User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
zgfiredude OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Stupid Trip and Waypoint Manager/registration question....

I'm a GPS newbie, and I am lost.

I recently acquired a Garmin GPSmap 478 along with a recent bike purchase. I do not yet know if it's for me or not, but I damn sure want to try....

It came with almost all the accessories and bits from the original purchase, except the Trip and Waypoint Manager software. I decided that I would update/upgrade to the Topo 24k maps thinking that I'd get the T&WM with it. The clerk sold me the 24k on SD card......not cd. The unit was registered with Garmin by the original owner.

I have tried to register with Garmin, no go.
I have tried to sync the unit with my computer, no go.
I have now realized that the SD card version apparently does me no good. Due to the retail packaging, I "assumed" that I was getting a cd, but I did not.

Must I have T&WM on my computer in order to communicate with the unit?
Will Mapsource load from the SD card onto my Laptop? And then will the maps upload to the unit from the Laptop?

I'm a frustrated and challenged (read embarrassed) newbie.

Any guidance appreciated.

zgfiredude screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 08:44 PM Reason: Correcting to T&WM from Mapsource
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,645
You don't need mapsource - there are other programs that will do the communication thing... some better than others.

Tried basecamp? I think you can download that for free from the Garmin web site.

Did you get "trip and waypoint manager" with the GPS? It may have come with the new unit.... if you can get that going then you may be able to "update" mapsource ... and thus get mapsource?

Legal sources for mapsource ... buy the cheapest map (usually world map - very limited data) ON CD and thus get mapsource that way.

Maybe some one close has a CD they could let you use ... I've got 3 CDs of different Garmin maps .... only need one mapsource.

------------------
I'd send Garmin an email stating that you now own that GPS ... then they may alow you to register it?

==========
Mapsource will not load from the SD card. The maps are on the SD card only = they don't 'upload' to the GPS the SD card goes inside the GPS (if yours has an SD slot) then the GPS has them. If your GPS has no SD card slot ... return the SD card thingy to the retailer and complain... you want a CD one!
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
zgfiredude OP
Studly Adventurer

OOpppsss, I meant Trip and Waypoint Manager not Mapsource.......my bad.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
kiwi_outdoors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Garmin

when I bought my eTrex20 I went thru hell trying to load any software at all - I wound up loading Basecamp almost by accident on my Windows XP machine when I only intended to update the software on my eTrex unit.

Now I bought a new Windows 8 PC, and I am not going to load any Garmin crap untilI absolutely have to - which may be never.
kiwi_outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,685
You don't need Trip & Waypoint manager. It's pretty useless.

The SD card is also useless as your 478 doesn't accept SD cards. They should never have sold it to you. Take it back and get the DVD.

When you get the DVD, pop it in your computer and run the install. I prefer Mapsource, but that's me. It will work fine with your 478.

You should also ask the prior owner to cancel his registration on Mygarmin.com, it it's registered there. That way you can then register it in your name, get updates, etc.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
zgfiredude OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
You should also ask the prior owner to cancel his registration on Mygarmin.com, it it's registered there. That way you can then register it in your name, get updates, etc.
This is essential or you will never be able to register it as your own. If you need any help with Mapsource check the link in my signature line.
My SPOT - No tracks = not riding | Mapsource Tutorial | Husky TR650 Thread Index | Husky TR650 OEM and Interchangeable Parts List | Charter Member: T.O. Club | Voted - "Nicest Asshole you will ever meet" by my friends
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote