ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #106
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkkimike View Post
The 2595 arrived today. It goes into mass storage mode whenever the USB is plugged in, whether it be the computer or the USB on my bike. I did a search for work arounds and found some that supposedly work on other Nuvis but they do not work on the 2595. What a piece of shit. It's useless to me right now. I do not have a 12v cigaratte adapter on the bike to use the car charger with.

Does anybody know the solution?

On a side note, Basecamp is so utterly slow that it is completely unusable. What an all around POS.
Replied to your post in the other thread.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #107
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Firmware update

On that 2595 you might want to do a firmware update.

I had another model Nuvi that was doing the same thing, after I did a firmware update it sorted it out.

I built up 4 power converters to power Nuvi's for a couple of friends and myself. When I try it on the Nuvi's, 2 of the units immediately go in power mode, and 2 go into USD data storage mode but after 15-30 seconds goes into power mode.

It has to do with the fact that Garmin uses a non-standard usage for an otherwise unused pin on the micro USB connector. Garmin ties this pin to something like 17k resistor to the positive pin. Some people have good luck tying it directly to positive or ground (what ever pin is right next to this pin). Do a search and look it up...
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #108
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
On that 2595 you might want to do a firmware update.

I had another model Nuvi that was doing the same thing, after I did a firmware update it sorted it out.

I built up 4 power converters to power Nuvi's for a couple of friends and myself. When I try it on the Nuvi's, 2 of the units immediately go in power mode, and 2 go into USD data storage mode but after 15-30 seconds goes into power mode.

It has to do with the fact that Garmin uses a non-standard usage for an otherwise unused pin on the micro USB connector. Garmin ties this pin to something like 17k resistor to the positive pin. Some people have good luck tying it directly to positive or ground (what ever pin is right next to this pin). Do a search and look it up...
I just wait the 15-30 seconds. Never had it NOT go into GPS mode.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #109
PowerSlide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I too have 2595lmt. Not very impressed so far. Mostly it's been a massive waste of time. I have figured out how to transfer waypoints from but I can't transfer a route. Maybe I'm transfering to the wrong folder? More faffing with it tomorrow

Gar
PowerSlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #110
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,079
as per the original post, garmin are pretty useless when it comes to being user-friendly.

it sounds like are trying to transfer your file manually? if you are using mapsource or basecamp it's easier to just connect your gps to the computer and click the send button and it will send the file to the relevant gpx folder. it's all covered on various threads, i think there's a link in the original post...
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #111
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
as per the original post, garmin are pretty useless when it comes to being user-friendly.

it sounds like are trying to transfer your file manually? if you are using mapsource or basecamp it's easier to just connect your gps to the computer and click the send button and it will send the file to the relevant gpx folder. it's all covered on various threads, i think there's a link in the original post...
It's about as easy as it can get. Took a few nights with Basecamp learning how I wanted it to route etc. but now it works very well and as you said, one click, send to gps, done.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #112
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
I love the idea of using a cheap car orientated GPS for the bike. The motorcycle specific ones are a complete rip off.

I have been using a Nexus 7" tablet with moving map s/w and georeferenced topos in my tank bag which works well but hard read in sunlight while on the go.

Which of the Garmins is the most readable in bright daylight conditions?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #113
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
I love the idea of using a cheap car orientated GPS for the bike. The motorcycle specific ones are a complete rip off.

I have been using a Nexus 7" tablet with moving map s/w and georeferenced topos in my tank bag which works well but hard read in sunlight while on the go.

Which of the Garmins is the most readable in bright daylight conditions?
Read back a few posts, people were talking about visors etc., I don't have any trouble reading my 2595 unless the sun is shining right over my shoulder. If you're looking for a Nuvi make sure you do some research and make sure it has manual orientation. the 2595 is good on a bike, but the 3550 is useless, it switches orientation automatically and won't switch back to landscape until you stop, then the first corner you lean into it flips back to portrait. You also can't use the touch screen on the 3550 with gloves, you have to take your gloves off to do anything unlike the 2595 which is glove friendly.

Sorry, it was the other Nuvi thread that was talking about glare etc.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1177

bross screwed with this post 06-04-2014 at 08:59 PM
Old 06-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #114
Slappy00
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I just went and bought a 2595LMT off of Amazon for $128, glad it works well with route planning.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #115
Bhewson
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Nuvi 2595LMT

I have had a Garmin 2610 for years but the screen is failing and I'm not inclined to buy a bike specific one to replace it. For $130CDN I can get a 2595LMT (Costco Canada)

I have not seen this unit but I gather it uses a USB cord for power, so to power it from the bike I'll need use a 12V to USB adapter (clunky) or if there is a purpose built cord?? or figure out a resistor value and solder into a chopped USB cord to drop 12V to 5V. Suggestions?

Baggy for waterproofing is fine.

Lastly, is anyone familiar with a mount that will work on a horizontal 1/2" bar?

My BMW GSW has that bar and came with the Nav prep mount for the $800 BMW Nav 5. I removed it and currently have adapted my 2610 mount to work on that bar.

