ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #91
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Grin, I tried it today and you're right it, the 1490 does think it is a computer, but if you let it completely boot up(green line goes across the bottom of the screen) then wait another 30 seconds you can hit the "on" button again and it will start up for navigation use. I verified that it is charging so now I just need to take the seat & tank off to route the USB cord up to the dash.

The RAM mount should be here early next week along with the Topo's.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:10 AM   #92
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, I could not see or get the topo's to load onto the 1490T. They were not a Garmin branded product, so I am sending them back to the seller. I could not even find a program that could open them on my computer.

I will buy Garmin Topo's but has anyone here has success in viewing them on a Nuvi? This stuff is all new to me, so I feel like I am stumbling around in the dark on a windy night with a candle.

Edit: got it working via SD Micro card & can see the topo's on the 1490T. I will report back how it does on a ride...........

Motor7 screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 12:31 PM
Old 04-09-2014, 05:52 AM   #93
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Great thread. Been using my garmin 76cx for years and decided to upgrade. Reading this thread I decided on the garnin 2595lmt. seems to fit with what I want and picked one up on Amazon for $130.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:51 AM   #94
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
I'm thinking of picking up Nuvi 2597LMT. 5 inch screen.

Does anyone know how easy it is to read the screen in direct Sunlight on a nice and bright day?

Also, will I have problems loading Asia/Europe/S. America maps on it? Do I need to get rid of the NA maps to do that? Is it possible to keep Asia maps on the memory card, for example?
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:59 AM   #95
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Wit, looking at mine the first time outside in full sun....I'm gonna need a hood. The aftermarket ones are pretty short, so I think I will just fab one up that does a better job.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #96
Lifes2short
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Garmin Nuvi car gps as a budget >$250 adv setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I've settled on my 2595 for my moto gps. Supports routes from Basecamp with multiple waypoints etc. I gave up on my 3550 on the bike because it always tilts due to a stupid gyro automatic screen flipping. The 2595 can flip the screen but it's a manual setting, perfect for the bike. Another bonus of the 2595 is that it works with gloves on. The 3550 would not work with gloves, I had to remove a glove and use a finger.

A little delayed in getting to this thread, but I just picked up a refurb 2595LMT from GPSCity for $120. Figured I couldn't find anything better for the price. Spent far of much time researching this crap but my phone won't take me where I'm going, not without data at least. Just wanted to say all the info here was very helpful.

Cheers.
Lifes2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #97
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post

Does anyone know how easy it is to read the screen in direct Sunlight on a nice and bright day?

Also, will I have problems loading Asia/Europe/S. America maps on it? Do I need to get rid of the NA maps to do that? Is it possible to keep Asia maps on the memory card, for example?
You shouldn't have any trouble. I loaded maps for Costa Rica onto my 1450 and that worked great. All depends on space whether you'll have to get rid of your NA maps. Load an SD card if you need more space, I think GPSCity recommend only using up to an 8 gig card.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #98
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
I have a 2595LMT, it gets washed out in bright sunlight. I tried a store-bought glare shield but it didn't help much. I'm making my own using a black plastic folder I picked up at an office supplies store.

Other than that I like the 2595 so far. It's not waterproof but I figure that's what plastic bags are for.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:24 AM   #99
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:

I added all the topo maps I use on my 2595 without having to add a memory card. It does get washed out a little with sunlight. The only problem Ive found is uploading a route off a gpx file. Having read all the posts I figured this would be a problem and it is. Found out for me its easier to use trip planner on the unit with topo map loaded and plot waypoints along the route, A bit slow but it works....
Old 05-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #100
jenkkimike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I am seriously considering ordering a refurbished Garmin 2595 for $99 and free shipping. I love playing with routes on google maps and my only requirement for a GPS is that I can pre-plan my routes on google maps/ basecamp, load onto my GPS, then plug it in on the bike and have it direct me on the route I mapped.

I have read this thread and have seen mixed results for the 2595. Can anybody confirm that I can do the above with a 2595? I don't care about voice navigation, blue tooth, music, etc.

