Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
Noprogram
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 78
Hi Adam obvoiusly sorted out it's Paeroa...L&P being a NZ cultural icon of sorts along with Marmite, Vegemite, Weetbix etc. You know to pass your 'Kiwiness' test you have eat three dry Weetbix with Vegemite don't you?

Anyway welcome to the country! I grew up in Marlborough and it's a great area for exploring the outdoors. Weather's nice, an accessible scale plus you have the Sounds at your door step. Great wines as well of course.

I could see the appeal of having something like a GS for general South Island touring with some gravel roads thrown in. My Africa Twin is pretty handy as an Adventure bike for NZ and more than happy with it, however a simplier and lighter 650 IMO would be more versatile for a lot local exploring situations around the South and will do longer trips without any problems.

Obviously the bigger bikes are comfortable to cover the miles on and not bad on typical gravel roads like the Molesworth and Rainbow but there's times where you might want to just have a look/up down a small track to a river etc and might not choose to take a big bike down without careful consideration..... a 1/4 of ton of stuck bike isn't pretty!

A 400 (XR, DRZ etc) is versatile for trail riding/exploring but limited fuel range, load capacity and general comfort if you want to do some camping or take your wife out for a lap around the Queen Charlotte Drive or out to Portage etc. These types of trails are not as common or accessible unless you're living on or friends with one of the big stations or are into blasting up fire roads. -The North Bank.

Knowing the region my pick would be something like a DR650; cheapish, reliable, simple, lots of them in NZ and will do mostly everything albeit with some compromise i.e. it will cope with 90% of the type of accessible roads, 4x4 tracks resonably well and still allow you to do lightweight road touring. With determination you'll get it through most terrain around the region.

Beautiful riding up to Nelson Lakes through the Lewis pass etc. When it open in summer scoot through the Rainbow to Hanmer. Get out there!

"If you're going to be stupid you better be tough"

Noprogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #17
Noprogram
High Plains Drifter

Close by.....

Old 05-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #18
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
Hi radam
I have listed my bike on here

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...763897&ed=true

Have a looksie & see if it is your cup of tea
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #19
Noprogram
High Plains Drifter

Nice bike Padmei....with the Safari tank the KLX/DRZ are a good all-rounder for NZ adventure riding. I wasn't sure if Adam was looking for a two up bike or something lighter to explore all the local back roads.

This would get you everywhere Adam no problem and has a Safari tank and 12V socket for running your electrics. Safari tanks aren't cheap to get in so this is a good price (I don't know Padmei BTW). Not as comfortable on the road as a DR650 perhaps but everything is relative. Put some D606's on this and will be a great machine for backroads Marlborough.

My XR650R is a similar concept as an NZ adventure bike but the DRZ is more common as a bike and better parts availabilty. Point to point on the road isn't necessarily that far in NZ before you might do a dirt section...Maruia Saddle track and the Braeburn track are great rides and not far away.

Good thread on a local DRZ setup...

http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/arti...-adv-build.php

Old 05-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #20
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
I'm beginning to like you NPG

Don't go reading Josh's site- he has a tendency to farkle anything that isn't already looking like a crystal disco ball. A good dose of suburban family life sucking the marrow out of his bones would stop that
Those Giant loop bags look good on the XR.
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #21
Noprogram
High Plains Drifter

Heh, heh...Josh's DRZ is pretty well equiped that's for sure. Nice workmanship....obviously got too much time and money on his hands and needs some liabilities eh?!

I do like the DRZ/KLX 400 as the do it all Adventure bike. Best combination of power, weight and reliability IMO. I sometimes ride with a couple of mates with XR400's around the Lewis/Nelson Lakes area and while the XRV is great for hauling a touring load out across the Huranui I'm always at a disadvantge when I get to the ride and often wish I took a lighter bike. Trying to wrestle the Queen up something like the Porika track becomes 'interesting'. See you've got wide pegs on as well....everything's done!

Adam: Obviously two bikes are better than just being allowed one....sooo you get a lightweight adv bike first and when your wife complains about not being able to go out riding then you can work the magic rationalisation on a second steed?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #22
Radam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
It looks like a pretty rad set up! I've got my eye on a couple other bikes right now that end before yours. I've got a bid in on the project bike I've always wanted (cb400 four). If I can get it for cheap and talk my wife into letting me get yours I'll be in heaven. In reality, if I get that bike I may have to let her pic the second bike. She likes goldwings because the back seat may as well say "lazy boy" on it. Good luck with your auction. I wish I could afford to get everything I want.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #23
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radam View Post
It looks like a pretty rad set up! I've got my eye on a couple other bikes right now that end before yours. I've got a bid in on the project bike I've always wanted (cb400 four). If I can get it for cheap and talk my wife into letting me get yours I'll be in heaven. In reality, if I get that bike I may have to let her pic the second bike. She likes goldwings because the back seat may as well say "lazy boy" on it. Good luck with your auction. I wish I could afford to get everything I want.
Welcome to the area mate, let me know if you get an adventure bike as I'd be happy to show you some of the trails I know around the area that are easy to access and not too taxing. (I'm not a fan of dragging bikes out of bogs so I tend to take it easy )
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

My XT225 Build
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #24
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Bogs and gorse are very underrated...
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #25
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Bogs and gorse are very underrated...
I seem to find enough bogs and gorse when pig hunting and it's hard enough getting myself through let alone a bike.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

My XT225 Build
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #26
Radam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey guys, I looked at a 1986 DR600 today. It's on trademe. I took it for a ride and it seems good. The guy says it uses about 1 litre of oil for every 400k or so, and the chain will need replaced sometime in the nearish future. How much should I worry about the oil, and how hard would it be to find a chain? I have to make a decision by the morning. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

He wants $2700
Old 05-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #27
NordieBoy
Armature speller

That's a shitload of oil.

Is it leaking/losing it or burning it?

Worn rings come to mind.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #28
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,451
chains are in abundant supply at any bike shop or on line. I would be more worried about the oil consumption, thats a lot of oil for 400k's
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #29
Radam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rings were my first thought as well. It seemed like a lot to me too. The odometer says 37000k and he says that's what it has, but I wonder if it's 137. It doesn't seem to be leaking, so I was thinking burning. It didn't seem to be smoking, but the oil has to be going somewhere.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:55 AM   #30
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radam View Post
Rings were my first thought as well. It seemed like a lot to me too. The odometer says 37000k and he says that's what it has, but I wonder if it's 137. It doesn't seem to be leaking, so I was thinking burning. It didn't seem to be smoking, but the oil has to be going somewhere.
Nige is the local "bike using oil" expert.

Paging innathis... innathys... innerthighs... WOODMAN!