I don't need all the ball & clamp hardware (RAM), just a way to secure a Nuvi mount to a horizontal bar. I am sure I can make up what I need if necessary from a piece of Delrin or similar but there must be a mount for a horizontal rail?? I have searched but haven't found one yet so any tips appreciated.

I loved how I could program the 2610 to display what I wanted (time/distance to next turn, time/distance to destination, current location). With a glance
you knew where you were going and when you'd needed to turn. No voice, bluetooth, camera, MP3 etc etc required!

I keep hearing how dumb downed the Garmin product line is now but truly
haven't look at GPSs for a long time. Hopefully I can set up the 2595
to display is a similar manner?

regards
Bhewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #116
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhewson View Post
I have had a Garmin 2610 for years but the screen is failing and I'm not inclined to buy a bike specific one to replace it. For $130CDN I can get a 2595LMT (Costco Canada)

I have not seen this unit but I gather it uses a USB cord for power, so to power it from the bike I'll need use a 12V to USB adapter (clunky) or if there is a purpose built cord?? or figure out a resistor value and solder into a chopped USB cord to drop 12V to 5V. Suggestions?

Baggy for waterproofing is fine.

Lastly, is anyone familiar with a mount that will work on a horizontal 1/2" bar?

My BMW GSW has that bar and came with the Nav prep mount for the $800 BMW Nav 5. I removed it and currently have adapted my 2610 mount to work on that bar.

I don't need all the ball & clamp hardware (RAM), just a way to secure a Nuvi mount to a horizontal bar. I am sure I can make up what I need if necessary from a piece of Delrin or similar but there must be a mount for a horizontal rail?? I have searched but haven't found one yet so any tips appreciated.

I loved how I could program the 2610 to display what I wanted (time/distance to next turn, time/distance to destination, current location). With a glance
you knew where you were going and when you'd needed to turn. No voice, bluetooth, camera, MP3 etc etc required!

I keep hearing how dumb downed the Garmin product line is now but truly
haven't look at GPSs for a long time. Hopefully I can set up the 2595
to display is a similar manner?

regards
I use a 3BR USB plug on my bikes, works well with the 2595...

http://www.gpscity.ca/3br-powersport...nt-saddle.html

not sure about the mount but there are a few generic mounts for the 2000 series. I have an EZ-Roller with a ram ball bolted to the back, no reason you can't bolt another mount to the back of the EZ-Roller, check on the gpscity site, they have just about everything you could need for your gps.

The 2595 lets you switch between different dashboards and those can be customized so you should be fine getting the display to show what you want. I think you'll be happy with the 2595, and yes the zip lock sandwich bag works very well for waterproofing.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #117
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Anyone use the Garmin 55? Looks like a good cheap option; good screen resolution, non-reflective screen, fixed screen orientation (landscape), accepts topo maps, takes SD cards.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #118
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I use a 3BR USB plug on my bikes, works well with the 2595...

http://www.gpscity.ca/3br-powersport...nt-saddle.html

not sure about the mount but there are a few generic mounts for the 2000 series. I have an EZ-Roller with a ram ball bolted to the back, no reason you can't bolt another mount to the back of the EZ-Roller, check on the gpscity site, they have just about everything you could need for your gps.

The 2595 lets you switch between different dashboards and those can be customized so you should be fine getting the display to show what you want. I think you'll be happy with the 2595, and yes the zip lock sandwich bag works very well for waterproofing.
I believe you have to use the cig lighter cord to get the traffic feature on the 2595 to work. It includes the antenna. I use a ram mount and the cig power adapter to run my 2595...
Old 06-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #119
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlywill View Post
I believe you have to use the cig lighter cord to get the traffic feature on the 2595 to work. It includes the antenna. I use a ram mount and the cig power adapter to run my 2595...
Traffic? What's that? I'm in Canada, we have 1/10th the people spread out across more real estate. Sorry this traffic thing is a mystery. I do bitch if I have to wait for a car before pulling onto the highway from my place though.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #120
bross
Where we riding to?

Elevation data? in Basecamp

Not necessarily moto related but I'm struggling with getting my 3550 to recognize elevations for routing. I have the following maps installed on the 3550:

Cnna-Na-DEM North America DEM
CN North America NT 2015.10 3D
CN North America NT 2015.10 ALL

If I try to see elevations I get the following error: "The current map does not contain any elevation data on the selected routes"

even if I have the 3550 plugged into the computer and select the map on the 3550. The reason I'm trying to use elevations is for the RV actiivty profile so I can limit climbs while in our RV. I had chosen the RV profile and knew it was set to "minimize ascents" and picked a route and away we went. NOT the best route to take our 39' toy hauler. I kinda figured we should be taking another highway but knew it had a long pass on it as well. It wasn't till we got home and I played with the route that I realized Basecamp wasn't using any elevation data, even though the 3550 with the DEM loaded should have it? should it not? I've tried reloading the map to the device and the computer but it still never sees any elevation data? Thanks for any insight.