Also and equally importantly, is there a way to mount the 2595 with this?

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-m...strom-dl650-12

My strom came with this gps mount and its all wired and set up for an $800 zumo that the previous owner did not include with the sale. I have a USB port wired up too.

I would love to mount a 2595 on this thing. I am NOT going to spend $800 for a GPS. I am in an evening graduate program and just wrote a check for $3600 to the university . The only reason I am considering the GPS is because its $99 and may do what I want it to.

Thanks for the help!
jenkkimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #101
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkkimike View Post
I am seriously considering ordering a refurbished Garmin 2595 for $99 and free shipping. I love playing with routes on google maps and my only requirement for a GPS is that I can pre-plan my routes on google maps/ basecamp, load onto my GPS, then plug it in on the bike and have it direct me on the route I mapped.

I have read this thread and have seen mixed results for the 2595. Can anybody confirm that I can do the above with a 2595? I don't care about voice navigation, blue tooth, music, etc.

Also and equally importantly, is there a way to mount the 2595 with this?

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-m...strom-dl650-12

My strom came with this gps mount and its all wired and set up for an $800 zumo that the previous owner did not include with the sale. I have a USB port wired up too.

I would love to mount a 2595 on this thing. I am NOT going to spend $800 for a GPS. I am in an evening graduate program and just wrote a check for $3600 to the university . The only reason I am considering the GPS is because its $99 and may do what I want it to.

Thanks for the help!
I just use these holders, buy the proper one for the Nuvi model I need...

http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-garm...hol-ga52u.html

These mounts have screw holes that work with the ram ball etc. so I have a ball mounted on my gps and one on my handlebar mount and use the ram clamp in between. You'd need the quick mount plate to bolt to this holder or buy the quick mount holder IF they make one for a Nuvi but they probably only make them for the Zumos at least according to the TT site.

You'd probably spend as much for the quick release bracket or more than just buying the whole ram mount setup like I described. Here's the one I bought for my 3550 for $40

http://www.gpscity.ca/search/q=ram-b-149-ga53u
Old 05-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #102
jenkkimike
Gnarly Adventurer

I actually have an unused ram mount in my handlebars. I know that mounting a gps to it is always an option. I prefer the central and tucked away location of the sw motech cradle over having gps on my handlebars.

The TT website actually had a drop down menu for the sw motech set up for various types of gps. It says nuvi 2xxx series for $6.15. If that's all I need I'd be golden. I live 90 miles away from twisted throttle so maybe I'll drop in this weekend and ask there.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #103
jd2577
The Boy Ruger

Oddometer: 75
My better half got me a Nuvi 2597 for Christmas and I followed up with a RAM Aquabox to mount it on the bike. Unfortunately I have yet to try out the setup but am hopeful. I like the aquabox option in case I get caught in a downpour. The downside, the aquabox kit will cost almost as much as the GPS you're looking at.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-wat...ake-mount.html
jd2577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #104
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2577 View Post
My better half got me a Nuvi 2597 for Christmas and I followed up with a RAM Aquabox to mount it on the bike. Unfortunately I have yet to try out the setup but am hopeful. I like the aquabox option in case I get caught in a downpour. The downside, the aquabox kit will cost almost as much as the GPS you're looking at.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-wat...ake-mount.html
Here's my aqua box, I keep a half dozen in my tank bag, plus a couple of elastics from the broccoli at the grocery store...

been working just fine for the past 5-6 years and through some torrential rains.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #105
jenkkimike
Gnarly Adventurer

The 2595 arrived today. It goes into mass storage mode whenever the USB is plugged in, whether it be the computer or the USB on my bike. I did a search for work arounds and found some that supposedly work on other Nuvis but they do not work on the 2595. What a piece of shit. It's useless to me right now. I do not have a 12v cigaratte adapter on the bike to use the car charger with.

Does anybody know the solution?

On a side note, Basecamp is so utterly slow that it is completely unusable. What an all around POS.

jenkkimike screwed with this post 05-24-2014 at 07:07 PM