Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
SteelWind OP
Impossible Aventurer

Oddometer: 72
AMRA false accusation and apology

Hello all,

I recently raced in the San Manuel 2014 series of AMRA. It was fun for about 30 minutes until my transmission chewed up something. This weekend I finally got around to tearing the whole bike down and found shattered pieces of a bearing in my transmission along with broken teeth on clutch hub and primary pinion.

This seemed odd... If a bearing fails you usually find 2 races on the shaft that it failed on along with lots of balls. Later on I found a dust cover for a shielded bearing. Again very odd, as I look at my transmission and see nothing, but open bearings with seals on the outside. I found all the pieces of the bearing and started comparing sizes and searching for missing bearings using an OEM manual. Could not find any bearings that matched what I had here.

After finding all the pieces of the bearing and comparing them to the size of my oil fill cap, I felt an immediate sense of agony, disbelief, and disgust. It was the perfect sized bearing to drop through my oil fill cap. This was the second race I ever competed in, and it will be the last. I put this out as a warning to you other souls who have spent every dime they had just to go out and have a good time. Apparently if you aren't super rich and immoral, you are not welcome in AMRA.

Signing off,
SteelWind

SteelWind screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 07:34 PM
SteelWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,884
wow. this is so fucked up I don't even know what to say. So sorry you've had to go through this shit.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:53 AM   #3
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
What a bunch of fucking horseshit. Sorry to hear about that dude.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:12 AM   #4
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,964
AMRA beware of sabotage

That is messed up.
Do you not safety wire the fill and drain plugs?
I know I always did when I raced.
Perhaps in the future this might help
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,112
Pissed

Wow..... Pretty sad...
Old 02-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,299
That sux you should mention it on their feel good site, I am sure they will delete it ASAP

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
p3ga
Rounding Error

Oddometer: 937
I'd have this inspected / verified by a dealer or independent mechanic then have your attorney present this to the Overlords of the AMRA.......I'm sure an attorney or two would love to get their hands on something like this.

I doubt their liability or errors & omissions insurance would cover a deliberate act such as this at one of their events.

What's the statute out on damage to personal property that kicks it to a felony?

That's just incomprehensible, frankly it's sickening. Happy that you are safe.

p3ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWind View Post
Hello all,

I recently raced in the San Manuel 2014 series of AMRA. It was fun for about 30 minutes until my transmission chewed up something. This weekend I finally got around to tearing the whole bike down and found shattered pieces of a bearing in my transmission along with broken teeth on clutch hub and primary pinion.

This seemed odd... If a bearing fails you usually find 2 races on the shaft that it failed on along with lots of balls. Later on I found a dust cover for a shielded bearing. Again very odd, as I look at my transmission and see nothing, but open bearings with seals on the outside. I found all the pieces of the bearing and started comparing sizes and searching for missing bearings using an OEM manual. Could not find any bearings that matched what I had here.

After finding all the pieces of the bearing and comparing them to the size of my oil fill cap, I felt an immediate sense of agony, disbelief, and disgust. It was the perfect sized bearing to drop through my oil fill cap. This was the second race I ever competed in, and it will be the last. I put this out as a warning to you other souls who have spent every dime they had just to go out and have a good time. Apparently if you aren't super rich and immoral, you are not welcome in AMRA.

Signing off,
SteelWind

Sorry for your motor troubles, but do you have any real proof of tampering other than your supposition? I can't see your pictures so I'm not sure what you posted.

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Did you compete in the whole series? Did you win races? Do you even know any of the other racers?

Even if you won some races, you would hardly be a threat to anyone's place in the standings at this point in the season (but maybe you were?). It makes no sense that anyone would arbitrarily do something like that. I raced for many years and never heard of such a thing. Lots of people cheating to make their own bikes faster but not to purposely destroy anothers bike. In fact, I've had people give me parts so that I could race on Sunday after crashing on Saturday's practice. What you're describing is not the paddock I remember.

Are you sure it didn't happen at home? I once had my 4yr old nephew stuff safety wire in the spark plug holes of a newly rebuilt racing engine. That made for a very sad day after I tried to start it.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWind View Post
Hello all,

Signing off,
SteelWind

Did you mean AHRMA?
Seattle
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #11
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,436
AMRA looks to be Arizona Motorcycle Racers Association an the San Manuel round look like it was an off-road desert event. I am guessing the OP was on a 450 type bike.

Be nice if he would come back and give some details though.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
SteelWind OP
Impossible Aventurer

So... To all. I did not put this post up to be called a liar, to get a lawyer, to come up with ideas, or to find a way to exact retribution. I put this up as a warning, that is all. This happened. You can either believe me or not. I really don't give a ****.

SteelWind screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 03:28 PM
Old 02-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #13
SteelWind OP
Impossible Aventurer

This was on a 200 KTM EXC the bearing was just big enough (around 5mm ID, 20mm OD) to fit in an oil fill spout and was a shielded bearing. That should be enough. Try and find one in a KTM parts finder that matches the description. God knows I looked before I posted this.

I do not have children. I keep the bike locked up in a garage when I don't ride it. The race is the only time anyone would have an opportunity to do such a thing, as this was the only time I left my bike unattended.

I do not think I was targeted for my ability.

I regret very much even starting this post. I thought that people would heed a warning rather than try to attack the person spreading it.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #14
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
This is a very unusual scenario and we are trying to wrap our minds around the possibilities.

In my case, i'm hoping there is another explanation to this event other than: some random scumbag decides to sabotage the bike of a random competitor by dropping a skateboard bearing from his pocket into the tranny. No need to get a lawyer or to even respond but these are some questions that come to mind when i read about this.

What was the response from your fellow competitors or the race organizers?

there are 3 skateboard bearings as part of the waterpump and powervalve in a 200, could these have gotten loose within the case?

Is there room for such a bearing to drop past the clutch assembly via the filler plug? Your picture shows that the diameter fits through the filler hole diameter but in an assembled bike, the clutch fills up that cavity pretty well.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #15
SteelWind OP
Impossible Aventurer

2 water pump bearings and power valve bearings, present and accounted for... Even though the bearing I found is much too small to be any of these. Really it's much too small to be any of the bearings in my engine/transmission. The pieces of the one I found is shown last along with a ball.

Response from race organizers: They seem to only be concerned with whether I am lying..

Room to drop past the clutch assembly: I would say yes there is. It may fall on the clutch basket before it hits the bottom of the case, but yes I think it would make it to bottom of the case.

SteelWind screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 12:05 PM