. Just one question, i've been trying to see how many vias/waypoints i can get away with on a route so now have a number of routes that failed to import sitting in the MY DATA/IMPORT ROUTES list. Any idea how to clear them out?

tools / my data / delete selected routes

you can also clear your trip log in this section.
and sometimes a custom route leaves unwanted points as "favourites" in the garmin, in this section you can use "delete favourites" to clean those up as well.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #27
AJC
Reformed Roadaholic

but after doing all that I then go into TOOLS/MY DATA//IMPORT ROUTES and in the list that starts with Select All the routes are all still there, even the ones it couldn't import due to too many via points, its not clearing this list and if the unit is limited to 10 routes wont this cause problems?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #28
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

nope. just one of those garmin quirks that they stay there. i think they eventually disappear when you've imported ten new routes that wipe out the old ones.

the only way to truly clean it up is reset the gps totally. start it up holding a finger on the bottom right hand part of the screen. it will ask if you want to reset the system. then you just need to re-enter any favourites you have, your home location etc.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #29
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
garmin

You cannot upload routes to the Garmin 1300 series (1350 or 1390s) GPS. Even with basecamp, you cannot upload the routes. I have the 1390 lt and there is no place in it for it to except customized routes. Basecamp will recognize it as a device, but everything is grayed out when you try to upload to the device.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #30
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,687
this really interesting to me because i have been contemplating a gps for ages.
I am interested in a montana and being able to get data of a gps to see where i have been on google earth.
To start to learn i have bought an old nuvi 2350.I made sure i got a garmin that would accept routes.Like the 2455 the 2350 accepts 100 routes.UNLIKE the 2455 it does not have route planner.Is this the crucial difference?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cata...eProduct=67374