ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #46
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
I've been using a cheap USB cig lighter adapter to power my Garmin GPSs for years. They do go into data transfer mode for 30 seconds or so when first plugged in but then they load the maps and work normally. The only downside I've seen to using the generic USB adapter is the additional time it takes to boot up into driving mode.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #47
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
I've been using a cheap USB cig lighter adapter to power my Garmin GPSs for years. They do go into data transfer mode for 30 seconds or so when first plugged in but then they load the maps and work normally. The only downside I've seen to using the generic USB adapter is the additional time it takes to boot up into driving mode.
Now that you mention that; I did think it took a bit to load the map. although I was basing this solely on comparison to the factory installed one in my Jeep.
Is your generic cord working for data upload, too?
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #48
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShooter View Post
Now that you mention that; I did think it took a bit to load the map. although I was basing this solely on comparison to the factory installed one in my Jeep.
Is your generic cord working for data upload, too?
Yes it will. I've got half a dozen generic USB cables and I don't even know which one is my original Garmin cable and every one of those cables works fine to connect the gps for map updates, downloading routes with BaseCamp etc. I had been using one of those cheap little cigarette lighter usb chargers on the bike, then plugged into a cigaretter to powerlet adapter because I have a powerlet port right there at the handlebars. I had them all taped together but would have to wiggle them occasionally while on our last week long ride.

I have since installed a 3BR USB outlet direct from the battery so I can lose all those connectors. Now it's just a simple usb cable to the gps.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #49
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Yes it will. I've got half a dozen generic USB cables and I don't even know which one is my original Garmin cable and every one of those cables works fine to connect the gps for map updates, downloading routes with BaseCamp etc. I had been using one of those cheap little cigarette lighter usb chargers on the bike, then plugged into a cigaretter to powerlet adapter because I have a powerlet port right there at the handlebars. I had them all taped together but would have to wiggle them occasionally while on our last week long ride.

I have since installed a 3BR USB outlet direct from the battery so I can lose all those connectors. Now it's just a simple usb cable to the gps.
Well, thats good to hear. I dint want to have to fool with some propriatory cable just to use it. I dont like it when companies dont want you to use their product unless every accessory for it is their's, too. The very reason I dont own any Sony or Apple products
Old 10-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #50
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Quote:

Well, thats good to hear. I dint want to have to fool with some propriatory cable just to use it. I dont like it when companies dont want you to use their product unless every accessory for it is their's, too. The very reason I dont own any Sony or Apple products
Old 10-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #51
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShooter View Post
I tried the unit out the other day in the car as I did a few errans around town. It was powered up for at least an hour or so with a run-of-the-mill cigarette adapter that I had that happen to fit the plug on back. I fooled around with it a lil while my daughter was at guitar lessons and all the features seemed to work. However, like I said, I haven't tried loading any data onto it yet, though I do have a USB cord that will fit. I might get daring later and try it.
i predict you will be able to send routes to it but you wont find them on the unit.You can plug in the garmin to a computer and with a little download(garmin connect or similar) you will be able to send single waypoints from google maps.
This is how my 2350 behaves,You can however get tracks back of the gps
Old 10-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #52
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
i predict you will be able to send routes to it but you wont find them on the unit.You can plug in the garmin to a computer and with a little download(garmin connect or similar) you will be able to send single waypoints from google maps.
This is how my 2350 behaves,You can however get tracks back of the gps
I've settled on my 2595 for my moto gps. Supports routes from Basecamp with multiple waypoints etc. I gave up on my 3550 on the bike because it always tilts due to a stupid gyro automatic screen flipping. The 2595 can flip the screen but it's a manual setting, perfect for the bike. Another bonus of the 2595 is that it works with gloves on. The 3550 would not work with gloves, I had to remove a glove and use a finger.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #53
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I've settled on my 2595 for my moto gps. Supports routes from Basecamp with multiple waypoints etc. I gave up on my 3550 on the bike because it always tilts due to a stupid gyro automatic screen flipping. The 2595 can flip the screen but it's a manual setting, perfect for the bike. Another bonus of the 2595 is that it works with gloves on. The 3550 would not work with gloves, I had to remove a glove and use a finger.
hmmm 2595 eh thats good to know
Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #54
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
hmmm 2595 eh thats good to know
After I realized the 3550 wouldn't work on the bike I did a bunch of research to find out why it flipped the screen. I liked all the routing features and compatibility with Basecamp so I did a bunch more research to see what models had the features but not the new fangled gyro thing. Having the 2595 work with gloves was just an added bonus. I think I'll grab a second one to just keep as a spare because if the 3550 is any indication of newer models, then I'll stick with the 2595.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #55
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
After I realized the 3550 wouldn't work on the bike I did a bunch of research to find out why it flipped the screen. I liked all the routing features and compatibility with Basecamp so I did a bunch more research to see what models had the features but not the new fangled gyro thing. Having the 2595 work with gloves was just an added bonus. I think I'll grab a second one to just keep as a spare because if the 3550 is any indication of newer models, then I'll stick with the 2595.
the real trick here is that you have found a nuvi that will accpet multi stop routes from basecamp.By far the most nuvi s dont,even if the specs say they support routes
Old 10-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #56
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
the real trick here is that you have found a nuvi that will accpet multi stop routes from basecamp.By far the most nuvi s dont,even if the specs say they support routes
+1
You can't beat the 2595 for a low cost GPS.
Although it can't take tracks and gets confused on dirt roads at times, the Bluetooth works with the Sensa Com's, it takes a beating an is easy to use no matter what gloves I'm wearing.

http://www.costco.com/.product.10003...uctsInCategory

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #57
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
What do you folks use for a mounting setup on the 2595?
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #58
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
2595LMT vs 2597LMT

anybody know of any issues with the 2597?

looked at gpscompared and gpscity but I expect they're not going to consider much in the adv/motorcycle use area.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #59
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
What do you folks use for a mounting setup on the 2595?
I have a ram ball mount and then just bought the specific bracket for the 2595

1ea RAM Mount Garmin nuvi 2555 2595 Series Cradle RAM-HOL-GA52U 1ea $11.95ea
http://www.gpscity.ca/search/q=ram-hol-ga52u

Here it is with my Delorme PN-60 mounted for off road trips, I just swap out the cradle for the 2595.

With the above cradle you'll need the ram ball mount and an arm of whatever length you need/want.

Here's the complete mount package...
http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-garm...149-ga52u.html
Old 10-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #60
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
anybody know of any issues with the 2597?

looked at gpscompared and gpscity but I expect they're not going to consider much in the adv/motorcycle use area.
It looks like to me it should be OK for bike use, it has the same screen type as the 2595. It was the manual dual orientation that was key for mounting on a bike, you just set it for landscape and forget it.

"Display type: manual dual-orientation, WQVGA color TFT with white backlight "

The 3595 had a newer fancier screen that didn't work with gloves and would auto rotate from leaning.

"multi-touch, glass, dual-orientation, WVGA color TFT with white backlight"
^^^^ stay away from these ^^^^