User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,668
Pellet stoves: Who's got 'em?

It's a long story and I won't bore you all with the details unless you really want them. I'm not so interested in the stoves themselves, but more in the pellets.

For those of you with pellet stoves: If there was a good burning pellet that was "green" because it was made with easily renewable natural product and contained 30% post-consumer (recycled) product, would you spend a little more money on them?

Short version: This is just some preliminary info I'm gathering on behalf of a non-profit group that I serve as a board member for. We've been able to stay in the green (pun intended) because we do metals recycling, but the cardboard and paper products are big money losers for us. The idea of using that as part of a wood pellet product came to mind. Thing is, we still have to make it pay for itself.

BTW, the reason for the "30% post consumer" limit is that, from some real quick reading, if you burn more than 30% post consumer you could end up being classified as an incinerator by the EPA nazis. I need to check more into that, as well as whether higher concentrations would produce the BTU's.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,186
I've had one for several years.

Here's what I want in a pellet - low ash, hot fire, longest burn possible. Beyond that, pellets are already green because they are made from a waste product. Whether or not it is post consumer has no importance to me, because the substance they are made of is already a carbon neutral post manufacturing waste product.

I see what you are getting at, but unless you can find a way to turn your cardboard into pellets that perform comparably to compressed all sawdust pellets at a competitive price, I don't think you have a market.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,763
Our pellet supplier uses 100% beetle kill pine, there is 50 years worth in our forests.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
GJohnson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I put a Quadrafire insert in 3 seasons ago and love it. Has never broken down, in the cold of winter it burns about a bag per 24 hours, It does require a bit of upkeep, once per week I clean the fire box and empty the ashpan. Once per month I really clean the hell out of it and once per year I pull the piping apart and clean. Out propane bill went from $1500 per year down to about $600 and I burn about $400 in pellets.
GJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,894
our local City of Tulsa free to public green waste dump generates tons of ground up tree mulch ... all for free.

semi dump trailers get loaded for free with tons of mulch. which goes to no telling where... but probably pellets.

have been heating with wood for 6 seasons. buying pellets defeats entire purpose of heating with wood. if one is going to buy pellets, might as well pay for natural gas.

heating with wood is one of the few places, one has control of a major utility costs.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,064

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
our local City of Tulsa free to public green waste dump generates tons of ground up tree mulch ... all for free.

semi dump trailers get loaded for free with tons of mulch. which goes to no telling where... but probably pellets.

have been heating with wood for 6 seasons. buying pellets defeats entire purpose of heating with wood. if one is going to buy pellets, might as well pay for natural gas.

heating with wood is one of the few places, one has control of a major utility costs.
Your comment about pellets defeating the purpose of heating with wood is simply not true. There is a price paid for processing and packaging, a price I am happy to pay to avoid chopping, splitting, and stacking firewood.

My pellet stove dropped my heating bill by 40% while making the house feel warmer. That 40% figure also accounts for the electrical costs. The stove paid for itself in less than 4 years.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,421
Over 10 years heating with pellets.Only one brand of pellet that I have burned,Kentucky Kernel,has been made from a waste/byproduct.The KK pellet is made from the sawdust/shavings from a hardwood product mfg company.All of the other pellets that I have used are made from logs that have been harvested to be made into pellets.Pellets with too much junk,bark,etc,do not burn well. YMMV
Old 02-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Your comment about pellets defeating the purpose of heating with wood is simply not true. There is a price paid for processing and packaging, a price I am happy to pay to avoid chopping, splitting, and stacking firewood.

My pellet stove dropped my heating bill by 40% while making the house feel warmer. That 40% figure also accounts for the electrical costs. The stove paid for itself in less than 4 years.
wood is free, but time getting that wood home, spit and stacked is not. but it's my time that I choose to spend instead of paying fuel bills or pay for wood delivered.

there's advantages of pellet stoves of less handling. along with a few disadvantages of having to pay for pellets, less heat output vs conventional wood stoves, more mechanical parts to wear out, etc.

for me pellet stoves just didn't make sense .... your mileage obviously is different.

by the time one figures out costs of wood splitter, chainsaws, trailer, etc. pellet stoves are cheaper to setup .. but no way cheaper to run. which to me is the main reason to burn wood and completely renewable. if one uses proper wood stove, burns clean with little to no smoke from chimney.

again ... wood stoves are one of the few places one actually has control of their heating costs.

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 11:34 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,344
A pellet stove is nothing more than a "convenient" wood stove.

Until the power goes out for longer than the backup battery lasts...

Might as well have propane or NG.

So, to the OP: How about figuring out a way to turn the waste stream into clean burning firewood that can be had for $200-$250/cord and has at least as much heat as pine?

I'll buy your first cord of output and let you know how it burns.

rapidoxidationman screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 12:01 PM
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
STFU
Found

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I've had one for several years.

Here's what I want in a pellet - low ash, hot fire, longest burn possible. Beyond that, pellets are already green because they are made from a waste product. Whether or not it is post consumer has no importance to me, because the substance they are made of is already a carbon neutral post manufacturing waste product.

I see what you are getting at, but unless you can find a way to turn your cardboard into pellets that perform comparably to compressed all sawdust pellets at a competitive price, I don't think you have a market.

I agree with these statements 100%
XR250R
TR200 FATCAT!
STFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer: 316
OP -- A bit vague on just exactly what you're trying to accomplish here.

1. Convert product to pellets with a possible market value ?
2. Utilize the material in house with an energy recovery goal ?
3. Simply to convert the material to some useful form which would qualify as green recovery ?

Thanks,

Bokrijder
Old 02-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,421
A pellet stove is just a fuel injected,forced induction wood burning stove. The better pellet stoves are very adjustable and can put out alot of heat.The Harmon Stove Company makes some of the better pellet stoves,they also make very good wood and coal burning stoves.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
Maggot12
Banned

Oddometer: 3,689
I have a house in NS with both a woodstove and pellet.
These are the pellets that I burn.

http://www.shawresources.ca/wood-pellets

They have a spec sheet on their site to compare.

Both stoves have a place, obviously. There were times where I had the pellet stove going much more than the wood. We had huricane ywhan in 03 and I lost over 200 trees on my lot. So I bought a chainsaw and started cutting. That wood lasted me till 2008 and I only burned 10-20 bags of pellets those years, and only used on the coldest days.

Otherwise theyd share 50-50 duty. Natural gas is not in the area of that house and if it were I wouldn't need either stove.

The pellet is much more user friendly and more comfortable, but can't compete with the woodstove for raw heat.

The cost was about the same, but the convience of just stopping on the way home from work and picking up 4-6 bags of pellets, like you'd stop and get milk is hard to beat. But if you got free trees.....
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,906
I guess you could call these really big pellets http://www.northidahoenergylogs.com/ we burned the logs ( I see they now have pellets) the logs give you the benefit of small pellets with out the reliance on power for your fan and auger, you burn them in a conventional wood burner just like split wood, very little ash, huge heat and a very clean burn, plus they last a long time compared to a normal pine log that seems to burn up in about 30 minutes or so, 4 of these logs would heat a 1500 sf home for about 5-7 hours. We'd burn a pallet and a half per season.

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: